Gaming DSi vs DSlite

Bleack

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Regular forum users will probably get sick of this question as I found out this question is asked a lot. However this search was not sufficient enough to answer my questions because I miss the possibility to discuss.

Right now I'm leaning towards buying an DSi because of the much improved hardware specifications. However will Nintendo/Game studio's ever take advantage of these improvements, or will they ignore this because of the incomparability in may cause with his older brothers.

Also a couple of things worry me about buying the DSi. One of my major concerns is that I heard the DSi has upgradeable firmware and eventually will run out of exploits like the PSP rendering your flashcards useless.

So would you recommend me buying a DSi or DSlite?

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I got some gift certificates to spend wich will expire, so money is not really an issue.
happy.gif

aimansss95

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FireGrey said:
DSlite
You don't have to worry about upgrading/getting new flashcarts when a new DSi firmware is out.
Plus DSLite are cheaper

But if you are patient enough maybe you should wait and get the 3DS instead cause there will be a 3DS exclusive game

EDIT : wait why did i quote you??

Ringo619

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i'd go with the dslite its a lot cheaper , has a gba slot unlike the dsi and the dsi stops flashcarts with the new update unless u not gonna use flashcarts but i still would recommended the dslite

Bleack

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FireGrey said:
DSlite
You don't have to worry about upgrading/getting new flashcarts when a new DSi firmware is out.
Plus DSLite are cheaper
I'm quite a stubborn person and quite a geek. I really don't like the idea of buying "old hardware", is it really smarter for me to buy a DSlite if money is not an issue?

QUOTE(aimansss95 @ Sep 12 2010, 11:59 AM) But if you are patient enough maybe you should wait and get the 3DS instead cause there will be a 3DS exclusive game

EDIT : wait why did i quote you??
I heard that the 3DS has a more sophisticated "anti-piracy technology" so I think I will pass on that one. Also A major issue is that I have quite a couple of gift certificates which will probably be expired before the 3DS will come out
tongue.gif
and also money is not really an issue because of this.

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
DSLite:
-Works with any flashcart forever
-GBA Slot
-Cheaper
--No Camera
--Hardly any Accessories for sale
DSi:
-Camera
-Sound Player
-Apps such as flipnote
--Updatable Firmware
--More Expensive

DuDutZ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
buy the DSi if you don't want to play GBA game...
DS lite if you wanna play it....

Don't upgrade the DSI firmware if the flashcard hasn't upgrade yet...

well if you want it simple with no upgrade stuff...buy DS lite...
If not...buy the DSi...

thats it
yaynds.gif

gumphfy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd go with the DSi. But only for esthetic reasons. I like the slightly bigger screen. The feel of the DSi when holding it, compared to the thicker DSlite, is much better. I don't like the glossy surface of the DSlite. And the buttons on the DSi are much more 'crisp' is you know what I mean.
That's just my opinion anyway.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
The screens on the DSi are great.

I bought mine, and was a bit let down that they only had the DSi when I went to get a DS so I didn't have GBA playability and would have to still use my SP...

Then I took the DSi out, opened it up, and smiled.

Tiny screens are no fun.

Bigger screens make eyes happy.

Bleack

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DuDutZ said:
buy the DSi if you don't want to play GBA game...
DS lite if you wanna play it....

Don't upgrade the DSI firmware if the flashcard hasn't upgrade yet...

well if you want it simple with no upgrade stuff...buy DS lite...
If not...buy the DSi...

thats it
yaynds.gif
Not upgrading sounds logical, but aren't there any games yet that always force you to update like on the PSP?

Silent Storm

Trophies
XP
Country
The DSi is superior. The improved interface, buttons, screens, improved and overall feel make it worth the upgrade from a DS Lite. People say GBA, when the controls for GBA on a DS is terrible, I would much rather play my gba games on a gba system which controls better than on a ds. The only downside is you can't play guitar hero and transfer pokemon but I doubt you'd even use that feature at this point.

TheTwoR's

Yay I can finally edit this thingy :D
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
Bleack said:
Regular forum users will probably get sick of this question as I found out this question is asked a lot. However this search was not sufficient enough to answer my questions because I miss the possibility to discuss.

Right now I'm leaning towards buying an DSi because of the much improved hardware specifications. However will Nintendo/Game studio's ever take advantage of these improvements, or will they ignore this because of the incomparability in may cause with his older brothers.

Also a couple of things worry me about buying the DSi. One of my major concerns is that I heard the DSi has upgradeable firmware and eventually will run out of exploits like the PSP rendering your flashcards useless.

So would you recommend me buying a DSi or DSlite?

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I got some gift certificates to spend wich will expire, so money is not really an issue.
happy.gif

I still don't understand why people want to friggin' get a DS lite.
If you're not happy with DSi updates then just DONT UPDATE.
Hope I made myself clear
wink.gif

DSiDSiDSiDSiDSiDSiDSiDSiDSiDSiDSiDSiDSiDSiDSiDSiDSiDSiDSiDSiDSiDSiDSiDSiDSiDSiDS
DSiDSiDSiDSiDSiDSiDSiDSiDSiDSiDSiDSiDSiDSiDSiDSiDSiDSi

Bleack

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
No.
That's a clear answer, thank you.
smile.gif

Silent Storm said:
The DSi is superior. The improved interface, buttons, screens, improved and overall feel make it worth the upgrade from a DS Lite. People say GBA, when the controls for GBA on a DS is terrible, I would much rather play my gba games on a gba system which controls better than on a ds. The only downside is you can't play guitar hero and transfer pokemon but I doubt you'd even use that feature at this point.
I never had a GBA and Guitar Hero on a handheld doesn't make sense. Also if Nintendo Games and Homebrew apps and games will take advantage of the 4x RAM and the 2x 'faster' CPU the DSi will really take the lead. Now only hope this development will happen.

QUOTE(TheTwoR's @ Sep 12 2010, 01:42 PM)
I still don't understand why people want to friggin' get a DS lite.
If you're not happy with DSi updates then just DONT UPDATE.
Hope I made myself clear
wink.gif

DSiDSiDSiDSiDSiDSiDSiDSiDSiDSiDSiDSiDSiDSiDSiDSiDSiDSiDSiDSiDSiDSiDSiDSiDSiDSiDS
DSiDSiDSiDSiDSiDSiDSiDSiDSiDSiDSiDSiDSiDSiDSiDSiDSiDSi
For me it's actually because I have a PSP 3000, which forced me to update with every game I purchased. And with the selection of good games for the PSP being rather small not playing the game makes the PSP rather useless as well.
tongue.gif

Didu50

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
LOL, if you REALLY like BIG SCREENS, the price drop that is in order today, has the DSi XL for the same price of the old price of the DSi.
happy.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @K3Nv2, try SanDisk format tool?