DSi homebrew

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by T3GZdev, Apr 28, 2010.

Apr 28, 2010

DSi homebrew by T3GZdev at 7:21 AM (2,087 Views / 0 Likes) 10 replies

1. T3GZdev
    OP

Member T3GZdev head of T3GZdev

United States
    ok so the DSi has been out for some time now & i have yet to see any homebrew done for it, i currently do some homebrew for DS, Visit My Website, but im looking forward to upgrading to DSi using the enhanced CPU & the camera , & SD slot, etc. (face recognize, aug r)

I noticed that the DSi runs in different modes DS & DSi mode (DS mode while playing DS games), (DSi mode while playing DSiware or DSi exclusive games), there lots of DSiware & like 2 DSi exclusive games out for retail (in america)

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG],

is it possible to use those DSi exclusive carts to put the DSi in DSi mode for DSi homebrew(or just use these DSi carts to make DSi home-brew in all)?

other things i noticed that DS carts have the words NTR letters on the label while DSi carts have TWl on the cover(like in the picture above). (i know that NTR means nitro like the dev kit & twl is probably what dev kit they used for DSi exclusive games.)

the guy in the vid below seems to have the idea.

other technical info\\ differences between DS & DSi\\

CPU//
    DS, DSL = 67MHz
    DSi, DSi XL = 133MHz (2x what DS/Lite uses)

RAM//
    DS, DSL = 4MB (expandable to 8MB with opera browser Expansion pak, n64 expansion pak anyone [​IMG] ?)
    DSi, DSi XL = 16MB

Storage//
    DS, DSL = 256KB
    DSi, DSi XL = 256MB (expandable up to 32GB via SD & SDHC) (possibly 1TB via SD XL in future)

Games//
    DS, DSL = GBA, DS
    DSi, DSi XL = DS, DSi, DSiware

Input//
    DS, DSL = buttons, touch screen, mic.
    DSi, DSi XL = buttons, touchscreen, mic, cam, (possibly motion trough cam)

Last edited by T3GZdev, Apr 1, 2016
  2. how_do_i_do_that

Member how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

Antarctica
    NO, we ain't there yet.

3. Sonic0509

Member Sonic0509 Sometimes I'm Maryushi3

Poland
    It's console codename. NTR means "Nitro" I think so DS codename must be nitro.
    For example Wii codename was revolution so all accesories and games have printed RVL

4. spark1223

Member spark1223 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    DS codename: Nitro
    DSi codename: Twilight
    Wii codename: Revolution

5. smf

Member smf GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    TWL is rumoured to mean twelve.

http://moogle-tech.com/blog/?tag=twl

6. spark1223

United States
    Makes sense.

7. T3GZdev
    OP

United States
    i know that i just thought who ever makes the 1st devkit pro, palib, or nitro engine (or twilight( or twelve?) engine) for DSi would need that ha.

8. spark1223

United States
    I'm almost positive its being worked on. They need to learn how to do it with out all that hardware, that video, was a "proof of concept". They're still learning how DSi Mode "ticks". Once they find a software exploit, they will either make a new flash card, or better yet, a way to do it via the SD Slot. But its not ready yet, maybe they hit a dead end or aren't working on it at the moment.

I'm not a pioneer when it comes to this. I'm mostly just the run of mill developer and technician. Don't get me wrong, tho. I'd love to discover an exploit, just don't know where I'd start.

I have however, been apart of many hacking "communities" (PSP, iPhone, Nintendo DS, maybe more). They all follow similar patterns. A company makes a new hardware, people says its uncrackable, but at one point its cracked. Some take longer than others but everything is always cracked at some point in time, just about.

So patience, my good sir.

9. T3GZdev
    OP

United States
    im getting a an acekard 2i soon im gonna see what i can do about DSi homebrew [​IMG]

10. ProtoKun7

Global Moderator ProtoKun7 GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 3

United Kingdom
    Wouldn't have thought you'd be able to get much done with that.

11. T3GZdev
    OP

United States
    i found somethign that looks interesting.
    drunken coders

DSi hack update

Wintermute has been kind enough to open source the DSi hack we have been using. To run the hack you will need a way to read and write save files on DS carts.
    Tutorial:
    1) Download the hack for your DSi enhanced game from http://github.com/WinterMute/
    2) Edit the Makefile to reflect your region (US and UK currently supported), and of course add your own custom code.
    3) Make the project which should produce a .sav file
    4) Load the save file onto the game cart.
    5) Launch the game in your DSi
    Currently you are limited in space which restricts you to assembly programming. Hopefully this will inspire a few more people to poke about and get info coming in on SD card access and, of course, the cameras.
    Loading a save file:
    I have been using a tool called eepinator to upload the save file using a regular DS. There are probably other tools which would work.
    http://blog.davr.org/2007/03/31/eepinator/