DS #4484: Fighting Fantasy: The Warlock of Firetop Mountain (USA)

alidsl

I am now a lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
Overlord Nadrian said:
alidsl said:
danny600kill said:
Can't w8 to give it a test drive
biggrin.gif

Not up on my usual, cant find it on a quick google search, al just have to w8

Edit : wow the moment i typed i reloaded my usual site and BAM it was there. DLin now

Same
laugh.gif
I see which ROMsites you use...
ph34r.gif

smileipb2.png

It's the same as mine!
biggrin.gif
Although I use more than one, actually
ohmy.gif

I think everyone uses one of two sites

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have to say, the reviews so far for this game are way off, in my opinion. It certainly is very old school, but it's also pretty damn fun. It can get tiring having to move in and out in order to whack enemies and then evade, but the battle system is enjoyable. I chose to assign my own stats and make my character kind of a half melee/half magic user (rogue), and I'm happy so far. It's pretty slow going, though. Don't expect to get too far too fast. The first ranged enemies you encounter are brutal, and repetition (grinding) is likely to be the game's greatest shortcoming. Still, it's kind of like Dark Spire but with a fun and engaging control system for your character. Not sure what the hell 1Up was talking about, as far as the controls are concerned. Everything works fine for me, and the stat and inventory systems are tight. Graphics are excellent, and the framerate is butta'. My only real complaint is that each time I load my save I have to reconfigure the controls for left-handed play.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Nice, I'll give it a try. Used to like the books on the 80s but never played the first one. Number 5, City of Thieves was my favourite.

Djay187

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
irpacynot said:
I have to say, the reviews so far for this game are way off, in my opinion. It certainly is very old school, but it's also pretty damn fun. It can get tiring having to move in and out in order to whack enemies and then evade, but the battle system is enjoyable. I chose to assign my own stats and make my character kind of a half melee/half magic user (rogue), and I'm happy so far. It's pretty slow going, though. Don't expect to get too far too fast. The first ranged enemies you encounter are brutal, and repetition (grinding) is likely to be the game's greatest shortcoming. Still, it's kind of like Dark Spire but with a fun and engaging control system for your character. Not sure what the hell 1Up was talking about, as far as the controls are concerned. Everything works fine for me, and the stat and inventory systems are tight. Graphics are excellent, and the framerate is butta'. My only real complaint is that each time I load my save I have to reconfigure the controls for left-handed play.
Have to say I agree with you, can't see what those reviewers were on about.
Edit - And yes it's a pain having to reconfigure for left-handed play.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
AW! Bummer! I ran out of space for writing info on the map. It told me to erase some stuff. So, if you write on the maps, be as sparing as you can with your strokes.

Just a little tip.

XWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
Spongeroberto said:
Hmm on r4 with ysmenu it just gives a black screen... anyone else had any success?

Odd. Works perfectly on my R4 (non clone) with YSmenu. It does go black for a couple of seconds but then works fine. You have the latest YSmenu?

QUOTE(Rayder @ Nov 30 2009, 11:25 PM) AW! Bummer! I ran out of space for writing info on the map. It told me to erase some stuff. So, if you write on the maps, be as sparing as you can with your strokes.

Just a little tip.
Save space or is there a space restriction in the game itself?

Donato_Dobango

Trophies
Website
www.fairuseradio.com
XP
Country
United States
It worked on my DSTT running the latest unofficial firmware.

The game is not for everyone and I definitely fall in that not for everyone category. When it comes to RPGs, I like the more tongue in cheek, Atlus published, Japanese fanboy fare of a Super Robot Taisen or My World My Way, so this being the complete opposite of that made it hard for me to get into. If you like old skool pen and paper RPGing, the original Fighting Fantasy books, or good and serious dungeon crawler, though, this is definitely for you.

XWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
Think of O&E as Hexxen and FFTWFM as Oblivion (well, maybe not that much of a gap but there ya go).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol