DS/DSi homebrew ultimate FAQ for newbies

GBATEMPFAQLOGO2.0.png
By:Vigilante

Introduction​
This a guide is made for those people who are new DS/DSi homebrew.This will go through the basics of DS/DSi hombrew,explaning what it is in the first place and many other things.Without further ado,let the guide begin.
DS homebrew basics
ds%20pics.jpeg
Q: What is Homebrew?
A:It is basically some sort of software made by a person or a group of people using Development kits such as DevkitPro.It is used to do such things not intended by the company who made the console/handheld (like to play music, read PDF and text and etc.

Q: How can a certain gaming system run Homebrew?
A:Usually modern gaming systems does not support these hombrew but usually through an exploit (ex.Twighlight Princess exploit for the Wii) or Third party hardware (DS flashcarts) that these homebrew get to work.

Q: What is DS homebrew?
A:It is homebrew specially made to work on the DS/DSi using a flashcart.

Q: What is a flashcart?
A:It is a Third party hardware made for the DS that allows people to play DS backups and homebrew.

Q: How do I get to install these homebrew on a flashcart?
A:You simply just put them in your micro SD and plug it into to your flashcart but before that (only on really old flashcarts) you have to DLDI patch it.

Q: What is DLDI?
ALDI meaning ‘Dynamically Linked Device Interface’ which allows a certain homebrew to write things on the flashcart.As said before,only the really old flashcarts need the DLDI patching the newer ones are auto-DLDI which skips the DLDI patching process. (For more info about DLDI please visit Gbatemp's DLDI Tutorial made by former staff Opuim.)

Q: What are some great homebrew for the DS?
A:There are many good homebrew for the DS.
Like:
Moonshell a multimedia player that can view text,play music and watch DPG movies.
NesDS which is a great nes emulator for the DS.
DSorganize a handy application where you can write notes and use a calculator.
DShobro an internet browser.
DSi related homebrew
dsi%20pics.jpeg
Q: What is DSi Homebrew?
ASi homebrew is usually a revised version of the normal homebrew for the DS but because the DSi has more capacity it can run that certain homebrew a bit faster.

Q: What can take advantage of DSi homebrew?
A:There are only two,the Cyclods iEvolution and the Sudohax exploit by team Twizzers.

Q: Sudohax?!Whats that suppose to be?
A:It is some sort of exploit made by team Twizzers.It involves the Sudoku dsiware game which you can purchase off the DSiware shop.After Nintendo hearing about the exploit they permanently removed the Sudoku game from the shop.

Q: Examples of these DSi homebrew?
Ane is the Gba emulator by Ichichfly which somehow works better on DSi mode(Though the emulator itself is still working in progress), the DSx86 which has a 286 protech mode support and access up to 12mb of ram on DSi mode and many more.
Supercard DStwo related homebrew
dstwo2.jpeg
Q: What is Supercard DStwo homebrew?
A: It is homebrew specially made for the flashcart Supercard DStwo.Because the Supercard DStwo has added cpu power, some people have made homebrew that utilizes that added cpu.

Q: What are these homebrew that are made for the Supercard DStwo?
A:There are allot of homebrew for the Supercard DStwo, like CATSFC which is a very good Snes emulator and a Gba emulator that has a great compatibility with gba games and many more.
Important Links
DLDI guide by Opuim:Link
DevkitPro site:Link
Homebrew Starter Pack by Savesh50:Link
Gbatemp's massive cheat database:Link
Gbatemp's official wiki:Link
Gbatemp's official download center (where you can download lots of homebrew):Link
591304474548temp.gif
-raulpica for moving and fixing the title of the FAQ.
-KingdomBlade for giving me some great and useful tips.
-SifJar for the good encouragement I got from his/her post.
-Gbatemp staff for making the contest for without it there won't be a faq like this.
-Google Images for the pictures.
-End of FAQ-
Thank you very much for reading!

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
No offence, but the spelling/grammar is appalling. Many sentences don't make sense, and the title is spelt wrong. (Also questions need a question mark, and brackets need to be closed. There are also several sentences that don't make sense, need rearranged or could do with a comma or two added). Little light on content too, but I'm sure you'll add more. Keep up the good work
smile.gif

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
TechnoWorm said:
Uhmm, AFAIK Flashcarts are Third party Softwares
and.. better work for the spellings.
Good luck
I think you need to learn what "software" and "hardware" is. And the plural of software is software. Not "softwares".

(Flashcarts are most definitely hardware)

nintendoom

Nintendoom
Trophies
XP
SifJar said:
TechnoWorm said:
Uhmm, AFAIK Flashcarts are Third party Softwares
and.. better work for the spellings.
Good luck
I think you need to learn what "software" and "hardware" is. And the plural of software is software. Not "softwares".

(Flashcarts are most definitely hardware)
oh sorry, the softwares thing was a typo.
smile.gif

edited it.

Anyways, I still don't think that Flashcarts are hardwares... Let's just call 'em DS Gamepaks, Like how Nintendo calls 'em.

naglaro00

Mildly disturbed
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
TechnoWorm said:
smile.gif

edited it.

Anyways, I still don't think that Flashcarts are hardwares... Let's just call 'em DS Gamepaks, Like how Nintendo calls 'em.

you sure?

Hardware is a general term for physical objects used for specific purposes

@topic:
Fix all the typos and it's good
smile.gif

You even got that old term no one uses anymore
tongue.gif

nintendoom

Nintendoom
Trophies
XP
naglaro00 said:
TechnoWorm said:
smile.gif

edited it.

you sure?

Hardware is a general term for physical objects used for specific purposes

@topic:
Fix all the typos and it's good
smile.gif

You even got that old term no one uses anymore
tongue.gif
forgot about it...
I'm Sure now...
biggrin.gif

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
TechnoWorm said:
smile.gif

edited it.

Well then you are wrong. There is no way to describe a flash cart as anything other than a piece of hardware. Same as a game pak is a piece of hardware. Any physical electronic device is hardware. And any program or code that runs on hardware is software (e.g. the flash cart kernel, games, homebrew etc.)

KingdomBlade

Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)
Trophies
Website
meekpicture.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Formatting is very sloppy. Here's a few tips.

1. Put a space after this "Q:", for example, instead of "Q:What is this?", it should be "Q: What is this?"
2. Pay attention to the spacing in your commas. For example, "Working in progress,more to add.", should be "Work in progress, more to add."
3. Same goes for the parentheses, like this. "Third party hardware(DS flashcarts)that" should be "Third party hardware (DS flashcarts) that"
4. It's and its. Pay attention. Its is possessive, it's is the contraction of it is.
5. Go in depth. The content is quite empty at the moment.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1