Hacking DS Lite D-pad

neojei

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You don't need a tri-wing to bust a DS open or a DS Lite, just get some jewelers slotted screw driver, 1.2 mm, or a Craftsman's 3/64 slotted screw driver, works really well. Craftsman also has lifetime warranty so if it breaks just bring it back and get a free replacement no questions asked, which is what I have to do with another screw driver right now, hahah.
My Lite is cracked on both hinges, but the D-pad works fine for me. When I first started playing Gunstar I kinda was getting the diagnol problem, but I think I've gotten used to it.

gr33dy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
On my Lite, I've noticed the North-East direction is not recognized as easily as the other directions. It is incredibly annoying and most obvious when playing Mario 64 DS.

other

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
On my Lite, I've noticed the North-East direction is not recognized as easily as the other directions. It is incredibly annoying and most obvious when playing Mario 64 DS.

I find north-west the most difficult to pull off. Piece of shit d-pads, that's for sure. I really don't feel like buying Nintendo products when their distributor in Sweden is retarded and won't replace broken products.

pte

Trophies
XP
Country
The Finnish representative of Nintendo, Amo Ltd, changed my Lite to a new one due to an infunctional D-Pad. My lite had another problem as well, the touchscreen had this cracking sound and sometimes it lost contact et cetra. But the main thing is that if it is really bad they oughta replace it. The consumer law's in most European countries are very good from our point of view. You should not allow the representative company of Nintendo to treat you like crap.

If they won't replace something very obvious, just contact the authorities. If I remember right the Swedish system is pretty much the same as it is here so just start it from there. They have to act if the problem is well acknowledged as it is.

They even stated that my D-Pad should not be as loose as it is. You should call the tech support of the distributor first, if it ain't working make it as publical as possible. If Nintendo of Sweden has their own forums, go there and ask their opinions about the most common problems aka cracked hinges, yellow touchscreens, shifting touchscreens and non-functional D-Pads. They usually awaken by then... if nothing else helps. Contact Nintendo of Europe, thats the highest branch there is in Europe so they can make it happen as well.

Arnold Schwarzen

Trophies
Website
gov.ca.gov
XP
Country
United States
I can confirm that my d-pad has gotten much better and it isn't so difficult to swing bowser anymore in SM64DS. I have only had my lite for about a month and I'll update you guys on wether or not it gets any better. If there is nothing else wrong with your Lite and you don't wanna risk getting a unit with dead pixels or any other defects and having to send it back, keep it for a month or so first and try to use diagonal movement as much as you can (you may have to press the d-pad a little harder than usual). SM64 is a good game to try that with, especially when going up against Bowser.

other

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The Finnish representative of Nintendo, Amo Ltd, changed my Lite to a new one due to an infunctional D-Pad.

That sounds promising, but since it had another problem as well maybe that weighed in?

QUOTE said:
If they won't replace something very obvious, just contact the authorities. If I remember right the Swedish system is pretty much the same as it is here so just start it from there. They have to act if the problem is well acknowledged as it is.

That's actually what I've done. The one I contacted asked me to call her, so that's what I'll do on Monday. I don't know how obvious they find it though. I certainly think it's annoying.

QUOTE said:
They even stated that my D-Pad should not be as loose as it is. You should call the tech support of the distributor first

I called the distributor, and the one I spoke to asked me to call another person. I did, and that person claimed it was normal. I asked how they could find it normal when Nintendo of America recognized it as a problem and replaced units with a faulty d-pad, and he said that maybe they have other rules. It sounds to me like they don't give a shit about their customers.

QUOTE, if it ain't working make it as publical as possible. If Nintendo of Sweden has their own forums, go there and ask their opinions about the most common problems aka cracked hinges, yellow touchscreens, shifting touchscreens and non-functional D-Pads. They usually awaken by then...

Hah, maybe that's a good idea. They have a forum, maybe I should head over there right now.

if nothing else helps. Contact Nintendo of Europe, thats the highest branch there is in Europe so they can make it happen as well.

If it goes that far, I sure hope they can do something about it.

Deaddy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Oh my god I never realized just how bad the diagonals were until I just tried to play Lego Starwars 2 for GBA. It's absolutely terrible! My fingers are killing me from trying to push so hard to move around. This might be worth killing my warranty trying to open it up and mod the d-pad!

other

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Oh my god I never realized just how bad the diagonals were until I just tried to play Lego Starwars 2 for GBA. It's absolutely terrible! My fingers are killing me from trying to push so hard to move around. This might be worth killing my warranty trying to open it up and mod the d-pad!

Or, complaining like hell to Nintendo. We shouldn't have to accept faulty units.

Deaddy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I wonder if those replacement shells will have better d-pads. I doubt it because it seems they tried to perfectly reproduce the original. I hope that if I wait for a while and then get my crack fixed they will have a newer stronger model with improved d-pad available to send me.

other

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The Finnish representative of Nintendo, Amo Ltd, changed my Lite to a new one due to an infunctional D-Pad. My lite had another problem as well, the touchscreen had this cracking sound and sometimes it lost contact et cetra. But the main thing is that if it is really bad they oughta replace it.

I forgot to ask you, did your new Lite have a good d-pad?

pte

Trophies
XP
Country
They got it last Thursday and sent me an email that they will send me a new one by monday. I will get it tomorrow or the day after and I will post my results. I also asked them to test it quickly so that I won't have to resend it to them. I really want to get it fixed this time...

pte

Trophies
XP
Country
A courier came here few mins ago and brought a fresh new black DSL. Now the diagonals work perfectly, there are no dead pixels nor a cracking touchscreen. It's now perfect.

What's your progress other? You should also state that the warranty policies are decided by Nintendo Europe. Since my distributor was working under those policies I got a new one. Every local distributor should follow the same policies.

Orc

‎(ღ˘⌣˘ღ)
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Hong Kong
You guys are lucky since you can send your units to Nintendo. I got okay D-pads though on all of my lites, just needed some time breaking them in for awhile then they're perfect.

other

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
A courier came here few mins ago and brought a fresh new black DSL. Now the diagonals work perfectly, there are no dead pixels nor a cracking touchscreen. It's now perfect.

What's your progress other? You should also state that the warranty policies are decided by Nintendo Europe. Since my distributor was working under those policies I got a new one. Every local distributor should follow the same policies.

I'm actually gonna go to the store right now. Sounds great that you actually got a working black DS Lite, I was afraid they didn't exist.
smile.gif

In which country do you live? From looking at Nintendo Europe's homepage it doesn't look like they have anything to do with Sweden?

Edit: I just remembered, you said you lived in Finland. Then Sweden should also be affected by what Nintendo Europe says.

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm, my D-Pad works just fine. Unfortunately, I have to send my DS Lite in because of the hinge crack, so I don't know if the D-Pad will still be okay when I get it back.

other

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Got the DS Lite back today. They said they replaced the rubber under the d-pad. I think it's better now, SM64DS seems to work fine. It still feels a little weird in Zelda, I'm not sure why.

rezen

Trophies
XP
Country
Just for anyone who wanted to know, Nintendo UK will replace dodgy d-pads!!! They are sending me a new unit after testing my rubbish one out
smile.gif
Mario 64 DS was was just plain impossible on the d-pad and for some reason, the buttons were double registering when being held down as well!

http://www.nintendo-europe.com/NOE/en/GB/contactus/index.jsp

Take the customer service address from above and send a letter with your unit just explaining your problems (mention what games as well in paticular) and they will exchange or repair the unit!!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: I- AURORA BOREALIS? AT THIS TIME OF YEAR, AT THIS TIME OF DAY, IN THIS PART IF THE COUNTRY...