Ssseth

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I figured this forum would be a better place to post my repair questions. The original post is here.

Ssseth said:
I inherited (well, bought I suppose since I bought him a DS game for it) a pretty beat up DS from my nephew and will be replacing the case. A dog has chewed on the corner of the upper half and the R button barely works, it doesn't have any more "click" to it. So annoying on any games that use that button. Almost unplayable really. I'm hoping that replacing the case and button should fix that? If not, anyone know how do I would fix that?

The touchscreen has a few too many scratches for my liking as well. My understanding is that when I replace the case, it should have new plastic over top and the scratches will be gone. Is that correct?
Thanks in advance for any assistance!

gratefulbuddy

amateur lunatic
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ssseth said:
I figured this forum would be a better place to post my repair questions. The original post is here.

Ssseth said:
I inherited (well, bought I suppose since I bought him a DS game for it) a pretty beat up DS from my nephew and will be replacing the case. A dog has chewed on the corner of the upper half and the R button barely works, it doesn't have any more "click" to it. So annoying on any games that use that button. Almost unplayable really. I'm hoping that replacing the case and button should fix that? If not, anyone know how do I would fix that?

The touchscreen has a few too many scratches for my liking as well. My understanding is that when I replace the case, it should have new plastic over top and the scratches will be gone. Is that correct?
Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Unless there was some type of screen protection installed ("plastic over top"), the only way to easily eliminate the scratches is to replace the touchscreen.

Ssseth

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
gratefulbuddy said:
Unless there was some type of screen protection installed ("plastic over top"), the only way to easily eliminate the scratches is to replace the touchscreen.
Okay, I looked up the parts. Do I need to replace both the touch screen section AND LCD screen? Or just one of them? If just one of them, which one?

QUOTE(playallday @ Oct 7 2008, 03:42 PM) I'm selling a phat DS case if you want it.

How much did you pay?
Thanks for the offer, but I have a DS Lite (as per thread title) not a phat.

dewback

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
on the DS lite there is a clear plastic over the top of the touch screen.
A good case will have replacement for this to match the color of the case.
the touch screen is over the top of the lower lcd and is advalible at DX for about $3
They also have the replacement r an l switches but do need to be soldered in.

Ssseth

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
dewback said:
the touch screen is over the top of the lower lcd and is advalible at DX for about $3
They also have the replacement r an l switches but do need to be soldered in.
Thanks for that. So only the touch screen portion needs to be replaced then (not the LCD as well)? The scratches don't appear too deep, just a lot of them.

gratefulbuddy

amateur lunatic
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
dewback said:
on the DS lite there is a clear plastic over the top of the touch screen.That is not true. The touchscreen is made of two pieces of plastic. You may think the top layer is replaceable but its not. If you seperate the two layers you will damage the touchscreen. (More info on touchscreens)

QUOTEA good case will have replacement for this to match the color of the case.
Again, not true. What is included is the top screen cover and the frame that goes around the edge of the touchscreen (which will not help with scratches on the touchscreen at all.)

Ssseth

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Okay... so now I'm confused. Which part needs to be replaced?
blink.gif

Ssseth

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
mysticwaterfall said:
As has ben mentioned in several other threads, there will be no exclusive DSi games except for the DS Shop download ones.

Hadrian said:
Retail games for the DSi will be the same as DS & DS Lite. The only difference is the DSi download stuff.

gratefulbuddy said:
QUOTE(Ssseth @ Oct 8 2008, 09:10 AM)
Okay... so now I'm confused. Which part needs to be replaced?
blink.gif
To eliminate scratches on touchscreen = replace touchscreen

A replacement case will not help with scratches on the touchscreen.
Okay, so I just need to replace the touchscreen part then and not the touchscreen AND LCD? I can order them as two separate parts.

Thanks again!

playallday

Group: GBAtemp Ghost
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Ssseth said:
playallday said:
I'm selling a phat DS case if you want it.

How much did you pay?
Thanks for the offer, but I have a DS Lite (as per thread title) not a phat.
Oh I also have many Lite parts that I'll if you want them.

YOU DO NOT NEED TO GET A NEW BOTTOM SCREEN TO GET THE SCRATCHES OFF! ALL YOU NEED IS A NEW CASE WITH A FRAME! Sorry about the cap lock but I needed to get my point.

dewback

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dewback said:

thanks playallday
Frame thats what that damn thing is called
I did do a touch screen replacement on one of my DSL and found the few scraches were on the FRAME.

Some times just pull the thing apart and look at how it is setup there is a very good walk thought on the the site for disasemble of the dsl

Frederica Bernkastel

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Send it to ConsoleDoctor.
(www.consoledoctor.co.uk)
I reviewed them at: www.antoligy.com/stuff/reviews/ConsoleDoctor Service.RTF
They're quick and cheap!

gratefulbuddy

amateur lunatic
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
playallday said:
YOU DO NOT NEED TO GET A NEW BOTTOM SCREEN TO GET THE SCRATCHES OFF! ALL YOU NEED IS A NEW CASE WITH A FRAME! Sorry about the cap lock but I needed to get my point.
playallday said:
Just to warn you all the last time I remove the frame from the touch screen it stopped working with touch.

LIKE I SAID:
QUOTE(gratefulbuddy @ Oct 7 2008, 07:58 PM)
The touchscreen is made of two pieces of plastic. You may think the top layer is replaceable but its not. If you seperate the two layers you will damage the touchscreen. (More info on touchscreens)

Also the bottom screen frame is literally just a frame that borders the touch screen. There is no type of plastic in the middle of the frame. If you start to peel the frame up there is a good possibility you will also start to seperate the touchscreen layers, so make sure you hold the touchscreen together along the edge as you peel the frame up.

Ssseth

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks for the advice everyone!
Antoligy said:
Send it to ConsoleDoctor.
(www.consoledoctor.co.uk)
I reviewed them at: www.antoligy.com/stuff/reviews/ConsoleDoctor Service.RTF
They're quick and cheap!
Thanks but I'd only have to spend $20 to get a brand new DS, not worth it to me.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
my R button became very hard to press. there is a small hole just by the power led that lets in dust. one very tiny bit is all the micro switch needs to stop working. pull the R button back until you see this opening and then give it some squirts with a can of compressed air. if it doesn't work try it a few times. it took me about 5 tries to fix mine and that 4$ can of air saved me the 86$ nintendo wanted to fix it.

-another world

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: