DS #2614: Commando Steel Disaster (USA)

unduthegun

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Haven't noticed any slowdows using the cycloDS.

As for the 8 direction just noticed it, mainly because it does not have transition when shooting right then up, this console uses a dpad, it's not an arcade cabinet...

And the no continue option just makes me laugh, they had plenty of time to play test the game and still didn't squash obvious design mistakes.

Curley5959

CCC Member!
Trophies
Website
www.holidaygamerz.zoomshare.com
XP
Country
Havent tried it out yet, Its on my flashy but by the sounds of it I dont particularly want to be trying it out..
biggrin.gif

kaspal

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Colombia
i gave it a go last night, and managed to get to stage 3, after a few tries...

1) yeah, its true theres no 8-way shooting with the default weapon, but with the missile and the machine gun you can do it (im not so sure if you can do it with the one that throw the mines like shots).

2) the lack of a continue function is annoying.. thats for sure, sometimes you make it far into a level, just to get owned for some crappy mistake, sometimes you just dont make it that far... anyways, whatever the case is, you need to restart the whole level... WTF is that?

3) after you beat a level, you can remap your controls, save the game and shit... well, the control remapping function is crap (its lost after you reload the game, or so it happened to me), and you cant remap to every control you want (you're limited in that scenario)... and, there appear to be a shitload of secrets per level (i managed to get a 60% level completition on the 1st level... and i discovered a few items... but theres no obvious spots on the levels, so its kinda hard to find stuff).

4) slowdown... if is still present in the original cart, then, yet another programmin failure from the programmers here...

thats about it so far... the game's good, but has several flaws that turn me off sometimes... but im gonna beat this sucker!...

knoxvillz

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
i know a lot of people can't beat the first level, me included, but can you imagine if they included a third or even fourth difficulty level to this game???

hollowuk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I like it, at least its 2D,
I cant do the first level either, but I dont think continues are the answer. No games should have them. A throwback from coin-ops that doesnt have or has ever had any relevance to home gaming. Some ppl just want to the games they play to be easy and cheap, poor souls they will never know what they are missing.
Ban continuing in gaming that what I say.

About Gunforce, I see that game and its sequel to be part of the Metal Slug series, its just so similar. Or the other way round.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hollowuk said:
...I cant do the first level either, but I dont think continues are the answer. No games should have them. A throwback from coin-ops that doesnt have or has ever had any relevance to home gaming....

Wuh?

Not sure what you're talkin' about, dude, but most arcade games of this kind -- way back when -- offered continues. It was the companies' way of milking more quarters from you, since for another quarter, you could continue from where you left off if you threw another quarter in before a 10-second counter ended.

Now, if you're referring to games like Zaxxon, Donkey Kong, Dragon's Lair and other mostly first-gen arcade games (from when places like Aladdin's Castle first started to take off), then you're talking about a different generation of games than that of Metal Slug, of which Commando is a 110% clone of. So, there really is no relevance when talking about this game and continues.

hollowuk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
irpacynot said:
hollowuk said:
...I cant do the first level either, but I dont think continues are the answer. No games should have them. A throwback from coin-ops that doesnt have or has ever had any relevance to home gaming....

Wuh?

Not sure what you're talkin' about, dude, but most arcade games of this kind -- way back when -- offered continues. It was the companies' way of milking more quarters from you, since for another quarter, you could continue from where you left off if you threw another quarter in before a 10-second counter ended.

Now, if you're referring to games like Zaxxon, Donkey Kong, Dragon's Lair and other mostly first-gen arcade games (from when places like Aladdin's Castle first started to take off), then you're talking about a different generation of games than that of Metal Slug, of which Commando is a 110% clone of. So, there really is no relevance when talking about this game and continues.

Not sure what you're talking about either dude, you just sort of made my point for me. It was indeed a money making feature and lend games a prostitutional edge they could do without. You can just NOT continue you know. THATS how gaming should be.

And I cant believe you just described continues to me, ME=25 years of gaming. I know what a damn continue is.

