Homebrew DSi Downgrading - The Complete Guide

Razor83

Trophies
XP
Country
Not much has been happening in this thread anymore, but hopefully someone can answer this question. The 3ds downgrading scene has developed a way to inject the old sudoku into any larger dsiware, which sould theoretically enable us to install DSiwarehax on a DSi again. The only problem would be retrieving the console ID, because the method used in this guide needs sudoku or fieldrunners specifically. Would it be possible to obtain the Console ID through another way, or at least retrieve it with other hackable dsiware, like legends of exidia or four swords?
I'm interested in this possibility too, perhaps even the CycloDS iEvolution could be used to get the ConsoleID?
I'm still hoping one of the built in apps can be hacked, hopefully before the DSi Shop is shut down and all our current entry points disappear.

ThisIsDaAccount

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm interested in this possibility too, perhaps even the CycloDS iEvolution could be used to get the ConsoleID?
I'm still hoping one of the built in apps can be hacked, hopefully before the DSi Shop is shut down and all our current entry points disappear.
The consoleID should in theory be obtainable through any dsiware that you can back up to the sd card, at least that's what I've read on the TWLtool thread. Someone just needs to develop a tool to extract it.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Would it be possible to obtain the Console ID through another way
The way described in OP can be done apparently with any dsiware, as long as you know its title id (for the filename) and internal name (for the extractor), if you can install that same app on a 3DS that can also use godmode9, or maybe even find a .nds dump you can read both out with a hex editor!

But I don't know how feasible is the injection, haven't ever looked it up...
-----
Just read about it, might work (with hardmod and nand access, ofc) if the DSi doesn't verify titles as launch (like the Wii but unlike the current gen)

Last edited by Ryccardo,

Flashed

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
will you make a video guide on this?

EDIT: where would i go to send someone my dsi for a hardmod?

Just somebody who knows how to solder, which is teh difficult part. For example, electricians or somebody who works with welders. Just specify where to solder the cables (to the DSi and a card reader as the guide says), then use the tool to make the dump

Teun1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
So, I can buy the Sudoku from the dsi shop now and follow this guide to downgrade and make the exploit work again?

dark_samus3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
just a heads up OP, there's no need to run RPU or any kind of special software on the RPi to get the CID, you simply do something like:
Code:
cat /sys/block/mmcblk0/device/cid
and it should return your CID fine. Really, you could do this with any computer running linux that exposes the low level mmc/sd interface. (this is how I grabbed my CID using an RPi 2)

Reactions: Ryccardo

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
So, I can buy the Sudoku from the dsi shop now and follow this guide to downgrade and make the exploit work again?
Only if you already have credit (or phone nintendo and ask them if you could give them your credit card number and really please add you some money, but I don't know if this is even technically possible)

But you can still get the free DSiwares (Flipnote and Opera) which are enough for dumping your console ID and downgrading the system, so that you can use an iEvolution instead :)
Yeah, slight price difference but at least you get (older) roms too...

Reactions: Teun1

Teun1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Only if you already have credit (or phone nintendo and ask them if you could give them your credit card number and really please add you some money, but I don't know if this is even technically possible)

But you can still get the free DSiwares (Flipnote and Opera) which are enough for dumping your console ID and downgrading the system, so that you can use an iEvolution instead :)
Yeah, slight price difference but at least you get (older) roms too...
Seems good, but the iEvolution doesnt have access to the nand, right? Am going to try mailing the customer service.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Seems good, but the iEvolution doesnt have access to the nand, right? Am going to try mailing the customer service.
No, because its header is that of some DSi enhanced cooking app... and no commercial physical game has sd/nand access (TwlNMenu does, but it's signed for dev consoles and you're supposed to program it to an empty card yourself anyway)

Wait... so I don't need Sudoku in order to do the exploit? Just Opera or Flipnote?
Literally ANY DSiware is enough to decrypt your nand, which leads to downgrading, thus unlocking the iEvolution which is a possible way of running DSi homebrew and (more or less) physical game roms

DSiware exploit games, as always, require you to own them.

This is written in the OP, nothing has changed :)

Teun1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
No, because its header is that of some DSi enhanced cooking app... and no commercial physical game has sd/nand access (TwlNMenu does, but it's signed for dev consoles and you're supposed to program it to an empty card yourself anyway)

Literally ANY DSiware is enough to decrypt your nand, which leads to downgrading, thus unlocking the iEvolution which is a possible way of running DSi homebrew and (more or less) physical game roms

DSiware exploit games, as always, require you to own them.

This is written in the OP, nothing has changed :)

Ok. Thanks!

Will investing in a dsi xl with has some points to download Sudoku in the store.

metroid maniac

An idiot with an opinion
Trophies
XP
Country

I don't see where in OP it says that Opera or Flipnote can be used to find the CID for decrypting your NAND or how.
I kind of assumed the DSi didn't have any free exploits.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I don't see where in OP it says that Opera or Flipnote can be used to find the CID for decrypting your NAND or how.
In the "getting your consoleid" section, you can see:
"dsi_srl_extract.exe --basename=FIELDRUNNERS 4B464445.bin"
"FIELDRUNNERS" is the internal name of your DSiware of choice, "4B464445.bin" is (the path to) its encrypted backup on SD!

I kind of assumed the DSi didn't have any free exploits.
True, if by exploit we mean the common homebrew definition of "something that leads to arbitrary code execution"; not true if we use the more generic definition of "something that enables you to do unexpected/unauthorized stuff" such as decrypting a nand backup!

metroid maniac

An idiot with an opinion
Trophies
XP
Country
In the "getting your consoleid" section, you can see:
"dsi_srl_extract.exe --basename=FIELDRUNNERS 4B464445.bin"
"FIELDRUNNERS" is the internal name of your DSiware of choice, "4B464445.bin" is (the path to) its encrypted backup on SD!

That's just the console ID. I'm talking about the CID.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
That's just the console ID. I'm talking about the CID.
You don't use them for the CID, rather you can use most low-level card readers (ie, an SD in that reader appears in Linux as mmcblk* instead of sd*) after connecting the hardmod, then just look into /sys/block/mmcblk0/device/cid or wherever they moved it these years!

metroid maniac

An idiot with an opinion
Trophies
XP
Country
You don't use them for the CID, rather you can use most low-level card readers (ie, an SD in that reader appears in Linux as mmcblk* instead of sd*) after connecting the hardmod, then just look into /sys/block/mmcblk0/device/cid or wherever they moved it these years!

Shoot. I was hoping we had free arbitrary code execution.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol