DS #3591: Don King Boxing (Europe)

haxxzor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
yay, first comment.. this any good on the DS?
biggrin.gif

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Graphics are really good for a DS game. Too bad it doesn't really show any damage to the opponents face though.

I just wish it would let you use the buttons to swing though. Depending on whether you are left or right handed, you use the d-pad or buttons only to move around and the L or R buttons to block.

The ring announcer talks a lot, but in between round speech is just text.

It does have a tutorial to teach you how to play, so that's good.

Still, it's MUCH better than that other boxing game that came out a while back.....MUCH better.

Heh, I like the filename....b-donking.......sounds like badonking.....
laugh.gif

Kreatur84

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
dawn.wan said:
Is this better than the Hajime no Ippo DS game that came out awhile back?
i think Hajime no Ippo DS is better than this one.
i played it very short,found it not so good

Rayder

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, when I said it was better than that other boxing game, I meant the Showtime one, not Hajime no Ippo DS.

The ONLY thing that makes me like this better than Hajime no Ippo DS is the fact that it's all in English (well, multi5, but you get my meaning). I think this and Hajime no Ippo DS are actually kinda equal when it comes to the fighting.....haven't really played either very extensively yet to make an informed opinion.

Rayder

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, it IS difficult. I destroyed the dude in exhibition mode, but as soon as I went to Career mode, I couldn't win to save my life. The first guys you fight have higher stats than you, even after applying the 10 bonus points to your stats.

crook

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
it's way better then the ippo game. the graphic is better and the music is better and the career mode is better and the minigames are better and the boxing is better and the moving in the ring is better.

if you have problems beating the opponent you have to block his hits till his blue bar is empty and then hit em with combinations and repeat that.

Rayder

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I finally beat some dudes. Took me about 20 fights in Career mode though before I did. This game has a HUGE learning curve, you won't just walk through this game. When you swing at the opponents, you have to end the stylus stroke ON their body or face to actually connect. I've found that it's best to start with a couple jabs to break up the opponents swings, then go into the various combos. The key is to build up your combo meter and then you will get dots and arrows to follow on the screen to deal some nasty damage in what they call a super-combo mode. The opponent will just stand there when the super combo mode happens, but if you screw up the super combo maneuvers, he'll be all over you. You practically need E.S.P. to dodge some of these boxer's punches though. Some of them are pretty quick.

Final verdict? This is a VERY good game. Very challenging. The boxers in it are all based on REAL boxers......at least the names are some I recognize as actual boxers.

I didn't care for the very urban sounding opening music, but when you pick career mode, it plays the Eye of the Tiger tune, with full voice and everything. You WILL get tired of hearing it very quickly though. You can turn it off.

This is the first game in a long time where I had both
hate2.gif
and
yaynds.gif
feelings as I played it, simply because it's so hard. I guess that just makes winning all the more satisfying. Still, through it all, all day yesterday I was
gba.gif
until my battery died at like 4AM. I think that is a mark of a truly good game. I haven't done that since the first Puzzle Quest.

I've been wanting a Punch-Out for the DS since the DS was first launched. While this still isn't exactly Punch-Out, it does satisfy my craving for some good boxing action on the DS.

I can only see one thing missing in this game. Clinching.....you know, when the boxers are tired and kinda huddle against each other? Yeah, there's none of that in this game. But you know, I'm not into hugging sweaty guys anyway, so I don't miss it.

I hafta say, this is my current favorite game on the DS.

Now I have to play some Hagime No Ippo to see how that is......I do have it patched for English on my DS, just never got around to playing it.
rolleyes.gif

concealed identi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Wow, are you guys playing the same game as me?

I burned through the first five boxers I fought with very little challenge apart from the controls, which I thought were pretty unresponsive on the technical level and unintuitive on the design level. Maybe it gets harder later, but I'm surprised to hear how difficult it was for some people.

Based on what I played (which wasn't very much, maybe an hour overall), I think it's pretty mediocre.

Neon_Abyss

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
dawn.wan said:
Is this better than the Hajime no Ippo DS game that came out awhile back?

Ippo has horrible non-visceral controls. It's cute, but between that and the fact that even with the translation its totally unreadable and unintelligible, I think Don King wins. There really needs to be some translation work done on Ippo since the one I tried it seemed like it would have been better translated if the other "10%" was done rather than the "90%" Since it seems like he spent all his time on translating the script and nothing to translate most of the controls and menus beyond the slowly scrolling help text.

I just find Ippo to be a button masher, rather than having any real feeling, but I like the damage system of having eyes welled shut. Also I don't know if the people who said Ippo is like punch out ever played punch out.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm...well, I gave it a whirl, but I couldn't get into it. The controls make sense and are mapped nicely, but the actual fights seemed pretty sluggish in terms of moving my boxer. The framerate was pretty poor, too.

Ah well, I'm not the biggest boxing fan, anyway. Animal Boxing is still good enough for me.
biggrin.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-