DS #2374: Cooking Guide: Can't Decide What To Eat? (Europe)

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good for amateurs and very clear and simple to use. If like me you're someone who makes most of their meals from scratch then there isn't much to this other other than the recipes which you can get from a book and even then you would just modify them to suit your own tastes.

I see this selling really well but I'd doubt that many people would still use it after a few weeks.

loopguy

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
cosmiccow said:
NatsuMatto said:
Answering my own question, NO, there are no settings for changing measurement units. It's all metric... time for me to go buy some new measuring cups!
smile.gif

i knew it all the time - there IS a market for Nintendo branded measuring cups!
hehe, but won't there be an US release?

SkankyYankee

GBAtemp Advanced Skank
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
loopguy said:
cosmiccow said:
NatsuMatto said:
Answering my own question, NO, there are no settings for changing measurement units. It's all metric... time for me to go buy some new measuring cups!
smile.gif

i knew it all the time - there IS a market for Nintendo branded measuring cups!
hehe, but won't there be an US release?

you could always get a conversion chart and print it out

paulie_m

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I just finished cooking and eating "Spaghetti Aglio, Olio e Peperoncino" using this software to guide me through the whole process.

I have no cooking ability at all and my girlfriend cooks all the time for us. The dish turned out perfectly and was really tasty. I've just ordered the game as a matter of principle as I know im going to make good use of this and I'd like the developers to make more of the same!

I can cook!

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Holy cow! I just extracted this thing, and it's 262MB. I think it's perhaps bigger than ASH was. What the hell is on this ROM?

Anakir

Project: Melee
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow people are loving this game that much? I think I should give it a try too. Anyone have a list of all the games that was similar to this one? I'm gonna try them all since I'm a fan of cooking.
smile.gif

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anakir said:
Wow people are loving this game that much? I think I should give it a try too. Anyone have a list of all the games that was similar to this one? I'm gonna try them all since I'm a fan of cooking.
smile.gif

This is not at all a game. It's an electronic cookbook, and a good one, at that. There are some pretty good dishes in there. A lot of them, however, call for ingredients that aren't going to be practical for most folks, like myself, but the French recipes are mostly straight-forward.

But there's no gameplay here. A pretty good household tool -- nothing more.

paulie_m

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Just finished making the Chocolate mousse. It is setting at the moment.

Spent about £40 on kitchen utensils and ingredients today because of this game. I'm so full up :|

NatsuMatto

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
blahman said:
is there a welsh recipe section?

cheese on toast?

Yes, there actually *IS* a recipe on the program for Welsh Rarebit.

As to why this ROM is so huge-- it's huge because there is a ton of recorded voicework on the cart. Every step of every recipe has audio instructions telling you what to do. You yell "continue" when you're done, and the program goes on to the next step in the recipe.

There's also about 20 videos on the cart that show you how to do certain things like scale a fish or cook rice, etc.

*IS* this game getting a US release? I wasn't sure... As it stands, the metric units make this program a lot less useful to me (not only with the units of measurement, but with the differences in C vs. F oven temperatures).

Seicomart

Trophies
XP
Country
Please could someone post the Japanese rom number for this? Spent 15 minutes trying via the search function, and manually looking through a good 500 of the release list manually to no avail...
wink2.gif
Thanks!

laminaatplaat

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
That fuck face off a chef doesn't understand my "continue" 9/10 he does repeat... Only if do an impression of a Britt with a foot up his ass he sometimes understands what I'm trying to tell him. It is not like continue even sounds like repeat or back :-/

LesMcQueen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Just made the Sopa De Ajo, mainly because I already had the ingredients.
very nice. Even the kids liked it, though I had to turn off the voice prompting as the background noise kept making it apologise.

Would have probably been better if the voice recognition had been trained, rather than than being generic.
Might try something a bit more adventurous next time.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
NatsuMatto said:
I know this is a Euro release, but is there any kind of option to use "imperial units" of measurement?

I don't really have a lot of metric cooking measures in my house...

EDIT:

smile.gif

Or just wait for the US version. I'll imagine you'll have the added bonus of an American voiceover, complete with eggplants, zucchinis and tomaytoes rather than aubergines, courgettes and tomartoes.

Joujoudoll

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I don't know if anyone is interested in this or not, but I created a conversion table for cooking in metric to imperial...

Here is the link if anyone would like it.
smile.gif

Conversion Table for Cooking

Oh, and if you want to use this, what I do is, it says that one gram is .035 ounces, so I get a calculator and I put in .035 x 30g or whatever the amount of grams is that you want.

I hope this helps some people with this game, I know it helped me with a few recipes already.
smile.gif
I think I should buy a scale with grams on it and it would be much easier. Hehe.

Oh, and this converts the grams to ounces, so it's best to have a scale to weigh out your ingredients in ounces.

Oh, and there are temp conversions too...
smile.gif
Forgot to mention that.

NatsuMatto

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BlueStar said:
Or just wait for the US version. I'll imagine you'll have the added bonus of an American voiceover, complete with eggplants, zucchinis and tomaytoes rather than aubergines, courgettes and tomartoes.

That was my question though... *IS* this getting a US release? I don't know... I haven't checked around. But I can just see Nintendo deciding that Americans wouldn't want something like this.

As for the annoying chef voice... I cleared my throat a few times, which the game took for "continue." Voice recognition is definitely a little FUBAR.
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @K3Nv2, try SanDisk format tool?