Gaming DSi XL has darker pixels on edge of screens.

Supernaut

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I bought a DSi XL today as an upgrade to my DS Lite and I've noticed parts of the screen towards the edge looks a bit darker, especially when displaying pure white. At an extreme angle that's reversed and they look lighter than the rest.

DSixl example 1.jpg Dsixl example 2.jpg

It's not coming out very much in the photos but I've highlighted where they are. When playing a game it's not really noticeable so it's probably not a big deal but has anyone seen this before? Is there a way to fix it that doesn't require replacing the screen?

Amez

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I would guess any of the following...

1. It's just a well used console.
  2. It's had its screens replaced with 3rd party screens. (probably not as both your screens have the same issue)
  3. It's been wet at some point.

To check for water, remove the battery cover, lift out the battery and there is a little white sticker with a red pattern on it, if the sticker looks smudged or completely red, it indicates it's been wet.

Sometimes if it's only been a little bit wet the water sticker near the battery won't be affected, there is also a sticker on the motherboard but that requires taking the console apart so I wouldn't recommend that if everything else is working just fine.

To check for the console being well used, you used to be able to put a game in, start playing the game then turn the console off - if the image of the game remained for 2 or 3 seconds or slowly faded it meant it's well used, rather bizarre I know but if you've ever had consoles next to each other to compare you tend to notice these crazy things haha

Supernaut

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I would guess any of the following...

1. It's just a well used console.
  2. It's had its screens replaced with 3rd party screens. (probably not as both your screens have the same issue)
  3. It's been wet at some point.

To check for water, remove the battery cover, lift out the battery and there is a little white sticker with a red pattern on it, if the sticker looks smudged or completely red, it indicates it's been wet.

Sometimes if it's only been a little bit wet the water sticker near the battery won't be affected, there is also a sticker on the motherboard but that requires taking the console apart so I wouldn't recommend that if everything else is working just fine.

To check for the console being well used, you used to be able to put a game in, start playing the game then turn the console off - if the image of the game remained for 2 or 3 seconds or slowly faded it meant it's well used, rather bizarre I know but if you've ever had consoles next to each other to compare you tend to notice these crazy things haha

Thanks for the reply! The battery compartment sticker looks like I assume it should so no water there. It could be just well used, it doesn't fade out when turning it off but when I bought it from the shop the screen protector that was on it was VERY scratched up and I've noticed the top screen is darker than the bottom which I also assume is a sign of age?

If it has been wet at some point though, is there any way to open it up and clean up where the marks are or would it actually require replacing the screen?

Either way, I got it cheap and for the most part I don't even notice it when playing (occasionally the bit on top screen stands out but not often) so it's not a big deal.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Flame @ Flame: Never fight uphill, me boys.