Vater Unser

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
kaspal said:
hollowuk said:
Vater Unser said:
If you want to try a better Metal Slug rip-off, try Gunforce 2 by Irem (the guys who also did R-Type)...It's MAME compatible.

Didnt the team who made Metal Slug also do the gunforce games? And that submarine game 'In the hunt' or something. So its not a rip off is it?

indeed, Nazca did those games, and THEN made Metal Slug... so, its not like those are MS ripoffs... actually, we "could" say MS is a ripoff of Gunforce (heck, even the sounds are reused in MS from gunforce)...
So that's how it is. I assumed it was developed by Irem, since MAME says it was manufactured by them...
You're right though, Gunforce 2 was released long before Metal Slug.

When I stumbled upon Gunforce 2 while browsing some MAME games, I immediately noticed the striking similarities to Metal Slug, and I didn't really consider that it might be from the same company. Gunforce 1 actually doesn't have much in common with Metal Slug at all, and then there's Gunforce 2, which suddenly is suspisciously similar to Metal Slug...How was I supposed not to believe it's a rip-off? It had "rip-off" written all over it
nyanya.gif

It's still clearly better than Commando Steel Disaster...

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hollowuk said:
Not sure what you're talking about either dude, you just sort of made my point for me. It was indeed a money making feature and lend games a prostitutional edge they could do without. You can just NOT continue you know. THATS how gaming should be.

And I cant believe you just described continues to me, ME=25 years of gaming. I know what a damn continue is.

I'm happy for you, and I don't want to having a pissing contest or anything, but I've got five more years of gaming in on ya'.
wink.gif

But "should be"? According to whom? You?
rolleyes.gif
Does having continues somehow make a person less worthy as a gamer? Give me a fucking break...please.

Vater Unser

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
hollowuk said:
That really depends on the game...I don't see how Continues are misfit in a game that's supposed to simulate the good old arcade feeling

Metal Slug wouldn't even be the same without Continues, since you get a Heavy Machine Gun every time you lose a credit...And how weird would it be to have 16 lives instead of 4 continues with 4 lives each? That would also take the fun away for people who want to finish all kinds of arcade games with just one credit...

Furthermore, having Continues instead of a larger amount of lives adds a bit of challenge, since in most games you have to start over a level after using a Continue...Which means that you have to finish a level without going Game Over.
How is that not relevant to home gaming?

While I agree that new games should try to avoid giving the player a limited number of lives entirely, arcade games like these just aren't the same without continues...How are they supposed to bring the coin-up experience to your home without making use of continues?
blink.gif

The Mole

Trophies
XP
Country
Can anybody tell me where to find the red disk A for the save point half way through level 1? i have searched high and low and found disk B1 and a couple of gold ones but not the correct one for the save point.

I have no trouble getting to the boss, the only problem is one hit is a rough 50% of a full energy so i don't have much time to do damage before i am dead. I will keep trying though lol.

dib

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I think this game holds the record on how long it took me to hate it.

First level, dead, game over. I think I'm done playing.

And pretty sure I saw a red disk in a rock that you have to blow up first.

kaspal

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Colombia
irpacynot said:
hollowuk said:

I'm happy for you, and I don't want to having a pissing contest or anything, but I've got five more years of gaming in on ya'.
wink.gif

rolleyes.gif
Does having continues somehow make a person less worthy as a gamer? Give me a fucking break...please.
let the battle of the Geezers begins!
yaynds.gif

i've got only 20 years (ad a lil more... but not more than 3 years...) of gaming, and i like my continues on games, because while is true that a real arcade player should finish a game with only one credit, its also true that its UP TO HIM to do so, some ppl just wanna have fun, and get to the end of the game, no matter what, so they credit feed, or use as many continues as they can.

i dont like the fact that this game doesnt have such thing (continues, i mean), but im still enjoyin it, cuz its a good game nevertheless... could be better, but is still good.

lets just enjoy the damn thing... with continues or w/o them, with cheats or w/othem and so on and so forth... most of us are playin it for ffree, and thats quite a feat.

kaspal

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Colombia
dib said:
I think this game holds the record on how long it took me to hate it.

