DS-Lite Crack hinge preventative.

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by CatScam, Jul 31, 2006.

Jul 31, 2006
  1. CatScam
    OP

Member CatScam ScamaRama!

United States
    I thought I’d pass this along although; this is more of a theory then Nintendo fact.
    A friend that works in a video game store had been receiving a large amount of DS
    lite returns mainly due to a cracked hinge. After examining a hand full of the white
    US lites & comparing them to other imports like the black & blue lites. He noticed
    that although the US lites seem to be made from the same thickness & quality plastic
    as the others. The left hinge of the top screen seemed to rub more on the US versions
    almost like a tighter fit. His store has since added a drop of lubricant such as WD-40
    or a clear oil before selling any new lites & have not received a crack hinge return since.
    His theory is the tight fit & constant opening & closing of the top screen, stresses that
    little strip of plastic causing a crack. He has contacted Nintendo to tell them of his
    findings, but the people he had talked to tell him there is no crack problem that there
    aware of so have no need for his theory.

So if you have a good US lite & are worried about a crack forming give the lubricant theory
    a try. I can’t see any harm coming from it & if there’s any truth to it you’ll save your self
    a return. But remember this is just a theory.

Looking at the picture, just put a drop of clear lubricant in between the (A) & (B) on the red gap.
    [​IMG]

2. XxMxVxPxX

Member XxMxVxPxX GBAtemp Regular

United States
    hmmm, interesting. i might try it. i just dont want to fuck anything up

3. Topsy

Member Topsy GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Good post. Thanks. I just got some sewing machine lubricant and I'm gonna try a drop on the hinge - can't hurt and is probably a good idea.

4. kvad

Member kvad GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    WD-40 would only work for a little while compared to something like sewing machine oil as the way its made it disapears faster. I can't remember the exact reasoning but for example if you have a noisy fan (CPU, etc.) use WD-40 and see how long that lasts for compared to sewing machine oil.

Anyway I'm not game to try this out just yet I'm thinking something like oil might stain that area?

5. zragnarok

Member zragnarok GBAtemp Regular

United States
    or how about nintendo builds a quality product in the first place so we dont have to deal with this

6. pelago

Member pelago Member

United Kingdom
  7. amptor

Banned amptor Banned

United States
    wd40 is useless for practically anything you would imagine using it on.

ALWAYS use teflon based lube or dry lubricant on plastic parts. Reason being is that the chemicals in things such as WD40 or petroleum based products will ruin the plastic.

8. dude1

Member dude1 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    i just paid the extra 20 for the extended warranty at ebgames mainly because they cover bad flashes and nintendo doesn't seem to but im happy i dont have to worry about this cracked hinge problem at least for 2 years

9. Heran Bago

Member Heran Bago Where do puyo come from?

United States
    I'm in agreement.

If my hinge cracks I'll make ample use of the 12-month warrantee on it. Hell, I'll even get my dead pixel fixed.

10. WK416

Member WK416 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Well, it IS a quality product. It's the people at the manufacturing plant who messed up on a small detail. Even so, it's a cosmetic problem and doesn't affect the performance at all.

Of course, for many people, appearance/visuals = quality. =p