DS-Xtreme firmware 1.1.2 released

HBK

Clover - Fearless to Speak Now. ;)
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
not to mention they said something BIG would happen in ds-x scene

Heh. Team DS-X had huge potential in the market with English support and an advanced product but they've completely blown it and "lost" to an Eastern product supported by like 2 guys that don't even speak decent English.

We plan to re-score all reviews soon, and the DS-X will definitely not be on top.

Well, at least it has to score a 9, it has practically 100% compatibility and doesn't suffer problems with Castlevania: PoR and Tony Hawk (because of internal memory). Sure, it doesn't have AR code and soft reset support, and it's not that fast to boot apps. But I presume you'll get the 2GB review cart?

Oh, and that's pure bull. I mean, VCRs are like more than 15 years old today! The DS-X isn't even one year old, so I don't see the reason to change. Sure, others carts have gotten more features, but the DS-X hasn't gotten worse, so you shouldn't lower the score.

Mawile

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
finaly i'll get my 16Gb DS-X
laugh.gif

hope, the update won't break it..
yes, there are some bad points with DS-X like "no updaters for Mac/Linux", "unstable update system" or "lack of IGR/cheats/health screen bypassing" but there is no oyher development kit with a programming language in it. it's a nice toy itself and i'm getting it for that. all the cons are solvable, but i can't boot my own script on an R4 for example.
I understand, that this feature is unused by most customers, but i really appreceate it. plus it's USB is really user-friendly)
i prefer it to those small cards, i can easily loose.

-EX-

Racer
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
finaly i'll get my 16Gb DS-X
laugh.gif

hope, the update won't break it..
yes, there are some bad points with DS-X like "no updaters for Mac/Linux", "unstable update system" or "lack of IGR/cheats/health screen bypassing" but there is no oyher development kit with a programming language in it. it's a nice toy itself and i'm getting it for that. all the cons are solvable, but i can't boot my own script on an R4 for example.
I understand, that this feature is unused by most customers, but i really appreceate it. plus it's USB is really user-friendly)
i prefer it to those small cards, i can easily loose.
Oh, a Russian here. ??????, ???????????????.

So, you write scripts for their skinning engine? What kind of? It's pretty much useless, as I see. In any case, it's always better to make a homebrew program, rather than a script for a glitchy flashcart UI. The scripts they included in the one previous updates were pretty laggy and often hanged up.

-EX-

Racer
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
if your ds-xtreme gets bricked because of a update. The ds-x team will get you a replacement if its their fault... so nothing to worry about.
And just to clear it up. The 16GB edition comes with the new firmware pre-installed, so nothing to worry about. The firmware was actually developed a long time ago. They just didn't intend to release it until the 16GB gets shipped to the stores.

Gr4v3

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
The 16 Gb! version comes with 1.1.1.
The newest is 1.1.2.
1.1.1 has a bug when you go into suspend and does not have the eeprom change.

Edit: 2 weeks ago was a beta test. Sunday was Beta test. Monday was release. So the firmware was actually NOT developed a long time ago.

-EX-

Racer
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The 16 Gb! version comes with 1.1.1.
The newest is 1.1.2.
1.1.1 has a bug when you go into suspend and does not have the eeprom change.

Edit: 2 weeks ago was a beta test. Sunday was Beta test. Monday was release. So the firmware was actually NOT developed a long time ago.
You're from the DS-X team? My statements are not my own, I just repeated what DS-X Guru said around 2 weeks ago on DS-X forums.

stinkingbob

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Antarctica
Hi 11111111,

You wrote:

"Of course there is a reason to change it. As you yourself said, when vcr's were first released they were a 10/10 product. A vcr is now a 2/10 product. Times have changed and the ds-x isn't the only slot 1 product on the market anymore. It has been surpassed in terms of quality (features) and price. A rerating (of all the older carts, not just the ds-x) is long overdue."

I think you misunderstood the point I was trying to make. Products should be evaluated based upon their own merits as compared to similiar like products on the market. So, if you compare a vcr to a DVD Recorder, then of course, the VCR deserves a 2/10 (I would score it much higher). But,if you loook at a vcr on its own merit, it is still a 10/10. Remember those Sony Cassette walkmans? They are 10/10, but compared to an Ipod, they are 2/10. But you are comparing apples and oranges. Also, you stated that the DS-X has been surpassed in terms of features. Ok then. Can you tell me which slot 1 solution has the best homebrew support that is better than the DS-X?
With that said, it would make no sense whatsoever for Shaun to rescore the DS-X or any other slot 1 cart UNLESS there was a major update which drastically improved or lowered the playability or functionality of the cart.
Ds-X scored a 9.1 by Shaun I believe. There is no need to lower it or raise it. Same for R4. Each has their own advantages and disadvantages, but just because more poeple buy the R4 doesn't mean that its score should be raised and the DS-X be lowered.

Oh, and for Puyodead, please make a video and post it showing the 45 seconds it takes for your ds-x to launch to the apps menu. I want to see this for myself.
Bob

-EX-

Racer
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
We're comparing slot-1 flashcarts, not oranges and apples. They are not that different.

DS-X score should be lowered because it's inferior to other slot-1 solutions. At the time of its release it wasn't the case. The DS-X was the one and only. But it has changed.

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
OP
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
We plan to re-grade all reviews because the final score is out of date and is giving people looking for the best cart at the moment false info. No one wants to buy a cart because it used to be the best.

Scores also reflect how well the product has been supported over time. The DS-X has had a shoddy amount of lacklustre updates, whereas the R4 has had some fantastic continued updates that add new features that weren't originally advertised. The reviews (slash guides) need to reflect that.

The R4DS has a con in it's review that says "Lacking extra features". That was the case then, but isn't the case now, so it's false info.
The DSX has a pro that says "+ Real English fast product support" that's certainly not the case when people are ignored on their forums and support tickets take up to 3 weeks to get a reply.

We're only doing this for our members. We don't to be feeding them false info.

Mawile

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Oh, a Russian here. ??????, ???????????????.

So, you write scripts for their skinning engine? What kind of? It's pretty much useless, as I see. In any case, it's always better to make a homebrew program, rather than a script for a glitchy flashcart UI. The scripts they included in the one previous updates were pretty laggy and often hanged up.
??????=)
i don't write any scripts as i don't own any flash card and my DS lies in my table... but i would really like to try it)

i know, they will replace it, but i'm affraid, i'll have to pay the package sending and wait more time. i was waiting for a flash card too long, to return it back...

Intruder

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Greece
I dunno about you but every game/homebrew I've tried never caused problems.
As for the support,the forums are there for everybody to solve their problems.
The updates are REALLY slow but...wtf?There are not THAT much things to correct...

Wanted

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
New Zealand
I dunno about you but every game/homebrew I've tried never caused problems.
As for the support,the forums are there for everybody to solve their problems.
The updates are REALLY slow but...wtf?There are not THAT much things to correct...

But they delete anything that they want on those forums not just posts breaking rules. Anything they don't want new 2GB buyers to see. That forum is so censored it's not funny. There is no way the DS-X team are getting any more of my money. I'm going to see if they replace the DS-X that bricked and when the don't i'll just have to get an R4 and advise others to do the same.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.