Gaming DS Roms... different files sizes... what?!

GRIDAGENT

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can understand one game file being larger than another because of the fonts (depending on region) or a language option in the beginning of the game. But I've come across some games that show a file size of 64mb; while for the same game I can find another file size listed as only 16Mb! Why such a big difference?

What's your habit... do you download the smallest, biggest, the one in the middle, or all of them (just in case)?!?

Domination

Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Senegal
GRIDAGENT said:
But I've come across some games that show a file size of 64mb; while for the same game I can find another file size listed as only 16Mb! Why such a big difference?

Same games with different sizes? Maybe the inclusion of voice acting or something..... I don't know any cases of this.... cite an example.

GRIDAGENT

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Trimmed rom...?

All I'm saying is I've got a favorite site or two that I've gotten games from. But when I do a search I'll get mabye 5-8 hits from the same game title. And with each of THOSE files (all zipped) there can anywhere from 0.2Mb to 40Mb difference.

If its a game I really want I'll download at least three versions (different file sizes) of the game. But of course that takes up memory so i was just wondering if you can explain the large file size difference and what would ya'll do given the option for downloading...

Right now Im looking at (example) Nintendogs Chihuahua, with sizes 13.7Mb, 10.9Mb, 12.5Mb, 64Mb, 11.3Mb... and mabye 5 more different sizes.

jan777

motion control..? srsly? so 2008. 3DS is teh bombz
Trophies
XP
Country
it would be better if you said what game that was

Domination

Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Senegal
I thought theres only one official version? How can there be 5-8? Check the GBATemp archive if you don't want to take chances and brick your cart or something.Some may have been trimmed or patched or whatever. Check elixir's post to see legit sizes for the roms.

Or you can just download whichever file you like.... Don't blame me if anything happenms

elixirdream

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Malaysia
well maybe is how they compress the rom
.zip would be bigger
.rar would be smaller
.7z would be even smaller

or sometime they break the files into volumes
a 16 MB game they break it into 4 files/parts
each of them could be 3MB x 4 = 12 MB
tongue.gif

EDIT:
regarding which to download~! basically is the same.. the differences would be version
tongue.gif

normally they would say v1.0 or so..
of course the higher the version the better it is (i assume they had fixed something or enhance something)
another thing is region
smile.gif

like the game you mentioned they have so many regions (E) (K) (U)
whether which to download that is depends on your needs
tongue.gif

if you like the game in english you can go for E or U

E = europe
U = usa

testic-cancer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
You are obviously downloading shïtty repacked webwares raeped junk.

Download the proper scene release and don't worry about the filesize, as it will 99% of the times be correct.

The only time when there will be multiple versions with different sizes is between games with English only, and others with 3/5/whatever languages.

GRIDAGENT

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well makes sense... I guess what's important is not the files size I download, but how big the file is when I unzip it. (edit:

Frederica Bernkastel

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Uhh... wow you guys really don't know..?

Thats the save size.
Filesize is irrelevent to you unless you have limited space, but Save size is important cause if you want to use saves... thats the min they need to be.
Its save size.

PuyoDead

Hey! Hey! Oh!
Trophies
Website
www.flickr.com
XP
Country
United States
Antoligy said:

Thats the save size.
Filesize is irrelevent to you unless you have limited space, but Save size is important cause if you want to use saves... thats the min they need to be.
Its save size.

I'm not sure you know what you're talking about here...

Frederica Bernkastel

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
PuyoDead said:
Antoligy said:

Thats the save size.
Its save size.

I'm not sure you know what you're talking about here...
I know what I'm talking about.
Some sites say the save size
whereas most other ones say filesize.

you only really need save size if you need to set saves manually like on the EZ Flash V.

PuyoDead

Hey! Hey! Oh!
Trophies
Website
www.flickr.com
XP
Country
United States
Try not to confuse them any more than necessary.

If you're seeing different sizes, you're most likely just seeing the same game on different compression levels, or someone already trimmed it. That, or it's a crappy repack with a bunch of screenshots, links to websites, text files, and other junk.

Either way, it's the same game. Regardless of being trimmed or not, it's going to work just the same.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Goku likes to flip the bean to get others healthy