Gaming DS Lite, is the bottom screen normally slighty yellow?

caribou007

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Like the title says, I got a brand new DS Lite from Nintendo and the bottom screen is just slightly darker, and off-white. Could someone check their DS and confirm that's normal please?

Latiken

GBATemp's Epic Fusion
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm... I cannot see because my DS Lite is broken :(
But from memory I don't think that is normal.
Try changing the back light to high then low.
Also, try different combos.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
i do recall that some people reported the ds lite and dsi having a yellow hue on the bottom screen. nintendo replied that this was within the known design parameters and that they would not be accepting any repairs on these systems. if you bought it new, return it. if you bought it second hand, try to enjoy it.

-another world

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia

caribou007

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ohh, well, mine's not that bad so I guess I won't get it replaced. Although Nintendo was really nice when they did the last replacement so they'd probably replace just the screen. I don't want to ask again cause they had to send it back and forth so many times to try to fix the shoulder pads. I have to give it to their call center for being very nice. Sucks that this is an issue tho. If I had one of the DS' with a very yellow screen, then I'm sure I'd get it replaced. Thanks for the info!

caribou007

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Does anyone have a DS Lite with a bottom screen that isn't even slightly darker and yellow tinted compared to the top screen? I know the issue varies in how bad it is, but does anyone have a system that actually has a bottom screen that's perfectly white, like the top screen?

bialy_gibson

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I also have slightly yellowish lower screen. The console was bought brand new in local console store. Due to scratches I recently replaced touch panel, but the tint stayed, so it has to be LCD screen issue.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
LCD screens vary in specs in general - this is why the DS technically has the pressure detection feature which is not used in any game due to its unpredictable nature. This feature was later dropped, however the DS and DS Lite models do have it as far as I know.

The tint isn't anything serious - it's speculated that it's related to the glue used to put the LCD screen together, but I'm afraid I'm not familiar with the technological process behind it to confirm it. It's not something that will impede using the system and it can either disappear or get worse, depending on whether the glue becomes more transparent or more visible as it dries up (the first case only applies if the system is brand new, and in your case it isn't since DS Lite's are no longer produced).

Todderbert

Korg Fanboy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I'm just wondering if there are actually any that do not have any tint at all. That are crystal clear.
My onyx lite has the warm yellow tinted screen, while my wife's cobalt has a nice sharp cool-white bottom screen. After playing both I actually prefer the warmer screen, the colors are more saturated.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-