DS #4408: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Arcade Attack (USA)

Nekoblade

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
irpacynot said:
Man, I'm pretty forgiving when it comes to beat'em-ups, especially when they're free, but this game...well, it blows, to be perfectly honest. I wasn't expecting much in terms of variety, but it's a clunk-fest. Button mapping sucks, the turtles move at a snail's pace, and it's the most repetitive gameplay I've come across in a long while.

You're pretty forgiving when it comes to beat'em ups... which is one guy beating up another by mashing one or a combination of possibly two, buttons... and then complain about repetitive gameplay...

Personally I don't think you really know what you want in a video game, especially a beat'em up.

Back onto the topic at hand, just played through this today, it's not too bad. Very old school.

saxamo

Spaaaaace!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Like you have all mentioned, it's your standard beatem up. When I saw this out I got reminiscent of Turtles in time. Wouldn't THAT be a badass port to the DS?!

Donato_Dobango

Trophies
Website
www.fairuseradio.com
XP
Country
United States
Nekoblade said:
irpacynot said:
Man, I'm pretty forgiving when it comes to beat'em-ups, especially when they're free, but this game...well, it blows, to be perfectly honest. I wasn't expecting much in terms of variety, but it's a clunk-fest. Button mapping sucks, the turtles move at a snail's pace, and it's the most repetitive gameplay I've come across in a long while.

You're pretty forgiving when it comes to beat'em ups... which is one guy beating up another by mashing one or a combination of possibly two, buttons... and then complain about repetitive gameplay...

Personally I don't think you really know what you want in a video game, especially a beat'em up.

Back onto the topic at hand, just played through this today, it's not too bad. Very old school.

Not to speak for irpacynot or anything, but when I say I, personally, forgiving to beat'em-ups, what I mean is that I tend to enjoy them if they give me a few basic components: lots of enemies to punch in the face, a few different combos of ways I can punch said guys in the face, and controls that allow me to easily go from one face to punch to the next.

I played about 30 minutes of Arcade Attack to realize it doesn't really give you any of those three. The controls are not only poorly laid out, they seem unfinished. We have no real button cominations to do cool special attacks to speak up, something even Double Dragon managed to pull off over 20 years ago. The isometric view means you are constantly forced to hit up and right to move forward when a simple 2D interface would work. And the fact that enemies seem to give you a nice 30 seconds of free hit time before they even move let alone attack back, followed by the game actually slowing its own flow down to watch their death "animation" of simply falling to the ground means you can never get a good flow going. Combos seem to be counted simply by hitting without being hit as I managed to hit 60+ hits even with 30 second-to-a-minute long spaces in between attacks as I tried desperately to get my turtle to do something other than kick, weapon swing, and jump.

Another cash grab by Ubisoft, really. It's kind of sad to think how much more money they'd make if they just released a 2D side scroller like Turtles in Time featuring lots of unlockable side mutants like Ray Fillet or Mondo Gecko. Instead of wasting money in fake 3D and isometric cameras, they should invest in some loyal fanbase fan service and base the game mechanics on what worked in the past.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm going with irpacy. I mean, beamups are pretty standard, but this is boring. It does come down to the "one guy beating up another" concept, but it really depends on how you make it.

It's so boring. The combos aren't great, the team combos are so incredibly generic, and it's basically walk, beat up guys, walk, beat up guys. Nothing too it. Sure, that's the concept of most beamups, but this makes it just boring. It's hard to explain. I'm not a fan of it.

kosheh

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
I'm going with irpacy. I mean, beamups are pretty standard, but this is boring. It does come down to the "one guy beating up another" concept, but it really depends on how you make it.

It's so boring. The combos aren't great, the team combos are so incredibly generic, and it's basically walk, beat up guys, walk, beat up guys. Nothing too it. Sure, that's the concept of most beamups, but this makes it just boring. It's hard to explain. I'm not a fan of it.
ARGH
YES

THIS

Hell I've been playing this for half an hour and this isn't the Turtles I remember!
I mean, it's more like TMNT for the Game Boy Advance but even that was decent; it stuck to the beat 'em up formula and the juggling mechanic in that was a welcome addition. And...the animation was nice, too.
The music in Turtles in Time was great, the gameplay was simple yet enjoyable, and it didn't try to overcomplicate itself.
This game...well, you can see that it wasn't developed by the same team that did Re-Shelled [Singapore] - in fact, I think this was developed by Ubisoft Paris, famous for its line of Imagine titles. Even though this game had a fair amount of time the product just feels so rushed - hell, do the playtesters even enjoy playing these games anymore? Do playtesters even EXIST at Ubisoft Paris?
The game, as many others have said, crawls at a turtle's pace, and the animations are so static, that it doesn't even look good. It doesn't feel good. And the music's all dark. Why can't all the ingame music be like the title screen's? Or even Smash-Up's? ;_;

And what is this with the CPU second player? I'm fine fighting off these mobs of enemies myself, thanks.
Or do the playtesters really find a Turtles game that difficult?

