Arithmatics

I'll be holding on to you. ;}
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Hi all,

So I broke my ds lite at the power indicator hinge.

122710000939.jpg

122710000829.jpg

Instead of super glue-ing it back together I wanted to just replace the casing altogether.
But i'm not hardware savvy and I'm worried i might do more harm than good.

If I buy the replacement kit and send it to a store to do the replacing, are there any dangers that the store would replace the ds hardware with fake ones?
and how can I tell the difference game-wise.

And where can i get an excellent looking replacement case? preferably see-through.

Thanks.

dreamseller

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
try dealextreme read reviews and look at photos and vids
about whos gonna change it id recommend you do it your self
there are tons of tuts here on gbatemp & youtube

Arithmatics

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
I'm more worried about my static destroying the ds. I'm known to shock everyone I shake hands with... or so i've been told. [/vain]

skaman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I've replaced four complete DSL cases (broken hinges) and several top screens.

The replacement cases are pretty accurate and come in a variety of colors. I've gotten them from dealextreme and deveno.

There is a good tutorial here: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=98240

Take your time when disassembling. If you're only replacing the bottom half of the unit, be careful with the ribbon cable that connects to the upper half (top screen). Pay attention to the original routing of the microphone and speaker wires. Keep track of the screws and springs. The triwing screw heads are pretty soft and easily get rounded out making them useless. The replacement case should come with the screwdrivers and extra screws.

When reassembling, tape the plastic switches (volume & power) in place and make sure they line up with the actual switches on the circuit board. People have snapped the switches off the board when they were not lined up.

Good Luck!

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're worried about ESD (electrostatic discharge), just ground yourself by touching a large, metal object before touching the DS parts.

Arithmatics

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Seems complicated. well I asked around where I live and there was this shop that would do it for $180 MYR. which is about $58 USD.

Quality-wise, the replacement cases are unknown but the shop owner says they're VERY good quality (pssfhthfh)

What do you guys recommend?

I'm not confident in doing this myself so would it be better to risk a sh*tty replacement case but get my DSL back? or risk my DSL but get a what I know to be a good quality replacement case and crappily install it?

CookiesMilk

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Arithmatics said:
Seems complicated. well I asked around where I live and there was this shop that would do it for $180 MYR. which is about $58 USD.

Quality-wise, the replacement cases are unknown but the shop owner says they're VERY good quality (pssfhthfh)

I'm not confident in doing this myself so would it be better to risk a sh*tty replacement case but get my DSL back? or risk my DSL but get a what I know to be a good quality replacement case and crappily install it?
I'm 14 and I can do it so you must be able to do it also
smile.gif
Order 1 from DealExtreme and do it your own by following those plentiful of tutorials floating around the internet.. Will be the best and cheaper a lot also..

Don't give it to the shop and let them help you to do it.. I believe those seller also get those replacement kit out of some suppliers or website for a cheap price also.

Before I came to this forum, I know nothing about DS flashcart and almost got tricked by a seller in Malaysia that sells an R4i for RM150+.. The R4i originally worth about only 10+USD (RM40+ at most I think).. Those shameless seller always tend to trick the buyer by selling some dirty-cheap stuff at a preposterous price..

So the conclusion is, do it yourself and don't waste your money! (Don't give it to the shop worker to help you fix)

Arithmatics

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
CookiesMilk said:
Arithmatics said:

I'm 14 and I can do it so you must be able to do it also
smile.gif
Order 1 from DealExtreme and do it your own by following those plentiful of tutorials floating around the internet.. Will be the best and cheaper a lot also..

Don't give it to the shop and let them help you to do it.. I believe those seller also get those replacement kit out of some suppliers or website for a cheap price also.

Before I came to this forum, I know nothing about DS flashcart and almost got tricked by a seller in Malaysia that sells an R4i for RM150+.. The R4i originally worth about only 10+USD (RM40+ at most I think).. Those shameless seller always tend to trick the buyer by selling some dirty-cheap stuff at a preposterous price..

So the conclusion is, do it yourself and don't waste your money! (Don't give it to the shop worker to help you fix)

that happened to me. i bought my R4DS (original thank god) for RM120+1GB SD card.

r3gR3t

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hey, I want to change my DS' case too, but i'd like to know, if the case comes with the buttons. I mean, my DS's D-pad is kinda used up (if you get what I mean), and it's getting harder to play games with the d-pad. So, does the case come with replacement buttons or something like that?? Or what can I do if they don't?? Sorry for asking my question in someone else's thread.

Arithmatics

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
r3gR3t said:
Hey, I want to change my DS' case too, but i'd like to know, if the case comes with the buttons. I mean, my DS's D-pad is kinda used up (if you get what I mean), and it's getting harder to play games with the d-pad. So, does the case come with replacement buttons or something like that?? Or what can I do if they don't?? Sorry for asking my question in someone else's thread.

no worries mate. better than starting your own thread.

From what i've heard yes they come with matching d-pad buttons and whatnot. everything that you find on the shell/case should be replaced in the same way. hence there SHOULD be those replacements

Arithmatics

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
r3gR3t said:
Oh ok. Cool. Can you tell me a good site to order it?? One that has low prices and good shiping would be apreiated, I live outside of the USA

DealExtreme?

Posts merged

QUOTE(r3gR3t @ Dec 30 2010, 06:58 PM) Oh ok. Cool. Can you tell me a good site to order it?? One that has low prices and good shiping would be apreiated, I live outside of the USA

DealExtreme?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    It could get banned from PSN but you can change your ID I think?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Did you try wearing them?