DSi / DS functionality is broken still broken after following the troubleshooting guide

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Zyleq, Jan 31, 2018.

1. Zyleq
    OP

Zyleq Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 28, 2017
    United States
    Originally i was doing a ctrtransfer to carry over my ctrnand from my n3dsxl to my n2ds. but recently when i tried to use flash cart it would boot to an black screen. i also tried ds download play but also gives me an black screen. i was recommend the troubleshooting guide but that was unsuccessful.

Last edited by Zyleq, Jan 31, 2018
  2. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

GBAtemp Patron
    Quantumcat is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
  3. Zyleq
    OP

Zyleq Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 28, 2017
    United States
    nope didn't work i believe i must of corrupted my twl_firm or something. Do you know how i would go about fixing that.would restoring my nand work?

4. E1ite007

E1ite007 Living thanks to piracy

Nov 19, 2016
    Mexico
    My house... almost everytime.
    The troubleshooting guide has the TWL_FIRM to install, but you said that you followed the guide and didn't worked... so the TWL_FIRM isn't broken.
    What steps of the troubleshooting guide did you do?

5. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    What CFW you using? Like list some information on your system setup please. :teach:

6. marioluigipeach10

marioluigipeach10 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 14, 2018
    United States
    Hello, I have the same issue, I'm currently running 11.6 on my 'Old' 3DS. I used the 3DS.guide but now my DS games give me a black screen. Actually anything that uses DS functions don't work anymore, not even the DS wifi settings. I tried my R4 on it but that didn't work, but When I played by r4 on my 2DS, it worked just fine. I'm running 9.1 Luma and I'm using gm9. Ive heard that those are outdated or something as there are apperently better methods, idk. I followed the guide and installed the required cia files, but to no success. So I know it's not the TWL.FIRM, I can assume that something went wrong during the installation process...What's worse is that this is a pretty rare problem, not alot of people know how to fix this. help.

7. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

GBAtemp Patron
    Quantumcat is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    Try updating to the latest firmware. There's no advantage being on 11.6.

8. marioluigipeach10

marioluigipeach10 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 14, 2018
    United States
    Alright, I updated to 11.8, and assuming its a starting point, DS/DSi functionality is still broken. Immediately, nothing noticeable has changed for me. I believe Luma 9.1 can't be abliterated by 11.8 so...

9. marioluigipeach10

marioluigipeach10 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 14, 2018
    United States
    Does anyone have any suggestions?

10. TurdPooCharger

TurdPooCharger Meh

Jan 1, 2018
    United States
    You said you already tried this?

Maybe you have NVRAM type brick?

Are you using EmuNAND? DSiWare doesn't work with that.

Probably not related, but worth trying for your DS flashcart:

Lastly, perhaps your flashcart has a time bomb?

Or it's really old, so it's not on the DS cart whitelist (aka, blocked).

Last edited by TurdPooCharger, Oct 11, 2018
  11. marioluigipeach10

marioluigipeach10 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 14, 2018
    United States
    Yes, I tried the 3ds.guide for restoring the DS/DSi Mode functionality.

I don't know about the NVRAM brick, because I'm not familiar with any DS Bricker type applications.

I checked using Luma3DS, I'm not using EmuNAND.

Yeah that's not related.

My Flashcart's fine, I tried it on my 'old' 2DS and it's fine.

It's not blocked, since it works on my 'old' 2DS.

12. TurdPooCharger

TurdPooCharger Meh

Jan 1, 2018
    United States
    Check if your DSi (TWL) firmware works by playing a TWLNAND installed title. Either download a DSiWare game at that iso site or use TWiLight Menu++ and Launcher with a *.nds rom like Mario Kart DS.

If this works, try playing a physical DS game cart. Don't use your DS flashcart; a 3DS game is acceptable but not favored. If you don't own a DS game, stop by a GameStop and ask if they'll let you quickly debug your 3DS. Just let them know your dilemma; don't mention you have custom firmware as some salesclerks are sticklers about homebrew.

If DSiWare doesn't work and SysNAND Restore, CTRTransfer with GodMode9, nor DSi functionality repair guide fixed your 3DS DSi Mode...
    Your last available software based repair methods are:
    If these three do not work, your fault is presumed hardware based in nature.

If DSiWare works but your DS (or 3DS) game isn't read or played when launched...
    You may be looking at cleaning or replacing your game slot reader.
    and