DS #2673: Dragon Quest IV (USA)

SargeSmash

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, dib, methinks you don't like this game much.

While I will concede that you have some valid points (there has always been some grinding in Dragon Quest games), I would not say that most of what you mention are dealbreakers. And nothing wrong with Final Fantasy 3? I assume you're talking the NES version (which I rate very highly). That game has so much in common with Dragon Warrior / Quest IV that it's not even funny. It should be pointed out that level progression and money earning in this version of Dragon Quest IV is much quicker than in the original NES version, and that the remake of Final Fantasy 3 requires a LOT of grinding to stay alive. And the strategies are no more nuanced than this game.

Quicksaves are now possible. Don't use 'em, mainly because I'm used to the old version. And from what I understand, they don't get removed on load.

Spelling out accents is just fine. I thought it was interesting to add a bit of flavor to the script.

And why is a chocobo any better than the Dragon Quest slime? What are the FF series' defining elements?

I very much agree that Chrono Trigger is the best of its era. It is STILL my favorite RPG of all time. But Dragon Quest IV (and DQIII and FF3) represent the best of the NES era as well. The remake of FF3 looks better than this remake, but both share the common fact that they retain the flaws of the originals. Neither are unplayable, and in fact, both games represent excellent old-school RPG gaming for the DS. And both games are a good deal better than what can be obtained on the PSP.

Anyway, if it's not your cup of tea, that's fine. If everyone liked the same stuff, it'd be a really boring world.

SkyintheSea

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you fucking kidding me? Dragon Quest IV maybe not the best in the series, but it does have a well written story and awesome gameplay for those who love RPG's. The only thing I didn't like in this DQ was the fact that you couldn't play as your character throughout the beginning and you had to play the game in chapters with your ally characters like building up a story into a climax. Most DQ games does not do this, although IMO DQ 5 is A LOT better than this one, sadly it's only in Japanese right now so just wait for it and maybe they might remake DQ 6 (my favorite one!) to the DS one day.

Whoever is looking for a GREAT DQ game, google Dragon Quest 6 Translation. You won't be disappointed, the story is amazing and there are a lot of side quest and quest available with a very good story.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you want an idea on how good this game is, I never played the original NES game before this. I was born in the SNES era. But I later backtracked to the 8-bit games to see what I was missing. Even though I was spoiled by 16 and 32 bit graphics/stories, I still love and appreciate DQ4 and all the other 8-bit games.

This is one helluva remake! Had a go with the Japanese version, but will try out the US version soon.
yaynds.gif

Can anyone confirm if there is any difference between this and the Europe version?

knl

I can change this?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
Supert5 said:
Buddy have you played the remake? I wouldn't start running your mouth until you did.
1. YOU can change the text speed
2. YOU can do quick save anywhere at anytime.
3. YOU can organize your items quickly and easily (easy sort options)
4. YOU can finish the game under 10-15 hours (I am on chapter 3 and game time is 3 1/2 hours)

For anyone who wants to enjoy a fun adventure, I completely suggest picking it up.

just a thing, the text speed you are thinking you can change is specifically the battle text speed, and nothing else.
also I really love the graphics and the whole accents thing, it gives the game a feel of autenthicity. after all, in a big world, not everyone can possibly speak the same language with the same naturality...

HeatMan Advance

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BlueStar said:
HeatMan Advance said:
It's an exact copy of the Euro translation. They still spell the words with a "u" where it isn't necessary.

Well the characters are speaking in English dialects, so the 'u' in colour isn't exactly superfluous seeing as they're trying to give local flavours to the characters. I can understand the dialogue perfectly in the starting towns, although that might come from living near Scotland
tongue.gif

The dialog isn't really a problem to me, I was just pointing out that this is a direct copy of the Euro version since even U.S. versions of games with European characters will still spell everything that American standard even when having characters using accents.

QUOTE(granville @ Sep 17 2008, 01:41 PM)
If you want an idea on how good this game is, I never played the original NES game before this. I was born in the SNES era. But I later backtracked to the 8-bit games to see what I was missing. Even though I was spoiled by 16 and 32 bit graphics/stories, I still love and appreciate DQ4 and all the other 8-bit games.

