Homebrew DS as an Art Tablet

deishido

Texture Modder
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, First and foremost: An art tablet allows users to draw on their pc, using a "pen" on a "tablet" like the mouse on a mousepad.

For artists, the mouse is actually a very difficult tool to use in digital art. So being able to have the control of a pen or pencil while making digital art is an inexaustive resource. However, art tablets are expensive x.x

I was thinking that maybe a program like Remote Touch DS could do this. My acekard2i is broken and I'm still working on getting the money for a new one. So could somebody see if this is a possible way to use a DS as a wireless art tablet? (some programs are pressure sensitive, maybe there is a way to write pressure sensitivity into the Remote Touch DS program?)

Thanks in advance if anyone can confirm this idea ^^

If not, then oh well ^^;

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had a program on my ds and pc that allowed the ds to be used as a wireless game controller, and the touchscreen was the mouse.

I tried using it as a tablet in photoshop... it sucked horribly. The touchscreen seemed to be set up on a very blocky grid, but it may have just been the program I used...

nando

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
plasma dragon007 said:
I had a program on my ds and pc that allowed the ds to be used as a wireless game controller, and the touchscreen was the mouse.

I tried using it as a tablet in photoshop... it sucked horribly. The touchscreen seemed to be set up on a very blocky grid, but it may have just been the program I used...

i doubt it was the program or just the program. the sensors on the ds touchscreen are very far apart. you wouldn't be able to do much with it.

there are some really cheap tablets out there.

deishido

Texture Modder
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm.. Ok, Thanks for the feedback and info.

(It was worth a thought though...
smile.gif
)

spiritofcat

Trophies
XP
Country
As a long time owner of a Wacom tablet I can highly recommend saving up and buying one. The DS won't work very well for drawing because it has no pressure sensitivity and the screen is so small.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The DS and DS Lite have some form of pressure sensitivity, as can be seen with the Colors! drawing application. However, there is wide variance between different users, so a calibration menu had to be added. In official games, the touchscreen is controlled by the ARM7 binary, which is supplied directly by Nintendo. This binary only provides "on" and "off" states for the touchscreen, with no pressure data supplied at all.

The DSi uses a different touchscreen, and to my knowledge it does not have pressure sensitivity, or at least it can't be accessed the same way that it can on the DS/DSL.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BETA215 @ BETA215: Fighting downhill is proper of traitors, sometimes you do what you have to do...