DS Scene has no skills

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by gbadl, Oct 27, 2010.

Oct 27, 2010

DS Scene has no skills by gbadl at 8:50 PM (1,859 Views / 0 Likes) 10 replies

1. gbadl
    OP

Member gbadl GBAtemp Regular

I was just thinking about this, a couple of months back there was a scene notice about how the guys in the DS scene can't crack, basically the people that made it said that the DS scene groups release the equivalent of uncracked PC Game Clone Isos. The scene fought back and said that it is not there responsibility to crack but instead it is the responsibility of the flash cart manufacturers. I was thinking about what they replied back with and the only real conclusion is, that they are saying the equivalent of PC Games not needing to be cracked because the Blank DVD manufacturers should do the cracking. That is pretty messed up, next time I will wait until Verbatim releases the crack for the game so I can play it off a blank DVD or Western Digital to release the NOcd crack, so I can play off the hard drive. This isn't what the scene was about, I am wondering if they are being paid off by some big name flash cart manufacturers not to crack. IMO the scene has lost their glory, they have no skills anymore as the power has been given to people they call HTTP/P2P lamers but I am wondering where there scenes would be without people like Dark_Alex (from the PSP), YWG, RetroGameFan / Pong, Hermes (ps3) and many others not listed that they consider HTTP/P2P.

2. Poryhack

Member Poryhack GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Completely ignoring the multiple flaws in your logic, is this supposed to initiate a discussion relevant to ROM hacking? Because it certainly doesn't seem like it will to me...

3. warmijwilfaain

Member warmijwilfaain War Mage MILF

United Kingdom
    I think it's pretty stupid to leave the responsibility to the developer of the flashcart.

Realistically, the person responsible for the crack... Well, persons - the consumers/pirates themselves.

Just be glad that communities have consumers ready to make cracks for you.

4. BobTheJoeBob

Member BobTheJoeBob The most optimistic person on the temp. :)

United Kingdom
    You do realise Flashcarts were designed for playing pirated games whereas Blank CD's were designed for storing data. Big differenece.

5. Depravo

Global Moderator Depravo Jaded curmudgeon

United Kingdom
    I partially agree with you. In the good old days release groups were the people skilled enough to deliver the game in a working state. Most of the 'release groups' these days are simply ROM dumpers - something which anyone with a slot-2 card can do themselves. However, pre-cracked ROMs can cause problems on certain flashcarts that didn't need a fix in the first place.

A simple compromise would be that all groups release their ROMs clean but also include a separate patch that contains an intro and removes any AP. Without the patch it would simply be a random dump and not a proper scene release. This would be the best of both worlds.

6. Schizoanalysis

Member Schizoanalysis From somewhere inside the rabbit hole...

Australia
    Release groups don't earn money for their work

Flah card manufacturers earn money for their work

There's a difference.

7. Pliskron

Banned Pliskron Banned

United States
    If you buy a good flash card then you don't need a cracked release. I'd rather not use cracked roms. It can create problems with cheats ect.

8. Isaac_GS

Newcomer Isaac_GS Advanced Member

United States
    The logical equivalent for the DS scene would be to wait for Sandisk or kingston to release a crack for a game because we store games on their microsd cards. Flashcart manufacturers are a go-between that the PSP and PC scenes simply don't have, which is why they might forget that games are stored in the microsd card, which is seperate from the flashcart, which is seperate from the DS itself.

9. Keylogger

Member Keylogger GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

France
    How release groups can dump a game that is not officially out?
    I mean, Golden Sun Dark Dawn (as an exemple but this is the same thing for all games) release date is 29/10/2010. It's not out yet but was already dumped... [​IMG]

10. noname9889

Newcomer noname9889 Advanced Member

United States
    The jap version that came out tuesday was dumped, not the american version.

11. Poryhack

Member Poryhack GBAtemp Fan

United States
    While I'm sure you're right about that, some games are dumped before their release date. To answer Keylogger's question, game retailers have to receive shipments before the games actual release date so they have it in stock. People who have access to those can and sometimes do dump games early. Sometimes online preorders are also shipped early enough to arrive at a customers house early, and games can be dumped that way.