Homebrew DS Emulator Using Same .SAV Files as Flash Carts?

bobkipper

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a DS emulator that exists on the PC that uses the same .sav files as flash carts? My SD card recently went kaput, but I was able to salvage a good chunk of the files. I hadn't backed up my saves in a while like a dummy, and all I have now are a bunch of files called "FILE0039.CHK" and the like. I was able to salvage a couple of saves out of there because I only had a few games with a 1,024 KB .sav file and I just kept renaming them and trying them on my flash cart until one worked. I have about 80 512 KB files here, but I only need the saves for a couple of games. I have no idea which of these files is which though, and the thought of renaming 80+ files one at a time, putting them on an SD card, loading them in my CycloDS, and seeing if the ROM reads them is not appealing. That's a lot of time and I don't want to manhandle my remaining SD card like that. So, basically, is there an emulator for the PC that will load these .sav files? I tried NO$GBA as it did generate .sav files for ROMs, but it just wrote over the .sav with a new one of a much smaller filesize. I tested this with a backed-up .sav that I know works. My apologies if this is a really dumb question and I'm just being a big ol' stupid. Thanks in advance to anybody who can help me out.

bobkipper

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The .chk files are just the generic files dumped off of my corrupted SD card by PhotoRescue. Free plug: that's a great program. Worked like a charm. I thought all the files were gone, but it gone them back. True, all my "gamename.sav" files were turned into indiscernible .chk files, but at least they were there.

I use a CycloDS, but I just needed any emulator that could read its .sav files so I could test them out before trying them on the cart. This site you linked should suit my needs very nicely. Thanks a lot! You saved me a lot of time and wear and tear on my SD card.

EDIT: This site doesn't really seem to be working for me. I set the input as "CycloDS" and the output to "NO$GBA," but the converted file won't work in NO$GBA. I found another DS converter called DS Save Tools that has the same problem. Both are converting the 1 MB save file I have into a 512 KB save file. The size of the .sav file created by NO$GBA for this game is only 13 KB. I'm still at a loss. I've also tried converting my .sav into another format and then converting it to NO$GBA, but that has the same failed result as had playing around with the input file settings.

avenir

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
modify your NO$GBA.ini.
Code:
SAV/SNA File Format == Raw
BTW XenoFile and XenoBox savconv utility is supposed to be able to generate proper NO$GBA format sav...

bobkipper

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks so much, Pingouin and avenir. You guys were a lot of help. the DeSmuME method seems to be the easiest and it definitely works for what I need. This was a huge help.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll reformat and have a 3tb raid0 m. 2 at least
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lmao that sold out fast
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeet the cat.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Good idea
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i thought everybody knew cocktails are like 75% ice
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah but not like this.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not like they're complaining that their Slurpee is 99% ice or something, but if the cocktail calls for "shot of vodka, shot of vermouth, shot of gin, shot of Campari, three shots of juice, squirt of lemon" and ends up being a thimbleful of booze, that's a problem.
    the funny thing is cocktails in norway are only allowed to have 1 20ml shot of booze
    so..... yeah
    we're used to only having a thimbleful of booze
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Booo.
    same thing if you want whisky on the rocks or something, you can't get a double
    but you could buy as many shots of whisky (or anything else) as you want and ask for a glass of ice and pour them in
    it's dumb
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Maybe.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There was a comparison of the number of Ibuprofen poisonings before and after they limited the maximum dosage per box or per pill (i'll look that up). No limit on the number of boxes you can still buy as many as you want, so people argued it was pointless.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But the number of (accidental) poisonings dropped because drinking an entire package of ibuprofen pills went from "I need a new liver" to "I need a new box of Ibuprofen".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages, but then they halved the dose per pill and sell them in bottles of six pills apiece instead of twenty and it doesn't need a prescription any more. Yes you can buy more than one bottle but people simply don't.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Usually accidentally overdose of ibuprofen here is from people taking like cold medicine then ibuprofen for a headache and the combination is over what they need
    Veho @ Veho: https://imgur.com/gallery/QQkYnQu