ds lite vs dsi? for homebrew/ hacking

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by spyro3dsguy, Nov 28, 2011.

Nov 28, 2011
  1. spyro3dsguy
    OP

Member spyro3dsguy GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    Hey people. Which one do you think is better dsi or ds lite. there are some cool things about the dsi that pull me in, the best feature is the extra processing power and ram. But the things that make me not like it are the lack of gba slot (dstwo emulates gba like crap) and the larger size. Yes, I have small hands. When I played my friends dsi, I got so many cramps from trying to reach the shoulder buttons that I had to put the thing down pretty frequently, plus it feels too big for my pockets, and this was not so with the ds lite. Since I'm using my ds for mostly homebrew, i wanted to know if the dsi homebrew scene still exists because the extra power of the dsi is great for homebrew and new/better emulators. If it does still exist, are there any dsi only projects coming. There were rumers of the dsi scene dying off because of the 3ds ( which I might get later but not now for reasons) and I think that I might as well keep my ds lite until I have enough money for the 3ds/ 3ds gets hacked. So is the dsi worth it?

2. s4mid4re

Member s4mid4re  

United States
    Only the iEvo supports dsi mode; without dsi mode, you don't gain the extra RAM or processing power on flashcarts. It's a waste if you want a dsi for that, when you don't have an iEvo. If the size is a problem, get a DSi XL instead. If you don't mind the size, get a dsl.

3. Ammako

Member Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    He had a problem with the DSi's larger size.

4. s4mid4re

Member s4mid4re  

United States
    *facepalm* >_

5. xxNathanxx

Member xxNathanxx GBAtemp Regular

Tonga
    The DSi is pretty much the same size as the DS Lite, so my guess is OP was talking about the DSi XL in the first place.

Get a DSi if you want a browser DSiWare, get a DS Lite if you want slot-2.

Or get a 3DS, because that's where all hackers are focusing their attention towards nowadays.

1 person likes this.
  6. Thesolcity

Member Thesolcity Wherever the light shines, it casts a shadow.

United States
    DS Lites are cheaper and the DSi really has nothing going for it anyway save a few decent DSiWare games.

7. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    DS Lite + Ez 3in1 + AK2i/DSTwo or DSi + DSTwo.

Both combos give great results, but the first boasts with higher compatibility since it's an "older" solution. It also provides more RAM and native GBA support, unlike DSTwo which only emulates.

On the other hand though, I find DSi's to be... more... "structurally sound". I own a DS Lite, personally. Love it to bits, take care of it as if it was a baby, but it has cracks near hinges anyways - they just "appear".

8. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    The DSi does have larger, nicer screens than the DS Lite, they simply take up more of the console's size.

9. Mariosegafreak

Member Mariosegafreak AKA ZeroTheSavior

United States
    I prefer the DSi, though I don't have one. (My sister does.) Mostly because of the bigger screen and flipnote studio.