j e f f
OP
Trophies
Website
kippykip.com
XP
Country
Australia
Wow, after all these years, i finally registered here just to post on this thread, ultra happy to see a new update on DsDoom.
I highly hope the saving-crashes that i was encountering every now and then in v1.2.1 have been fixed through the various updates. :)

Many thanks for working in this KippyKip!

No problem! However the savegame bug still exists... :(
EDIT: Just incase you're unaware, this is not an official build of DsDoom (not original creators)

mooseman84

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is awesome, great work. My comments:

- The controls feel odd to me, the original controls of A fire and X / Y weapon change feels better, any chance to change them back, or have customizable controls?
- Also, I can't work out how the weapons cycle. A seems to go through all weapons, but X goes backwards, or to melee weapons?
- Possible to save last menu choices when starting the game?

Kippykip

j e f f
OP
Trophies
Website
kippykip.com
XP
Country
Australia
This is awesome, great work. My comments:

- The controls feel odd to me, the original controls of A fire and X / Y weapon change feels better, any chance to change them back, or have customizable controls?
- Also, I can't work out how the weapons cycle. A seems to go through all weapons, but X goes backwards, or to melee weapons?
- Possible to save last menu choices when starting the game?

1. The original controls were awkward (especially when speed running) so I changed the controls similar to the GBA Doom where Y - Shoot and B Open doors/sprint because it's way easier to move/shoot/action with 1 thumb but yeah

2. A cycles up weapons but X is supposed to cycle down but it's a little bugged and unfinished (Doom 2 is worse with the super shotgun)
If you run out of ammo and the weapon changes, it can go a little out of sync (Original DSDoom did this)

3. The menu is "Work in Progress", haven't programmed saving/loading in C before (Also not sure how LibFat works either). I'm looking into it

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
i like to customize my controls as well. i still can't get this to bootup on my AK2i... can the controls not be set from the options menu (of the WAD) or by editing the config file?

i really need to dig out some other flash kits. -=/

i like the new menu but i think it would look cleaner if you lined it up like this (sorry for the quick/dirty paint.net shopping):
menu_example.jpg

-another world

Reactions: ipwndeveloper

stitch123

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello!

The game works really well!

Some of people here mentioned the "original Doom DS". What's that? Was Doom really relased on DS? Or any other homebrew Doom?
And do you plan to port Duke Nukem 3D, Wolfenstein 3D, or any other old shooters powered by Build engine?

Kippykip

j e f f
OP
Trophies
Website
kippykip.com
XP
Country
Australia
Hello!

The game works really well!

Some of people here mentioned the "original Doom DS". What's that? Was Doom really relased on DS? Or any other homebrew Doom?

Yeah this is a modified DSDoom (http://dsdoom.com/) which is the "original" Doom for ds. The DsDoom SVN tries to fix most mistakes from that one and adds a few new features
And do you plan to port Duke Nukem 3D, Wolfenstein 3D, or any other old shooters powered by Build engine?
I don't know too much about porting code between systems as I just edited the other doom port and got stuck a few times which is where elhobbs came in

Reactions: ipwndeveloper

Digitsie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it possible to set things up so that you can just put the .wads in a directory and not root? like /data/doomds/wads ?

elhobbs

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well you can put the wads in the same area where dsdoom.nds is and you can put that folder wherever you please
I think this may only work if you are using a launcher with command line support (argv support) - like homebrew menu. my understanding is that most launchers do not support this - though my information may be outdated.

Kippykip

j e f f
OP
Trophies
Website
kippykip.com
XP
Country
Australia
I think this may only work if you are using a launcher with command line support (argv support) - like homebrew menu. my understanding is that most launchers do not support this - though my information may be outdated.

I think that info is outdated as I have my dsdoom in a series of folders I made up

Digitsie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My SCDSTwo would need a launcher, yeah. My root directory is totally messed up with a lot of stuff, I'd have to figure out what a good non-SC launcher would be.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
how do i use mods on this? i wanted to use alientc mod but i cant seem to get it to boot even renaming the wads i always get some iwad identification failure :S help this noob out please.

Kippykip

j e f f
OP
Trophies
Website
kippykip.com
XP
Country
Australia
how do i use mods on this? i wanted to use alientc mod but i cant seem to get it to boot even renaming the wads i always get some iwad identification failure :S help this noob out please.
You can use SLADE and merge the mods together with an IWAD.
I wanted to add support for PWADS but couldn't figure out the command line code.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYZD7ykz9aQ +1