Nikster31

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi. My DSi got caught up in the wash.

Now if it were just the system, it would still be upsetting, but I have pictures and animations within the system memory that I would like to keep.

I read that you can open up the system and swab it with alcohol. This way the alcohol dries faster and you can clean the motherboard.

Can I still do this even though its been some time since it "dried"? I tried opening it up but two of the screws seem stuck in and won't come out.

Can I salvage the system memory part of the motherboard? If anyone has any advice, please let me know.

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I've tried opening it but these two screws highlighted in green won't budge. I'm worried they're too deeply lodged in.

Is that even possible?
Jesus christ, the forum has a Attach files button to upload pics instead of using other services.

EDIT: Didn't knew the DSi was all Phillips screws.

I'd suggest leaving your console without a battery to dry in silica or rice for a week before attempting to turn it on or for repair.

Usually, corrosion is cleaned easily with Alcohol and Vinegar, whichever works. So that gives you time to find proper screwdrivers to take apart your console.

Nikster31

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jesus christ, the forum has a Attach files button to upload pics instead of using other services.

Anyway, the DS needs a No.3 Tri-Wing for those.
If you've been using a Phillips Screwdriver, screws might be probably washed. In this case use a drill to completely destroy it's head.

I'd suggest leaving your console without a battery to dry in silica or rice for a week before attempting to turn it on or for repair.

Usually, corrosion is cleaned easily with Alcohol and Vinegar, whichever works. So that gives you time to find proper screwdrivers to take apart your console.

EDIT: The DSi is all Phillips screws?
My bad. I'm a newbie, was in a rush.

Apparently they're mostly 2.7 mm phillips screws and then the smaller one where the cartridge slot is, is a 5.2mm screw.

Regardless, the ones I'm having trouble with may as well be washed.

If I leave my DS in rice for a week, won't the motherboard fully corrode / rust up by then? Or will one healthy, careful swabbing of isopropyl alcohol take care of it by then? Sorry for any ignorance, my head is spinning.

You need the right bit size, as well as a proper bit driver to have enough torque to remove the screw.
I see. I was told it was a square double 0 bit upon basic inspection.

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
My bad. I'm a newbie, was in a rush.

Apparently they're mostly 2.7 mm phillips screws and then the smaller one where the cartridge slot is, is a 5.2mm screw.

Regardless, the ones I'm having trouble with may as well be washed.

If I leave my DS in rice for a week, won't the motherboard fully corrode / rust up by then? Or will one healthy, careful swabbing of isopropyl alcohol take care of it by then? Sorry for any ignorance, my head is spinning.

I see. I was told it was a square double 0 bit upon basic inspection.
Yes, it's a possibility. But it's really gotta be stored in an extremely bad place to get any real damage to the motherboard. This means, if you leave your console in a place with strong humidity, it will create corrosion that will eat up whatever traces or components.

The main concern is, that you must not turn on your console before it's dry to prevent any short circuits.

Leaving your console in a dry place with something to absorb humidity (Silica/Rice) will help prevent the former problem of real hardware problems.

Like I mentioned, drill those screws to clean your console more thoroughly.
Alternatively, you could try to use the rubber band method that will grip the misding screw parts that's preventing it from turning... or use steel whool if the rubber isn't working (to me it never does) but steel wool has worked for me in the past.

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Before leaving it to dry, you need to remove all corrosion (if any) from all the board, or it might not work after the drying process.

I suggest you to rub it using a toothbrush using distilled water and cleaning it afterwards, then apply the drying method you prefer (I recommend using a hot air gun or a hair dryer), but leaving it overnight by itself might be enough unless you didn't clean under the metal parts on the board.

And yes, you should disassemble it all.

Nikster31

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Before leaving it to dry, you need to remove all corrosion (if any) from all the board, or it might not work after the drying process.

I suggest you to rub it using a toothbrush using distilled water and cleaning it afterwards, then apply the drying method you prefer (I recommend using a hot air gun or a hair dryer), but leaving it overnight by itself might be enough unless you didn't clean under the metal parts on the board.

And yes, you should disassemble it all.
Can I use isopropyl alcohol instead?

AWESOMEGAMER

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do not belong in here but you should remove the memory card if you had one, and let it sit for like a week or like a month.
Next replace the microsd card
Next just pleas get a new DS those suckers are like dirt cheap and I mean they should just give them away for free.
Next now this is so important.
Buy a cover and a wrist strap. SERIOUSLY
I have one on my n3ds and my cover cries WAR CRIMINAL
I one of those hard ceramic sinks, wood floors, and other random things I have dropped my n3ds on. my wrist strap and cover have save my poor n3ds life.

The most important thing if youever git a new one is to close the top of the ds.Yeah life hack of the ds family litterly

Nikster31

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sup gang.

strip.JPG

I just can't seem to get these two screws out. Doesn't help that they're down holes. Pretty sure they're stripped.

Any advice?

AWESOMEGAMER

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Precision Screwdriver maybe
It works for the n3ds
Some advise. Just take those screws off permentaly , and put a cover on your DS (any DS family) they are a nuisance

:-< Yeah I can see that you need(ed) a cover very badly ther is a mark or something on your ds
Now that I think of it you can get a whole set, and a n3ds for cheap unless you have to have a DSi., and you can get an n3ds for brand new like in the box, all shiny, SHRINK RAP

Nikster31

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Precision Screwdriver maybe
It works for the n3ds
Some advise. Just take those screws off permentaly , and put a cover on your DS (any DS family) they are a nuisance

:-< Yeah I can see that you need(ed) a cover very badly ther is a mark or something on your ds
Now that I think of it you can get a whole set, and a n3ds for cheap unless you have to have a DSi., and you can get an n3ds for brand new like in the box, all shiny, SHRINK RAP
I have a lot of memories on this DSi that I need to retrieve, but thank you for the advice.

I saw somebody link these bit heads, saying they might work to get em out.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Metoroid0 @ Metoroid0: im more interested in metroid prime 4