Homebrew Dsi xl homebrew?

bluebowser31

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, i know that the XL has the same screen resolution, but would it be possible to make a homebrew game that, for example, can view a picture in large screen size, but higher resolution?

because sense the XL's pixles hopefully arent HUGE (like the terible resolution) couldnt this be possible?

edit: or would this require unlocking "Xl mode" (i doubt it)

bluebowser31

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yes but wouldnt it be possible to just increase the qquality, without unlocking dsi mode? (considering its not using any dsi only parts?)

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
The way I'm thinking of it, I think coders would have to know where on the screen everything is being placed in order to correctly do what you are hoping (and that would be a part of the DSi's system). It doesn't really matter much anyways, IIRC the difference isn't all that much (at least I haven't heard of anything having terribly bad visual quality with playing any homebrew on the DSiXL).

bluebowser31

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thats true, but couldnt it be possible to just find 2 points on the screen, then based on that scale and place the image? (i know nothing about coding, it just seems that with 2 points you could find the scale and location)

and maybe also have the user touch 2 parts of screen (like uper right and bottom left) to have same effect...

(sense were on this subject, how do people make homebrew? is there a ds language that nintendo writes with, and people figured out?)

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
bluebowser31 said:
Well, i know that the XL has the same screen resolution, but would it be possible to make a homebrew game that, for example, can view a picture in large screen size, but higher resolution?

because sense the XL's pixles hopefully arent HUGE (like the terible resolution) couldnt this be possible?

edit: or would this require unlocking "Xl mode" (i doubt it)
DSi XL do NOT have increased resolution... it's still 256x192.
Screen Size =/= Resolution.

So to clarify... all the larger screen does is cause the individual pixels to be larger.

bluebowser31

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wait seriouslty!?!? the pixels are actualy larger!?!?

i mean i knew nintendo was both cheap and lazy, but this is obsurd o.o

i guess that makes sense tho, but waht i heard was it have same size pixles, it just wasnt programed to have higher quality /fail

thanks for clearing that up

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
bluebowser31 said:
wait seriouslty!?!? the pixels are actualy larger!?!?

i mean i knew nintendo was both cheap and lazy, but this is obsurd o.o

i guess that makes sense tho, but waht i heard was it have same size pixles, it just wasnt programed to have higher quality /fail

thanks for clearing that upHere's the numbers... the Pixels/In is usually a good indicator of quality/smoothness:CODEÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂScreenÂÂHeightÂÂWidthÂÂ Pixels/In
DSÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ3.00"ÂÂ 1.80"ÂÂ 2.40"ÂÂ 106.66
DS LiteÂÂÂÂ 3.12"ÂÂ 1.87"ÂÂ 2.49"ÂÂ 102.74
DSiÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ 3.25"ÂÂ 1.95"ÂÂ 2.60"ÂÂÂÂ98.46
DSi XLÂÂÂÂÂÂ4.20"ÂÂ 2.52"ÂÂ 3.36"ÂÂÂÂ76.19

Think of it this way... It's like running a 13" monitor at 800x600... then moving up to a 21" monitor and keeping 800x600 resolution.
Everything is bigger, but there's no increase in quality. If anything, you'll notice any blemishes that might have been too small to see before.

fearofshorts

Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah, it's pretty funny that people equate larger screens with better picture-quality.
It's why a video on a hi-resolution phone's display can look better than a video on a 60 inch hi-def television.

Pixel-density, people! Pixel-density!

bluebowser31

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well duh, but generaly if ure guna have a larger screen, you can fit more pixels in it, giving some of them better quality (meaning nintendo said: no were not spening 5 bucks to add some pixels, no ones guna buy the XL anyways
tongue.gif
)

fearofshorts

Trophies
XP
Country
But they couldn't add pixels. If they did then how would DS games be displayed?
It has to run DS games with perfect compatibility so it needs to use the same number of pixels for DS games. This means that it would have to have some unused pixels around the edges. Like the black bars you see while watching a wide-screen film on a non-wide-screen tv, but all around it. And that would be butt-ugly.

And then only the DSi-enhanced and DSi-Only games would use those extra pixels.

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
BTW, your posts don't make sense.
bluebowser31 said:
Well, i know that the XL has the same screen resolutionQUOTE(bluebowser31 @ May 14 2010, 10:09 PM) wait seriouslty!?!? the pixels are actualy larger!?!?
If the screens have the same screen resolution (as the older DSs), it's obvious that the pixels are bigger.

bluebowser31

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well i thought it was like on a computer, how a bigger computer, that is capable of running in 1200/800, is running in 600/800, and then another comp that can only run in 600/800, meaning the bigger screen has the pixels, it just the hardware wont alow it to use them...

but now i know thats wrong
smile.gif

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
bluebowser31 said:
well i thought it was like on a computer, how a bigger computer, that is capable of running in 1200/800, is running in 600/800, and then another comp that can only run in 600/800, meaning the bigger screen has the pixels, it just the hardware wont alow it to use them...

but now i know thats wrong
smile.gif

It is... and I already explained that:QUOTE(twiztidsinz @ May 15 2010, 12:39 AM) Think of it this way... It's like running a 13" monitor at 800x600... then moving up to a 21" monitor and keeping 800x600 resolution.
Everything is bigger, but there's no increase in quality. If anything, you'll notice any blemishes that might have been too small to see before.

Bigger screen size doesn't have anything to do with higher resolution.
800x600 on a 13" (10.4"x7.8") monitor is still the same resolution as 800x600 on a 21" (16.8"x12.6") monitor... the only difference is instead of stretching the 800 pixels across 10.4", you're stretching them across 16.8" (and 600px across 12.6" instead of the 7.8").

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Least they got head in the end