DS Lite D-pad

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by other, Aug 18, 2006.

Aug 18, 2006

DS Lite D-pad by other at 9:35 PM (7,604 Views / 0 Likes) 58 replies

1. other
    OP

Member other GBAtemp Regular

Sweden
    I read the old thread (http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=34352), and I saw that some people really liked the DS Lite d-pad. That's why I must ask how yours react when trying to move diagonally, because mine barely does. You have to press really, really hard, and even then you can't be sure. It's fine up/down/left/right, but diagonally it's the worst d-pad I've ever used. In fact, since it's barely working diagonally, it's the worst d-pad overall, I have ever used. I am unlucky or are yours just as bad?

2. pinbi7

Member pinbi7 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    lucky for you, you haven't tried playing street fighter alpha 3 on the PSP

3. yee

Member yee DOTA 4EVER

Canada
    It's so easy... i don't know what the heck you're talking about, lol.

But yeah anyways, back on topic. I just switched from a DS to a Lite and the D-Pad took a bit of adjusting, it was hard to move in diagonally in the first place, but you just have to get use to it. How hard are you pressing? If you are pressing really hard, I suggest trying another DS Lite before concluding it's just yours.

4. other
    OP

Sweden
    I think it's really hard, but maybe I'm exaggerating. I definitely think it disturbs my enjoyment of many games.

5. .TakaM

Member .TakaM .II

New Zealand
    my dpad is fine, Ive been playing alpha 3 on my DS and I can pull off my uppercuts, hadokens and hurricane kicks easily

6. mackster

Member mackster GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    whoa wtf u can get alpha 3 on DS thru emulator! WHOA awsome some 1 show me plz ( sorry if that sounds like mega nooby)

7. Arnold Schwarzen

Member Arnold Schwarzen GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    There's a GBA version of SFA3, which can be played on a DS by inserting it into Slot 2 [​IMG].

EDIT: Ah right, I was gonna post about my experience with the Lite's D-Pad. I too have a bit of trouble having Mario move in a north-east, south-west, etc. direction for more than almost 10 seconds, I can temporarily run around in a circle before Mario stops after a few seconds, and it is tougher to defeat Bowser with the d-pad as I must use a little bit more force and spin the d-pad in a circle very fast.

I haven't played SM64 alot on my Lite lately but I hear the diagonals should definately break in. Nintendo suggests using a toothbrush to clean inside the d-pad area, though I don't know if this makes it any better, I've heard at least 2 people say it does. I'll probably just keep playing these kind of games for a few hours and notify you guys if the diagonals become easier to pull off. Doesn't enjoy my gaming that much so far and SM64 is still playable, it's just a tiny bit annoying to play because of this problem.

8. yee

Member yee DOTA 4EVER

Canada
    ^

Same here, SM64, was extremely hard with the DSL D-Pad

9. gryto

Member gryto GBAtemp Regular

New Zealand
    The bad diagonals are a common fault. Some dslites have dpads which are not faulty.

10. other
    OP

Sweden
    Playing any Zelda game is also annoying, at least I find it to be.

Really? What are the chances of getting one?

11. wohoo

Member wohoo GBAtemp Fan

Sweden
    come on.. it's just to press a little harder than you're used to... i got used to the DSL D-Pad in 2-3 hours by just thinking to press a little harder than with the fat DS ;P it's not a problem realy.. it's just up to the player

12. other
    OP

Sweden
    A little harder? No way. You have to press a lot harder, and still can't be sure. It totally ruines the game experience. Did you get a good DS Lite or what?

13. gryto

Member gryto GBAtemp Regular

New Zealand
  14. Vater Unser

Member Vater Unser GBAtemp Addict

Germany
    I DO know what he's talking about...
    the DS Lite dpad may be bad, but the PSP dpad is BAAAAD

it's so bad I end up playing most games (even 2D beat'em ups) with the shitty analog nub

the diagonals react even worse than those of the DS Lite pad, and to make it even worse, the dpad is much bigger, and the gap between the up/down/left/right and diagonals are even bigger, which makes it much harder to trigger the diagonals

I bet no human on earth can beat the arcade version of Gradius III (which is included in the Gradius Collection) on the PSP, just because of that bad dpad

15. dtjesus

Newcomer dtjesus Member

Ireland
    my first dslite was a black one and the analogue was the same as the way you described yours. i brought it back and got a white one the next day (I read somewhere that black ones are more prone to this) and its a lot better but its still not as good as the gameboy advance SP imo.

16. .TakaM

Member .TakaM .II

New Zealand
    the dpad on my DSlite is absolutely perfect, it works beautifully and I havent had any problems with it since launch.

17. Deaddy

Member Deaddy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    I've noticed the stubborn diagonals. For example I was playing Tony Hawk last night and I kept trying to do a diagonal grab move and it kept not registering. And then walking around in a game like Mario 64 it almost always does a straight motion unless you push diagonal pretty hard. Shitty.

18. john_blk

Newcomer john_blk Member

United Kingdom

agree 100% the diagonals are a disgrace they are really hard to pull off. Really weird since the snes had the best Dpad ever designed and this also a nintendo product has a crap one. Not the worst because the psps is worse.

19. shadow1w2

Member shadow1w2 Still here.

United States
    PSP is terrible. I cant stand that gap in the middle. Makes fighting games impossible.

I dont like the DS lite d-pad either.
    Its a backward step from what was good.
    The less flat like feel is a little better than the flat SNES like d-pad of the origonal, but diagonals just dont work. Its hard for an adult thumb to press on those tiny d-pads.
    The silver DS ones where good and could handle diagonals like a charm.
    Making 3D games less a pain.

Though in my opion I think the Sega Saturn d-pads were the best. They have diagonals on them so it was easy to use em without hurting your thumb. I found them so very comfertable. I wish I could see them again.
    Plus the Neo Geo Pocket D-pad is just all sorts of awsome :3
    feels very arcade like yet even more responsive.

I wonder how hard it would be to get those two d-pads fitted into a DS.
    Should be a way to do it. Though I might have to make a custom casing for it :/

I do hope nintendo realizes that they crippled the d-pad for older folk. They made the DS lite d-pad more for kids with its smaller size :/
    Not as small as those darn GCN ones, but I was hoping for better.
    Still, I wanna see an improved version of the silver DS. same buttons style, but smaller and a more smoother yet metalic color.
    Not to mention a better stylus ofcourse.

Or better yet, how bout a retro styled DS? Not just some stupid skin, but with snes buttons and d-pad. Plus a rounded out snes controller shape. That would be great [​IMG]

20. other
    OP

Sweden
    I don't have a problem with the size of the d-pad though, if only it would respond. I can't understand why they abandoned the clicky buttons of the DS though, they kicked ass.

Edit: Okay, I just took out a SNES controller and compared d-pads. The d-pad on the DS Lite does feel a bit small. Pressing the up/left diagonal is kind of bothersome. I didn't think it was until I compared though.