Hacking DS-Lite Crack hinge preventative.

CatScam

ScamaRama!
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I thought I’d pass this along although; this is more of a theory then Nintendo fact.
A friend that works in a video game store had been receiving a large amount of DS
lite returns mainly due to a cracked hinge. After examining a hand full of the white
US lites & comparing them to other imports like the black & blue lites. He noticed
that although the US lites seem to be made from the same thickness & quality plastic
as the others. The left hinge of the top screen seemed to rub more on the US versions
almost like a tighter fit. His store has since added a drop of lubricant such as WD-40
or a clear oil before selling any new lites & have not received a crack hinge return since.
His theory is the tight fit & constant opening & closing of the top screen, stresses that
little strip of plastic causing a crack. He has contacted Nintendo to tell them of his
findings, but the people he had talked to tell him there is no crack problem that there
aware of so have no need for his theory.

So if you have a good US lite & are worried about a crack forming give the lubricant theory
a try. I can’t see any harm coming from it & if there’s any truth to it you’ll save your self
a return. But remember this is just a theory.

Looking at the picture, just put a drop of clear lubricant in between the (A) & (B) on the red gap.
No-Crack2.jpg

Topsy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Good post. Thanks. I just got some sewing machine lubricant and I'm gonna try a drop on the hinge - can't hurt and is probably a good idea.

kvad

Trophies
Website
www.dynamitepig.com
XP
Country
WD-40 would only work for a little while compared to something like sewing machine oil as the way its made it disapears faster. I can't remember the exact reasoning but for example if you have a noisy fan (CPU, etc.) use WD-40 and see how long that lasts for compared to sewing machine oil.

Anyway I'm not game to try this out just yet I'm thinking something like oil might stain that area?

amptor

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
wd40 is useless for practically anything you would imagine using it on.

ALWAYS use teflon based lube or dry lubricant on plastic parts. Reason being is that the chemicals in things such as WD40 or petroleum based products will ruin the plastic.

dude1

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
i just paid the extra 20 for the extended warranty at ebgames mainly because they cover bad flashes and nintendo doesn't seem to but im happy i dont have to worry about this cracked hinge problem at least for 2 years

WK416

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: hello