Homebrew DS Game Maker... Anyone use it?

Schizoanalysis

From somewhere inside the rabbit hole...
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hi all,

Does anyone use DS Game Maker?

Is it OK? Is it easy enough to use?

I read the instruction manual and it seems somewhat straightforward enough -- but before I invest too much time into learning the ropes, I would love to hear people's opinions about it -- or if there is a better way out there for a non-programmer to make DS games/apps....

Thanks!

Bently

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If you really want to resort to DS Game Maker than its solely you're choice. But it would be better if you just learned the basics of C++, and use resources like PAlib and DevKitPro. It'll take a lot of time learning but you'll get the hang of it.

DS Game Maker is an alright program for beginners but unless you have money to spend then don't even bother trying the free version. (P.S: the pro version is about $12)

fearofshorts

Trophies
XP
Country
It's really not a good thing to do.
I mean, it allows you to create some basic games sure. But then you hit the ceiling for what the program can do. And then you cannot translate your skill into another programming language, as it is not actually anything like programming.

Seriously, just learn a programming language. It's the only way.

Dagatahas

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I've used the trial/free version and it's pretty good however you will be limited by the options given by the program itself on how or what you use to make your game. For begginers or those that don't want to do actual programming it'll let you do basic stuff to make games but if you want to make complicated games or use features that require actual advanced coding you'll want to learn how to manually make a program later.

jeremy506

Some dude.
Trophies
XP
Country
Nauru
Coming from some experience:

I used DSGameMaker for 4 whole months, then decided to switch to manual coding (C,C++) with PAlib, and it was hell.

Just start from C then C++.

Eldude

Trophies
XP
Country
I am a moderator on the DSGM forum. I am saying this first so you know that my comment might be biased.

I would not have been able to put Hello World on the screen without DSGameMaker when I first started making things for the DS. Everyone here is telling you to learn c.. the fact is that even if you go with DSGM I suggest the same thing. You have to have a basic knowledge of c to use DSGM.

It is a great stepping stone before moving onto hand coding.
There is a lot of users that have moved onto hand coding but alot still arrange there game in DSGM first as it process the graphics for you. then it gives you access to the main.c where you can edit all you like and then run the make batch to keep going with the project.

In the end, think of DSGM as a nice GUI front end for Palib. Palib is just a front end for devkitpro.

Its like dreamweaver is for web page design. You can place pictures on the screen but you can still view the code.

I found DSGM a great way to learn to code for the DS. If I am not sure how to make something by hand coding, I make it in DSGM and then view the main.c and learn from it.

The free version is great for learning. There is no real reason to buy the pro unless you plan on making your whole game in the tool.

If anything, install it just to have it set up your tool chain and then make your game in the temp folder provided.

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
Palib is just a front end for devkitpro.

That doesn't sound quite right to me, PALib is a collection of functions designed to make ds coding a bit easier. Saying it is just a 'front end' suggests than it is just a gui used to load a command-line tool.

IMHO, learn to code in c first, using palib will ease the process a hell of a lot as using pure devkitpro you will need to know a hell of a lot about the DS hardware. With palib, there are many functions that take care of loading background, sprites and sounds etc.
I have never used DSGM, but I have tried similar products in the past for windows, and if you're happy to make something that is little more than a scripted animation, maybe that sort of software is what you're looking for, but remember, the further away from 'real' programming that you get, the more limited you are in what you can do.

Eldude

Trophies
XP
Country
spinal_cord said:
QUOTE said:
Palib is just a front end for devkitpro.

if you're happy to make something that is little more than a scripted animation

Spinal is thinking about Game maker or Scratch for PC. DSGM is far from just make games as a scripted animation. As I have already said, you need to know how to code a little when using DSGM.

My quote about Palib may have been off a bit. Spinal says it is a library to make devkitpro easier... Well DSGM is a tool to then make Palib easier.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lesbians invented babies +2