(DSi) cant use L or R button with R4

ashton_the_cabbit

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ive had 2 R4s and with any game i cant use the L or R button. i dont know if its my dsi or the r4 or te rom. if this is normal or if there is a fix please tell me i just want to get past the sonic rush adventure tutorial.

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
Trophies
Website
pk11.us
XP
Country
United States
ive had 2 R4s and with any game i cant use the L or R button. i dont know if its my dsi or the r4 or te rom. if this is normal or if there is a fix please tell me i just want to get past the sonic rush adventure tutorial.
That's not normal, is this only in the R4s or always? L/R should open the camera in the DSi Menu, scroll the top screen in PictoChat, take pictures, etc to test them.

If it doesn't work anywhere then you probably need to either clean or replace the cable, see ifixit's guides (small DSi, XL L button, XL R button) for how, it's relatively easy and the parts are fairly cheap. Usually around $10 USD on eBay or AliExpress for the small DSi cable at least. (you may get better results for "DSi SD cable" then "DSi L/R cable" fyi, for XL probably just "DSi XL L cable" and "DSi XL R cable" as they're separate there)

If it does work fine in those but not in the R4s then I honestly have no clue what could cause that... The DSi doesn't really have any software way to intercept the buttons so I don't know how that would be possible.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Verify if it is a hardware problem like explained above. If hardware problem, three possibilities:
  • Cleaning the micro switches Yes, the DS Lite tutorial is applicable. Same components. I already did this once. It is easy to loose tiny parts in that procedure.
  • Get new internal buttons (very tiny soldering points)
  • Replace the complete assembly (cable(s) with buttons soldered on) → most expensive but easiest
Good luck and have fun!

Reactions: Pk11

ashton_the_cabbit

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Verify if it is a hardware problem like explained above. If hardware problem, three possibilities:
  • Cleaning the micro switches Yes, the DS Lite tutorial is applicable. Same components. I already did this once. It is easy to loose tiny parts in that procedure.
  • Get new internal buttons (very tiny soldering points)
  • Replace the complete assembly (cable(s) with buttons soldered on) → most expensive but easiest
Good luck and have fun!
Forgot to clarify, my dsi L and R buttons work just fine without the r4. Im a flipnote animator and use the L button a lot

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Forgot to clarify, my dsi L and R buttons work just fine without the r4. Im a flipnote animator and use the L button a lot
As already said,
If it does work fine in those but not in the R4s then I honestly have no clue what could cause that... The DSi doesn't really have any software way to intercept the buttons so I don't know how that would be possible.
so it doesn't hurt to check the hardware, in case if that's indeed the issue.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: This movie rip so werid has 1080p quality but the audios ripped with movie theater audio quality