spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
Shabadage said:
I'm all for a BitTorrent client for the NDS. While speeds would obviously be limited, it'd be nice to drop the innocent looking DS somewhere at an active hotspot to get some downloading done.

The main problem i can see with that, is that with the ds wifi being so slow, it would take a good few hours to transfer a 15-20mb file, most people using torrents for super-huge archives (500mb - 50gb) you would have to leave your ds downloading for a couple of years. A complete waste of time i thingk.

Shabadage

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
spinal_cord said:
Shabadage said:
I'm all for a BitTorrent client for the NDS. While speeds would obviously be limited, it'd be nice to drop the innocent looking DS somewhere at an active hotspot to get some downloading done.

The main problem i can see with that, is that with the ds wifi being so slow, it would take a good few hours to transfer a 15-20mb file, most people using torrents for super-huge archives (500mb - 50gb) you would have to leave your ds downloading for a couple of years. A complete waste of time i thingk.

I have no idea what kind of speed would be possible with the ds. Wireless B isn't nearly as slow as people make it out to be, I think it would actually take more time for the DS to process and store the data.

linkenski

Trophies
XP
Country
how about voice chat client.

i know Infinitile Paralyser made such a thing but it wasn't that good. maybe more pictochat like, or custom firmware with custom pictochat.

floating

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
A flashcard tool for learning, perhaps a port of mnemosyne.

I am using it to learn japanese vocabulary. The mnemosyne page provides .xml files for different kind of card decks.

I wonder if there is already smth similar..

playallday

Group: GBAtemp Ghost
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
wabsta said:
a port of Dink Smallwood
It IS open source... so...
Sorry I just don't want to do role-playing games or any games here. If you want to post game ideas post it somewhere else.

QUOTE(floating @ Aug 6 2008, 04:10 PM) A flashcard tool for learning, perhaps a port of mnemosyne.

I am using it to learn japanese vocabulary. The mnemosyne page provides .xml files for different kind of card decks.

Sorry, what is the homebrew? The more detail the better!

floating

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
floating said:
QUOTE said:
A flashcard tool for learning, perhaps a port of mnemosyne.

Sorry, what is the homebrew? The more detail the better!

sry.. I meant it's an idea, that someone could do such a homebrew app/game for nintendo DS. It would be really useful, and if it supported the same .xml that mnemosyne does (or if it becomes a port of that) there would be already template sets for different interests.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
i've been wanting something along the lines of dsmaps that has google direction look up for a very long time. when i'm out driving i hit wifi hot spots all the time. taking a second to get some directions on the go would be great and a cheap alternative to an expensive in-car navigation system.

also instead of new ideas i'd like to see someone update and work on the source for many of the dropped emualtors.
dsdoom has required an official update for multiple wads, wad choosing, and sound efx for awhile =/.
nesDS source has been released for about a year and i've only seen one fork of it that adds button combination controls in place of the shoddy touch screen controls.

web browsing? okiwi has been a dead project. a call for coders went out awhile ago. i'd love to see someone jump on that as that browser has the most promise.

-another world

dinofan01

Misses the old days...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Damn it!!! I had so many good homebrew ideas but I can no longer remember them.(was walking around my house before school a while ago and I usually forget everything before school)

The only one I can think of is maybe a cross console app that streams ONLY the top screen of your DS to the Wii so your friends can watch and play with you. Picture this; your playing a Wi-fi game against another friend across the globe. Your friends at your house can be like " hes over there!" Kind of like the way when you play some goldeneye with your friends and people are just yelling but having fun. My idea reminds me of Wii Speak actually. The whole room playing together...dear God i'm turning in to Miyamoto!

I understand it will be ages; if its possible, for this to be done. Wii homebrew still has a long way to go before DS connectivity happens.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Two applications cannot run at the same time on the DS. If you run the "screen streamer" app you cannot run the game, and vice versa.

On a side note, I know a basic Bittorrent client was ported to DSLinux but I never really tried it out. Wonder how well it works.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not entirely a bad idea there, and it's certainly possible. Load up an mp3 file that has no tags set in DSOrganize and it will create a quick visualization, though it isn't the greatest. DSScratch also has a visual representation of what you're mixing, which is pretty cool.

Raestloz

GBATemp's Lone Wolf
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Another idea popped out.

DSMap

What does it do? Basically, some people bring NDS along whe they go out. This homebrew provides you with a map, a la GTA, for your city. While looking at the map, you may choose what to display: famous shopping centers, famous restaurants, famous places, in short, places of interest. This will prove useful when you wanna hang out, and nobody will say you're childish because you're bringing a DS, two birds with one stone.

The map will display a la GTA, but you can use L and R to scroll over each symbol

example:
You're looking at a map of Paris. You choose "Famous Places" to appear on the map (only 1 category displayed on the screen, so no confusion). You press L and one of the icons (Say, Eiffel Tower) blips and a box -with short description (the place's name, what's so good about it)- that displays "Eiffel Tower, the view from the top is nice" appears

IzzehO

Trophies
XP
Country
Well it seems the consensus so far is a wifi program of some sort.
-About the above Maps program - how about a version that doesn't require net - you download maps for a specific region and it'll run without wifi?
-How about an underground app like a WEP key cracker?
tongue.gif
Would be very useful for my university - lol...
-Game of life port (this isn't a game per-se, check it up on wikipedia)
-A more indepth calculator program - with conversion technology?
-Wikipedia viewer?
ohmy.gif
Perhaps using the mobile wikipedia pages so nothing really needs to be changed.
-A game .sav backup - searches the card and backs up all the .sav files it can find into an archive!

Meh, I just made these up - the ones I really want I can't remember.

Balrogs.Pain

Trophies
XP
Country
not sure if its possible, but a homebrew application that will play music and allow you to run your NDS Roms on mute, and you could press a button combo (like my cycloDS's L+R+ABXY) and you would return to the homebrew, or mabye make it unmuted and music stopped?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Oj did the Dj