Homebrew DS App Studio development for DSi(BASIC or PRO)

RoyalCardMan

DS App Studio™ Developer
OP
Trophies
Website
www.awsomisoft.com
XP
Country
United States
Hi All!

I just wanted to ask, since I am trying to be as fair with my program.
logoiuy.png

CycloDS has figured a way to make homebrew for the Nintendo DSi using all of its features. Now, I am implementing the development kit into DS App Studio. Should this feature only be for the PRO edition or for both BASIC and PRO editions.

Please post your vote.

Discover

Trophies
XP
Country
You are the developer, not us!
What is with all these scams. Paying for the development of homebrew?
I don't think so.

tomrev

Trophies
Website
www.buycheapipodshop.com
XP
Country
United States
There are several free tools such as Devkit that have used for developing countless great homebrews. Royalcardman, Could you describe the point of paying dev. tools for unprofitable production? Homebrews are unprofitable software, right?

tomrev

Trophies
Website
www.buycheapipodshop.com
XP
Country
United States
RoyalCardMan said:
I guess your right as well. I may just get rid of PRO.

The thing is, Pro is a free-ad program that is all. BASIC you don't need to upgrade to get hidden content.

So, why complain?
Oh sorry if it looks like complain. I just curious that may be any profit potent from your tools. If it could make money, I may buy from you.

RoyalCardMan

DS App Studio™ Developer
OP
Trophies
Website
www.awsomisoft.com
XP
Country
United States
Yes, I know the homebrew is open source, but the tools that make it easier to develop homebrew may cost something because of the person's hard work.

Not all people can program in C++, that is why I made this tool so it is easier to develop homebrew without having to feel like your doing a bad job at making it.

People may want to program, but they just don't have the C++ skills. That is why I made DSAL, DS App Studio.

RoyalCardMan

DS App Studio™ Developer
OP
Trophies
Website
www.awsomisoft.com
XP
Country
United States
I know that. If they do crack it, I will give it free. There are many ways to make the program PRO without even having to crack it. I have done it before, and if people can do it, I am okay with it, unless people actually start decoding DS App Studio and claiming it as their own.

Discover

Trophies
XP
Country
RoyalCardMan said:
The thing is, Pro is a free-ad program that is all. BASIC you don't need to upgrade to get hidden content.
So, why complain?
What is the point, honestly, of putting in your own advertisements, and requesting users to remove them buy paying for this pile of turd.
Not only is this seriously scamming, but it is also illegal, too (for the most part).
You're digging a bit pit for yourself, mate.
Anyone who agrees with me, give defining feedback to the OP.

RoyalCardMan

DS App Studio™ Developer
OP
Trophies
Website
www.awsomisoft.com
XP
Country
United States
I am not trying to convince people to buy this program. I don't really care about the money in the first place. Some people have already said they would buy this. I was just thinking people would be nice enough to pay only $7.00 so I could make it better. DS Game Maker is $14.00, so what can you are argue with when this program is half the price of a limited object-oriented GUI(no offense James Garner).

How is this illegal? You did not specify what was illegal in the first place, leaving me innocent in the first place.

Opinion is good from people, but rude opinions can get you banned as well mate. If you knew how long I have been working on this project, you would think different.

And, how is this a 'Pile of Turd'. Your argument is invalid unless you specify why.

As said before, I am not in it for the money. All I am trying to do is convince people to get involved more in educational subjects rather than sitting around all day play video games. The United States is lacking computer engineers, scientists, and other important types of people. That is why the United States is the 3rd most least educated country in the world.

And, I have noticed that most Nintendo DS homebrew programs are from the UN, such as James Garner's DS Game Maker. I was trying to be the first American to actually make a program that was useful for the Nintendo DS.

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
Since DSi homebrew development is an advanced (and new) feature right now, I guess it would make sense to put it in your PRO edition to encourage business. Be careful, however, to ask money for your program unless it is excellent quality though. I paid for DS Game Maker and don't regret my purchase one bit and your software needs to be incredible to best it. I wish you all the best, though, as this community is pretty tough to sell stuff to.
tongue.gif

RoyalCardMan

DS App Studio™ Developer
OP
Trophies
Website
www.awsomisoft.com
XP
Country
United States
Yes, I agree with you.

The thing is, I have implemented functionality into DS App Studio that DS Game Maker cannot do, such as viewing files within directories on the Nintendo DS and I am also adding 3D functionality as well(which is pretty close to being done).

James Garner and I have agreed that our purposes are different, but we are going in the same direction of wanting people to learn how to make Nintendo DS homebrew without having to start from the top on C++. We want people to be able to start from the bottom and go step-by-step to the very top. Those are our goals.

James Garner and I have also agreed that this would not be a financial war. Our purposes are not for the money, but for the happiness of being able to help out in our community and to let people learn about how all these wonderful technologies work.

Edit: DS Game Maker has its good corners, but it is only meant for making Nintendo DS game homebrew. My goal was to allow people to make applications for the Nintendo DS, like make a text editor for the Nintendo DS.

And, yes Nintendo DSi application and game development with DS App Studio will be good quality. You will be able to actually take pictures of things and then it will be displayed on the screen.

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
Discover said:
You are the developer, not us!
What is with all these scams. Paying for the development of homebrew?
I don't think so.
I think, RoyalCardMan, by looking at the general nature of responses here, that the community has a certain trepidation of commercial endeavors. They probably think you're a greedy charlatan who aims to be the next Bill Gates.

I don't think that. For instance, suppose James Garner was getting $12 from every member on DSGM's forums (a very generous estimate), that would be about $6000/year or $2.88/hr*. Not exactly Bill Gates money by any extent of the imagination, and what you're making has to be far less. I believe, more likely, that since you put a lot of time into your software, that you just feel entitled to a little financial relief. Nothing wrong with that. People out there make money with far more nefarious methods while giving more dubious contributions to society. And its not like you have a gun to their head to make a purchase, they can use the free edition or simply use different software altogether.

Now, you could be as bad as everyone makes you out to be, I just wanted to make a contrarian post to make things a little less one-sided.
grog.gif

* Garner's generous gross income estimate: ((~1000membersX$12)/2yrs/2080hrs)=$2.88/hr (given 40hr work week over two years)

BassAceGold

Testicles
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
How you market the product will determine how great it actually is. James from DSGM used to (it probably happens to some extent still) restrict code that was freely available in the library it uses and used said code as a marketing ploy to entice users to buy the pro version, thus indirectly selling free code that he didn't even write. Instead what he should have (or should be) doing is adding advanced features to the interface itself only available to the pro version.

If you happen to go on the first path, then I would be extremely against this program. If you happened to follow the second marketing choice, I wouldn't mind so much as you would be indeed selling your own work and not the work of others and may even recommend it over DSGM if it happens to be updated regularly and promotes open and clean code; Unlike DSGM which happens to be moving towards a more closed environment and outputs unreadable code.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1