This is one helluva remake! Had a go with the Japanese version, but will try out the US version soon.
yaynds.gif

Can anyone confirm if there is any difference between this and the Europe version?

I just did. Right down to the text and options. It's just the Euro version in a U.S. package. Try a Euro save and see.

Supert5

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
knl said:
Supert5 said:
Buddy have you played the remake? I wouldn't start running your mouth until you did.
1. YOU can change the text speed
2. YOU can do quick save anywhere at anytime.
3. YOU can organize your items quickly and easily (easy sort options)
4. YOU can finish the game under 10-15 hours (I am on chapter 3 and game time is 3 1/2 hours)

For anyone who wants to enjoy a fun adventure, I completely suggest picking it up.

just a thing, the text speed you are thinking you can change is specifically the battle text speed, and nothing else.
also I really love the graphics and the whole accents thing, it gives the game a feel of autenthicity. after all, in a big world, not everyone can possibly speak the same language with the same naturality...

*Knods head*
Thanks for correction! Only battle speed text can be changed.

SargeSmash

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So yeah, just picked this up legit over lunch. Apparently the European save works with the US version, just from a quick test in emulators. Anyone know if eepinator will work to transfer this to the retail cart without screwing anything up? I highly doubt that there will be issues, but I'm not in a position to try it out yet.

I was actually quite happy that the Euro version of the game was dumped when it was, my 360 went belly-up last week, in the midst of my playing Infinite Undiscovery.

And something I forgot to mention in my last post, there's FAR more character development and story in this game, even if it can be rather trite, than the aforementioned Final Fantasy 3. That game's story is pretty much non-existent. Doesn't make it a bad game by any stretch of the imagination, though.
smile.gif

One more thing (I promise!): If you have the cash, pick this up! Especially if you like it. I've tried to do that to the best of my abilities, and not let the ease of flashcarts keep me from getting good stuff, like I let happen in the GBA days (and those beforehand with emulation). I completely understand if you don't have the money. I don't always myself. But do what you can.
smile.gif

SargeSmash

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh yeah, SkyintheSea is right. Dragon Quest VI is absolutely incredible. There's no question in my mind that it rivals the best of the SNES era. It's not quite Chrono Trigger, but I consider it to be up there with Final Fantasy 3/6 and Lufia 2, and that's good company to be in.

I'm pretty sure they're planning on bringing over Dragon Quest V and VI for DS. The ad campaign implies that. Of course, this happened before with the PSX version of DQIV, and we didn't get that at all. So we shall see.

dipper145

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If you find fun in the same reptitive jrpg games you've played over and over for a long time, this is a game for you.

(I think its pretty good, but I really don't like jrpgs that much, so I dont play them often, only the big titles, and I know DQ is huge in japan, so I wanted to see what its all about, so its not that reptitive to me since I dont play similar games all the time.)

SargeSmash

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Awesome to hear. Now if I can get it on the legit cart, I'm good to go. I really don't want to give up my progress to this point.

Tyralyon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I'm not gonna post too much of an reply to dib, as other people already have proven his stupidity, but I wanted to add a couple of things.

First of all, that was in no ways a review. He never said he thought this or that, he presented his words as facts, which I find quite ignorant.

To have a go at the story is quite ridiculous, as the DQ games in many ways are more complex and original than the afore-mentioned FF games.

And yes, you have to grind and work to get anywhere. Maybe you're too young, or possibly just lazy, but back in the days games actually took an effort to complete...

three14

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From what I can tell there appears to be a bug/anti-piracy addition to the EUR/USA release affecting the R4 (and possibly others). The issue happens when I am in Zenithia. The hole in the clouds never appears to allow me access Nadiria (sort of like DQ5 JPN's "Ship of Death"). I have completed the Japanese release multiple times so I don't think I am missing anything. My original post is here:

http://www.ds-scene.net/?s=viewtopic&nid=6117&p=2#12

If anyone has any pertinent info regarding this 'issue', please feel free to comment.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://wccftech-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/wccftech.com/amd-800-series-am5-motherboards-launch-r...