DS #4973: Puzzle Quest 2 (USA)

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Miser said:
What I don't get are the intros. What do they contribute to the release? Is it just an ego thing, wanting to leave their mark?

Why do people even go to the trouble of getting games and releasing them in the first place? It's the spirit of competition. Any scene is about getting the most anticipated games earliest, notching up the most releases, cracking the hardest protections and coding the most technically impressive intros. You benefit from that spirit of competition in getting the dumps and protection cracks, if you don't like what comes with it then buy the games and dump/crack them yourselves.

Miser

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
BlueStar said:
Why do people even go to the trouble of getting games and releasing them in the first place? It's the spirit of competition. Any scene is about getting the most anticipated games earliest, notching up the most releases, cracking the hardest protections and coding the most technically impressive intros. You benefit from that spirit of competition in getting the dumps and protection cracks, if you don't like what comes with it then buy the games and dump/crack them yourselves.
And what's wrong with releasing them separate, like they do in the PC scene?

ShinRyouma

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
I like this game, and I think this is better than the 1st one (more like RPG)
smile.gif

Kringler

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm having a weird issue with this ROM. The game will run fine the first time (when you make a save game) but after I quit and move through my other ROMS (the second it goes over Puzzle Quest 2) my DS freezes up (And it will show the title of the last ROM I was looking at instead of PQ2). If I delete the save file (It's 0 KB and I have 150 MB left) it will work fine again and still have all the progress I had when I saved (even though the saves gone). I'm using R4YSauto.

Leamonde.Halcyon

6x9=42
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Donato_Dobango said:
I don't think it's ugly at all. Just more of an anime-inspired art style than the first game. The GUI is less cluttered and the close ups of the overworld means you are just walking through a dozen similar looking sprites that represent new castles.

So far the game itself seems a little easy, something I hope is fixed once I get past level 10.

It has a HARD mode the default is set to medium difficulty. Check the options on the main menu after you load your character and before you choose quest.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Miser said:
BlueStar said:
And what's wrong with releasing them separate, like they do in the PC scene?

The PC scene is a different animal because of the update patches released for games - it's never been done like that in the handheld scene. The closest any group has come is Capital when they started packing intro removers with their GBC ROMs, mostly to nix the people who'd been credit-whoring by releasing their own removers after every release.

Here's the cracktro converted to flash if you want to watch it on its own
nyanya.gif

http://flashtro.com/page.php?id=2424

ConJ

The Toker
Trophies
Website
xat.com
XP
Country
BlueStar said:
doyama said:
Well I hope someone releases a clean version of this soon. I really dislike the cracktro stuff. You'd think with all the fuss that came with Dementium2 that they'd avoid doing it again?

You act like cracktros are a new thing. It's releasing games uncracked, nonworking and with no cracktro which is a recent thing. Ideally, all games would be properly released with a cracktro, but Venom is one of the few remaining real scene groups working on the DS from the GBC/GBA days.

Off topic, but yep, cracktros are certainly not a new thing. I used to get Commodore Amiga games back in the day, and every game had a cracktro. It was/is part of the scene.

There were some awesome cracktros.

Miser

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
BlueStar said:
The PC scene is a different animal because of the update patches released for games - it's never been done like that in the handheld scene. The closest any group has come is Capital when they started packing intro removers with their GBC ROMs, mostly to nix the people who'd been credit-whoring by releasing their own removers after every release.

nyanya.gif

Never? All the NDS scene had was clean dumps until recently.

I did see the intro already, it's ok. I do like looking at them, but I don't want an additional intro screen I have to skip everytime I launch a game and the tampering with the rom in general. In the end it'll just cause problems. Try to play some introed GBA games on the EZ 3in1 for example and you'll see that they don't work, when clean dumps do. That's why it should be released SEPARATE. Not that they ever will because they're too cool to do compromises.

And yes, I did play Amiga when I was a kid and I remember some of the cracktros. It was part of the scene, true.

