DS #4698: Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth (Europe)

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Those poor poor Dutch players, now they have to wait for a bad fan translation as a bad official one won't be happening soon.

nIxx

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hadrian said:
Those poor poor Dutch players, now they have to wait for a bad fan translation as a bad official one won't be happening soon.

Hehe dunno for sure but i´m pretty sure there will be a extra German release soon. If not then not
smile.gif

markvn

Trophies
Website
homebrewds.websitemaker.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hoverlord Nadrian said:
markvn said:
Hadrian said:

By this, who's gonna translate it to Dutch?
BTW, this game is fantastic!
I might translate it if I have some spare time
tongue.gif
English to Dutch is easy.

Well, that would be great!
yay.gif

beefkeek

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
You do realize that the previous AA games where in English as well though? The Dutch versions where never in the Dutch language. I already got my import.

Still a stupid action to not release a game here, to punish the people already pirating the US version but oh well, it's their money.

Sumea

Disco Ninja Frog
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I think this is identical to US version, as unlike others, there does not seem to be multiple languages.

Also, my US save works straight away with this version too...
It is great game tho, and good to be released in EU this fast.

Master Mo

F.R.E.E.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I thought, just like the other Ace Attorney games, that these would be translated for the European countries... Not that it is a problem to play it in english put it would have still been nice to play it in my native language.

miruki

Trophies
Website
geekouts.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Master Mo said:
I thought, just like the other Ace Attorney games, that these would be translated for the European countries... Not that it is a problem to play it in english put it would have still been nice to play it in my native language.
I don't think they sold too well over here, so no German for us... which I don't mind since I prefer English anyways.

kernelPANIC

Trophies
Website
www.kanjiswipe.com
XP
Country
Japan
Master Mo said:
Well, sadly it's not going to happen due to poor sales of previous Phoenix Wright titles in the European region, particularly PW3.
Quote taken from Court-records.net

QUOTE(Wooster @ February 18th, 2010)Sales were very disappointing for an accumulation of many reasons.

* Buzz

With the advent of the internet, what's buzzing in America, is the topic of European websites, and the reverse is also true. With America having it's title at least a year in advance, a lot of Europe's excitement when the release finally hit had died. It just wasn't as exciting getting a game that was last year's news, regardless if they never got it in the first place.

* Importing

With the incredibly long wait, and Europe's famously multilingual populous, a lot of fans decided to import either the Japanese version with both Japanese and English, or the American version with a more polished English translation for the region free Nintendo DS. While this made a ton of sense for fans who weren't sure their game was even going to be release in their home nation. It had the back firing side effect that people who bought the game in America, wouldn't turn around and also buy the title in Europe. Thus what might've been European sales figures turned into American sales figures.

What does Capcom see in response? Europe doesn't like Ace Attorney like America does. Yes, they obviously know that European imports are a factor in American sales, Sven said as much. However, there's nothing that tells them that those same Europeans won't just import the next title too.

Yes, some fans do turn around and purchase both the import and their native version, and we salute you a thousand times, but they're in the minority.

To make an example of myself, my copy of Justice for All is the Japanese version. I never did buy an American copy. In consequence, my purchase shows up in Japanese sales figures and doesn't help the states.

* Piracy

This is the big one, and the subject of today's article. 300 retail copies is a dismal amount. I hardly believe the profit could cover the costs marketing and production, never mind a quality localization. With everyone playing the game on their flash carts and emulators the hard working people at Capcom don't get any credit for their hard work bring the game to you and doing a quality job translating it.

Pirates, thanks for your years of cheating your way into a quality product so all of Europe gets to suffer for the current release.

With all those factors in place at once, Trials and Tribulation's sales were beyond bad in Europe. Capcom saw those numbers and somewhat justifiably decided that if the series were to remain profitable in Europe then they can't bother to waste time and money translating if all of Europe is just going to play the game in English anyways. With the additional localizations out of the way, Capcom was able to fulfill Europe's other popular request for the series and bring the release window with America down from what was generally months, to mere days.

ECJanga

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
kernelPANIC said:
Master Mo said:
Well, sadly it's not going to happen due to poor sales of previous Phoenix Wright titles in the European region, particularly PW3.
Quote taken from Court-records.net

QUOTE(Wooster @ February 18th, 2010)Sales were very disappointing for an accumulation of many reasons.

* Buzz

With the advent of the internet, what's buzzing in America, is the topic of European websites, and the reverse is also true. With America having it's title at least a year in advance, a lot of Europe's excitement when the release finally hit had died. It just wasn't as exciting getting a game that was last year's news, regardless if they never got it in the first place.

* Importing

With the incredibly long wait, and Europe's famously multilingual populous, a lot of fans decided to import either the Japanese version with both Japanese and English, or the American version with a more polished English translation for the region free Nintendo DS. While this made a ton of sense for fans who weren't sure their game was even going to be release in their home nation. It had the back firing side effect that people who bought the game in America, wouldn't turn around and also buy the title in Europe. Thus what might've been European sales figures turned into American sales figures.

What does Capcom see in response? Europe doesn't like Ace Attorney like America does. Yes, they obviously know that European imports are a factor in American sales, Sven said as much. However, there's nothing that tells them that those same Europeans won't just import the next title too.

Yes, some fans do turn around and purchase both the import and their native version, and we salute you a thousand times, but they're in the minority.

To make an example of myself, my copy of Justice for All is the Japanese version. I never did buy an American copy. In consequence, my purchase shows up in Japanese sales figures and doesn't help the states.

* Piracy

This is the big one, and the subject of today's article. 300 retail copies is a dismal amount. I hardly believe the profit could cover the costs marketing and production, never mind a quality localization. With everyone playing the game on their flash carts and emulators the hard working people at Capcom don't get any credit for their hard work bring the game to you and doing a quality job translating it.

Pirates, thanks for your years of cheating your way into a quality product so all of Europe gets to suffer for the current release.

With all those factors in place at once, Trials and Tribulation's sales were beyond bad in Europe. Capcom saw those numbers and somewhat justifiably decided that if the series were to remain profitable in Europe then they can't bother to waste time and money translating if all of Europe is just going to play the game in English anyways. With the additional localizations out of the way, Capcom was able to fulfill Europe's other popular request for the series and bring the release window with America down from what was generally months, to mere days.

Well, what do you expect? The Ace Attorney serie is already quite a niche serie. The European version was released an entire YEAR later. People that really wanted the game could have imported from the US. Especially Dutch people, 'cause they ain't gonna play the French/German/Italian/Spanish version anyway.

This time however, AAI is released just a few days after the US launch. So they should have tried again.

miruki

Trophies
Website
geekouts.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Gambia, The
ECJanga said:
This time however, AAI is released just a few days after the US launch. So they should have tried again.
And why do you think it only was a few days later? Right, no Italian/French/German/Spanish/Dutch translation was needed which would have taken more than a few weeks. Europe has too many language which makes localising games here.... complicated. I think they should stick with releasing all games in English....

Master Mo

F.R.E.E.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
[Truth said:
]
pw should be played in english anyway.
the german localization lacks a lot of charme and wordplay (same goes for mario & luigi RPGs).
That`s definitely true!!! But still it is a little easier in ones native language because sometimes it was a little hard to spot contradictions... But normally it is no problem to play it in english.

Sanderino

I guess you only know what you got 'till it's gone
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Jeff88 said:
crook said:
I hope Capcom goes bankrupt. If they think they can ignore the German and other european markets, they shall fuck off.

Tough words coming from a pirate.

Haha yeah, I don't see the point in hoping Capcom goes bankrupt. i ahve an R4 so I don't care it comesi n the Netherlands

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work