Gaming DSi XL mod? play Games.

madarauchia

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi I just bought a second hand DSi XL firmware 1.4. Im very confused as there are tons of Flash cards and tutorials. Does anyone knows the most secure and safe way to mod my DS to play Downloaded games.THanks

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
For DS games, just buy a flashcard, such as an R4i gold (r4ids.cn) or a DSTWO if you want higher performance SNES/GBA/PC emulation too

For the DSiware side, check if you have Flipnote or any DSiware that can be copied to SD (settings > data management), if you have Flipnote you can use ugopwn (leaked for USA region, official stable version for more regions Soon), if you have exportable DSiware you can hardmod

Reactions: madarauchia

madarauchia

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For DS games, just buy a flashcard, such as an R4i gold (r4ids.cn) or a DSTWO if you want higher performance SNES/GBA/PC emulation too

For the DSiware side, check if you have Flipnote or any DSiware that can be copied to SD (settings > data management), if you have Flipnote you can use ugopwn (leaked for USA region, official stable version for more regions Soon), if you have exportable DSiware you can hardmod

Thanks for the answer. IS hard modding difficult? I have average knowledge about modding. Also are the R4i gold permanent or will they stop working if a new update or game comes out? I want something that is permanent or R4i gold is good enough? Thanks

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
IS hard modding difficult?
Frankly, on a DSi, it is - the pins in a VGA port are almost double the size of what we're thinking of. But your local TV repair shop/"we unlock all mobile phones" can help

Also are the R4i gold permanent or will they stop working if a new update or game comes out?
Uhh, there are no more DS games, and no more DSi updates (you're not even on the latest one, and there's nothing to gain by updating 1.4 to 1.4.5 - unless you already have a DSiware game but no data management option)
Not every game is compatible with Wood (the kernel of R4i Gold) but at least 99.8% are. R4i Gold, like almost every flashcard still worth it, works on 1.4.5 too

Reactions: madarauchia

madarauchia

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Frankly, on a DSi, it is - the pins in a VGA port are almost double the size of what we're thinking of. But your local TV repair shop/"we unlock all mobile phones" can help

Uhh, there are no more DS games, and no more DSi updates (you're not even on the latest one, and there's nothing to gain by updating 1.4 to 1.4.5 - unless you already have a DSiware game but no data management option)
Not every game is compatible with Wood (the kernel of R4i Gold) but at least 99.8% are. R4i Gold, like almost every flashcard still worth it, works on 1.4.5 too
SInce there are tons of websites that claim they sell originals. Do you know Any reputable site where I can get it?

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
SInce there are tons of websites that claim they sell originals. Do you know Any reputable site where I can get it?
nds-card.com, our sponsor

Don't be afraid of the under the table way you have to go through for payments, the truth is major credit cards and P@yp@l have been lobbied to ban people using them to sell flashcards

hatredg0d

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nds-card.com, our sponsor

Don't be afraid of the under the table way you have to go through for payments, the truth is major credit cards and P@yp@l have been lobbied to ban people using them to sell flashcards
They are technically illegal because of the way they bypass things. This is why they were lobbied against.

Master110

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hard modding isn't a good idea. A flash card is the best bet. You and go for a cheaper card R4I or a better card DSTWO. Just make sure you get one which works with DSI and 1.4.

R4I 1.4.4 should be enough. Its simple you download roms unpack them put them in a folder called roms.

Ebay is the last place to look for a card.

This is what hardmod looks like on DS its wires and cables all over the place.

Last edited by Master110,
Reactions: Ontanium

Mark2333

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi I just bought a second hand DSi XL firmware 1.4. Im very confused as there are tons of Flash cards and tutorials. Does anyone knows the most secure and safe way to mod my DS to play Downloaded games.THanks
And cause DSTWO is discontinued, your better choice is the R4i gold 3ds. You can buy nds-card.com, the sponsor site or 3ds-flashcard site, which supports fast shipping but more expensive price.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hard modding isn't a good idea. A flash card is the best bet.
Apples and pasta - hacking the DS mode won't allow playing DSiware, hacking the DSi side technically allows DS games (nds-bootstrap) but that's not the purpose, nobody would seriously work more for a lesser experience :)

Master110

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Apples and pasta - hacking the DS mode won't allow playing DSiware, hacking the DSi side technically allows DS games (nds-bootstrap) but that's not the purpose, nobody would seriously work more for a lesser experience :)
Its a mess and opening up the DSI. I don't think its worth the hassle.

Ontanium

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hard modding isn't a good idea. A flash card is the best bet. You and go for a cheaper card R4I or a better card DSTWO. Just make sure you get one which works with DSI and 1.4.

R4I 1.4.4 should be enough. Its simple you download roms unpack them put them in a folder called roms.

Ebay is the last place to look for a card.

This is what hardmod looks like on DS its wires and cables all over the place.

How could I hard mod a DSi and what are the advantages and or uses behind this method of modding?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: these recent switch 2 rumors makes no sense to me