First level, dead, game over. I think I'm done playing.

And pretty sure I saw a red disk in a rock that you have to blow up first.
well, so far, i've encountered like 4-5 disk on level one alone... problem is, that those are only pieces of the puzzle, since a disk its composed of a few shattered (and scattered) parts... so, yeah, that machine is asking for red disk A... but that disk is composed of 6 pieces... you need to find them all (maybe they're scattered in other levels?) and then go to that part of level 1, and try again...

the damn game has some replayability values in it... even tho its pretty darn hard!.

deathfisaro

Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Well it took me 3 tries to beat the first stage. I died at the boss twice.
And guess what, only got 50% marked.

So not only is the game punishing with all that badly gapped jumps and unexpected behaviors of first-encountered enemies, it forces you to replay levels for 100% completion.

P.S. Someone has said you only get 10 grenades max, but if you pick up a stack of grenades they go up just like MS7.

hollowuk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
irpacynot said:
hollowuk said:

wink.gif

rolleyes.gif

Yes according to me. And yes... yes it does, obviously it does. And no you shall not have a break until you can finish MS1 on one credit, it can be done.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hollowuk said:
Yes according to me. And yes... yes it does, obviously it does. And no you shall not have a break until you can finish MS1 on one credit, it can be done.

wink.gif
All right, well, I'll concede you're more of a man than I am.

Anyway...

Has anyone been able to play the disk missions? I've completed the game, but it still tells me I don't have enough data to carry the disks into missions with me.

hollowuk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
irpacynot said:
hollowuk said:

wink.gif
All right, well, I'll concede you're more of a man than I am.

I wouldn't go that far, I'm just someone who has played far too many video games for far too long.

Basically you should pity me.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Biomutant looks cool tho, may have to try that
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    Usually when such a big title leaks the Temp will be the first to report about it (going off of historical reports here, Pokemon SV being the latest one I can recall seeing pop up here)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I still like how a freaking mp3 file hacks webos all that security defeated by text yet again
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    They have simulators for everything nowdays, cray cray. How about a sim that shows you playing the Switch.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's called yuzu
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I want a 120hz 4k tv but crazy how more expensive the 120hz over the 60hz are. Or even more crazy is the price of 8k's.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No real point since movies are 30fps
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Not a big movie buff, more of a gamer tbh. And Series X is 120hz 8k ready, but yea only 120hz 4k games out right now, but thinking of in the future.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mostly why you never see TV manufacturers going post 60hz
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I only watch tv when i goto bed, it puts me to sleep, and I have a nas drive filled w my fav shows so i can watch them in order, commercial free. I usually watch Married w Children, or South Park
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Stremio ruined my need for nas
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I stream from Nas to firestick, one on every tv, and use Kodi. I'm happy w it, plays everything. (I pirate/torrent shows/movies on pc, and put on nas)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Kodi repost are still pretty popular
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What the hell is Kodi reposts? what do you mean, or "Wut?" -xdqwerty
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Google them basically web crawlers to movie sites
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    oh you mean the 3rd party apps on Kodi, yea i know what you mean, yea there are still a few cool ones, in fact watched the new planet of the apes movie other night w wifey thru one, was good pic surprisingly, not a cam
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn, only $2.06 and free shipping. Gotta cost more for them to ship than $2.06
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I got my Dad a firestick for Xmas and showed him those 3rd party sites on Kodi, he loves it, all he watches anymore. He said he has got 3 letters from AT&T already about pirating, but he says f them, let them shut my internet off (He wants out of his AT&T contract anyways)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's where stremio comes to play never got a letter about it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just use a VPN, even give him my login and password so can use it also, and he refuses, he's funny.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I had to find and get him an old style flip phone even without text, cause thats what he wanted. No text, no internet, only phone calls. Old, old school.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: @BigOnYa...