Man, you're better off just booting up an SNES emulator on your DS with Turtles in Time. This is just...a dissapointment. Way to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the Turtles: With crappy games :/

spoilers: TMNT is the new Sonic

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kosheh said:
Guild McCommunist said:

ARGH
YES

THIS

Hell I've been playing this for half an hour and this isn't the Turtles I remember!
I mean, it's more like TMNT for the Game Boy Advance but even that was decent; it stuck to the beat 'em up formula and the juggling mechanic in that was a welcome addition. And...the animation was nice, too.
The music in Turtles in Time was great, the gameplay was simple yet enjoyable, and it didn't try to overcomplicate itself.
This game...well, you can see that it wasn't developed by the same team that did Re-Shelled [Singapore] - in fact, I think this was developed by Ubisoft Paris, famous for its line of Imagine titles. Even though this game had a fair amount of time the product just feels so rushed - hell, do the playtesters even enjoy playing these games anymore? Do playtesters even EXIST at Ubisoft Paris?
The game, as many others have said, crawls at a turtle's pace, and the animations are so static, that it doesn't even look good. It doesn't feel good. And the music's all dark. Why can't all the ingame music be like the title screen's? Or even Smash-Up's? ;_;

And what is this with the CPU second player? I'm fine fighting off these mobs of enemies myself, thanks.
Or do the playtesters really find a Turtles game that difficult?

Man, you're better off just booting up an SNES emulator on your DS with Turtles in Time. This is just...a dissapointment. Way to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the Turtles: With crappy games :/

spoilers: TMNT is the new Sonic

It seems TMNT went to the shitter when they made that terrible live action movie or whatever. They had the movie game for that (which was terrible) and ever since the Turtles might as well be turtle soup.

As for Sonic, ever since Sega dropped out of the console market, he's been having bad days. There's been a few good Sonic games here and there, like Sonic Rush for the DS (although I thought Adventure was just fucking awful). Who knows what Project Needlemouse will bring, though.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nekoblade said:
irpacynot said:

I give you props for cleverly veiling your insult, but my opinion still stands. I do agree, though -- it is very old school. Unfortunately, it's not old school I care to remember or revisit. Further, you are right in saying that I don't know what I want in a video game, but I know it when I see it. This ain't it. Generally speaking, I don't go into a game with preconceived notions about what it should be or what I want from it. I go into each game hoping to have fun. I don't know jack shit about how to make a video game, but I can tell you whether or not I'm having fun with it.

I don't know about you, but when I meet a girl, I don't tell myself, she has to have big tits, white teeth and a nice ass. I merely get to know her, and if we click, great. If not, adios, baby!
wink.gif

digitui

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
wow this is garbage. talk about a let down. why is it so hard for companies to make a decent beat em up these days? 15-20 year old games like final fight, sor2, turtles arcade all have better gameplay than any 'next gen' beat em up.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I must agree that this game isn't really that good. The way the Characters fight and the Storyline seems disorganized. It's just Enemies after another, enemies after another, there's nothing interesting about this game.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll reformat and have a 3tb raid0 m. 2 at least
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lmao that sold out fast
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeet the cat.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Good idea
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i thought everybody knew cocktails are like 75% ice
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah but not like this.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not like they're complaining that their Slurpee is 99% ice or something, but if the cocktail calls for "shot of vodka, shot of vermouth, shot of gin, shot of Campari, three shots of juice, squirt of lemon" and ends up being a thimbleful of booze, that's a problem.
    the funny thing is cocktails in norway are only allowed to have 1 20ml shot of booze
    so..... yeah
    we're used to only having a thimbleful of booze
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Booo.
    same thing if you want whisky on the rocks or something, you can't get a double
    but you could buy as many shots of whisky (or anything else) as you want and ask for a glass of ice and pour them in
    it's dumb
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Maybe.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There was a comparison of the number of Ibuprofen poisonings before and after they limited the maximum dosage per box or per pill (i'll look that up). No limit on the number of boxes you can still buy as many as you want, so people argued it was pointless.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But the number of (accidental) poisonings dropped because drinking an entire package of ibuprofen pills went from "I need a new liver" to "I need a new box of Ibuprofen".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages, but then they halved the dose per pill and sell them in bottles of six pills apiece instead of twenty and it doesn't need a prescription any more. Yes you can buy more than one bottle but people simply don't.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Usually accidentally overdose of ibuprofen here is from people taking like cold medicine then ibuprofen for a headache and the combination is over what they need
    Veho @ Veho: https://imgur.com/gallery/QQkYnQu