Pong20302000

making notes on everything
Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country
Miser said:
BlueStar said:

nyanya.gif

Never? All the NDS scene had was clean dumps until recently.

I did see the intro already, it's ok. I do like looking at them, but I don't want an additional intro screen I have to skip everytime I launch a game and the tampering with the rom in general. In the end it'll just cause problems. Try to play some introed GBA games on the EZ 3in1 for example and you'll see that they don't work, when clean dumps do. That's why it should be released SEPARATE. Not that they ever will because they're too cool to do compromises.

And yes, I did play Amiga when I was a kid and I remember some of the cracktros. It was part of the scene, true.

if you dont like the intros pay for the games

clean releases always get posted eventually

latestmonkey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hey guys, noob here.

i'm pretty new to this stuff, running it on an AK2i.

The skull counter doesn't update for me during battles. Is this borked for anyone else? Or is there something with my character that I'm completely missing?

mixinluv2u

Trophies
Website
www.glowsticking.com
XP
Country
United States
latestmonkey said:
hey guys, noob here.

The skull counter doesn't update for me during battles. Is this borked for anyone else? Or is there something with my character that I'm completely missing?
if you are referring to the skull with a number next to it on the top screen, that's not a counter. it just indicates how much extra damage you will do when you match skulls.

Ruri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BlueStar said:

nyanya.gif

Yes, but...

The DS scene doesn't use intros, generally. Traditionally, in the DS handheld scene, releases are clean and non-clean releases eventually get nuked. Groups trying to get fame by adding intros are defeating themselves in the long run, because it's just going to get nuked in favor of an accurate release once one is available -- given the option, nobody wants to archive a non-clean version that may or may not work with future hardware. Also, saving altered versions of the images in the set results in horrible things like what happened to the NES scene, where you have like five or six copies of some roms, most of them bad in one way or another, just because the GoodNES set contains them all.

That's why the NDS scene traditionally nukes unclean dumps as soon as a clean one becomes available.

(Also, as others have pointed out, just as a matter of terminology -- this isn't a cractro, since the game didn't have any AP.)

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Nuked where? On actual scene sites or just called nuked on websites like gbatemp and ds-scene? Because if the sites are following the Nintendo DS Release Standards, it's the clean, non-working releases which get nuked.

Some people are make the assumption that release groups are releasing the games for your benefit. They're not.

KidIce

Smart Ass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TrolleyDave said:
I can remember the C64/Atari ST/Amiga days when if it didn't have a crack and an intro it was nuked and the entire scene made fun of the release group. lol

That's because a release w/o a cracktro usually was Isepic'ed/AR'ed/FC'ed/etc. "One filing" a game w/ a freezer cartridge does not make you a cracker by any stretch of the imagination. Lamers that thought so deserved to be ridiculed.

And Atari ST's were broken Amiga's. :-P

I don't really care to have cracktro's on my handhelds, though. I mean, I'm mashing the buttons trying to get past the effin' credits. Made by... Published by... Codec by... Health warning... GOD I only have 15 minutes on my smoke break, can I start the damn game already?!? I don't really need another screen in my way.

Go ahead and release w/ a crack and/or cracktro, but please include a patch for me to get rid of it (or better a patch for me to add them should I desire). Especially, as Mbmax pointed out, now that The SCDS2, EZVi and so on are adding methods to defeat the usual copy protection (I'm old school, I refuse to call it AP or DRM) for DS games w/o the usual patches. If they perfect this, cracks will not be needed.

I don't mind cracktros on a system I only play at home though, I have more time when I'm there and I love the demo scene. ;-)

latestmonkey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mixinluv2u said:
latestmonkey said:
hey guys, noob here.

if you are referring to the skull with a number next to it on the top screen, that's not a counter. it just indicates how much extra damage you will do when you match skulls.

ohhh duh. i'm an idiot. I thought it was a counter so I would know when I had enough skulls to use my weapon. (So, uh.. where exactly is the counter so I know if I have enough skulls to use my weapon?)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'm devastated