DS #2115: Insecticide (USA)

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm sad to say that my DS is utterly fucked right now
frown.gif

I'm getting sick of my moaning so I've decided to save up myself for a new DSL.
I've got about $40 right now, I'll be getting it hopefully within 2 months.
And then I'll be able to enjoy the DS properly
biggrin.gif

plasmatron

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
pasc said:
darkcrudus said:
obtaining right now =P

Seconded
wink.gif
Just nanostray left now (which has been pushed back to march 13 according to Gamestop)

Great week !

Hopefully Nanostray 2 will get dumped tomorrow. I was hoping for a nice prestore release. I think thad SQUIRE will get their hands on it.
And I hope thad Legend Of Kage 2 will also appear this week.

Anyqay. This looks like an interesting game for me to play. Only Space Invaders Xtreme and Tabaluga on my flashcard for a while now.

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Joey Ravn said:
Is it just me, or the controls are a bit... stiff? I'm using stylus controls and, well, I'm having a hard time manoeuvering my character =/

The controls are terrible, especially using the DS Lite d-pad. I gave up attempting to play it. Doesn't look that hot.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
0xyG3N said:
Watch youtube,its shooting monsters xD
Play some more levels, you'll see its adventure/detective as well. Starts off very disappointing, I don't like the controls much but after a while I got used to them and the game got better and better, but yeah the controls kinda ruin it a little. Thankfully the shooting bits ain't the entire game but they do break it up well.

So far I'll give it 7/10 but that is based on a short play, seems to be more in this game than meets the eye but I reckon a lot of people will play for 10 minutes and give up.

C3NTY64

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.radio-ninty.co.uk
XP
Country
I've messed around with the controls still can't find a way of making it playable it's just awful the visuals look like a crappy beta with rubbish bland textures and the controls suck. I know I said that twice but they really do suck.

I dearly wanted this to be good but alas it's not it's average at best in fact I'd say the Spyro game was better. Hopefully the Pc version will be worth it although based on this I'll need a demo first.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm...sorry to hear so many negative replies about the controls, but critics seem to be in agreement. I haven't really read a good review yet for this game. Gonna wait `til this evening to play it, since I heard it tends to be pretty dark. I hope I can get into it.
unsure.gif

jgu1994

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is really really really dark. I barely got through the first level. By the time I was done my eyes were hurting.

MagNetCZ

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Now I don't know if it's worth freeing up some space on my memcard :/
I had high hopes for this but the movement didn't look too good from the videos either. Guess my worst expectations were fulfilled
frown.gif

Why is it so many games fail at the controls, I mean do the devs even play them?

EDIT: I'm replacing dementium, one gamecock for another gamecock, fair enough, right?

m3rox

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MagNetCZ said:
Now I don't know if it's worth freeing up some space on my memcard :/
I had high hopes for this but the movement didn't look too good from the videos either. Guess my worst expectations were fulfilled
frown.gif

Why is it so many games fail at the controls, I mean do the devs even play them?

Judging by all the past games that have sucked, I'd say no

MagNetCZ

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
But it's enough to play the game for like five minutes to find out those easy to fix control scheme bugs. LIKE HAVING TO HOLD R TO STRAFE FOR CHRIST'S SAKE. WTH?? Why do you even turn with the dpad on stylus mode? Oh I know, is it because there's in NO difference between button and stylus mode is it? Or is it just that the button and stylus mode switch doesn't work ingame or something hm.

Also the lockon system is just fucked and I guess the only reason it's there is because of the unpolished, rough stylus movement and the ability to use button controls that don't work either.
I actually fell once because of the lockon, I was doubletappingly jumping over a gap and guess what, it locks on to one of the enemies. You guessed it, the view turns I have no idea what's going on and I fall down.

Anyway when I dev a game I'm trying to make it enjoyable... then I usually don't finish it for some reason but still if people made games for their own enjoyment and not money, oh wait too much utopia eh?

I really don't know if I can force myself to play a bit more as suggested. I guess the detective sections might be interesting but why go through all this frustration to achieve something decent?
What I know for sure is tho that I wouldn't buy this game, if I pay I don't pay for frustration.

I think games should begin as a proper control demo, that way it has at least something solid to build on, if you take controls as part of the bottom of the inversed pyramid which is the game then the game will fall down no matter how good the rest is
frown.gif

4 years and some devs are still struggling with the touchpad. Pathetic.

EDIT: Ok I take some of it back, it kinda works if you use the lockon system a lot and actually use the touchscreen mostly for choosing the targets. Still I like free aim much more.

dakeyras

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hadrian said:
Sweet, now I need the Mrs to get outta the bath and this kid to sleep and I'll play it.

I can't resist. Why on earth does your wife have to be out of the bath for you to play a ds game?

These are goddamn awful controls. How is it possible that something like this even gets past the testing stage? Gheez.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm...after playing through a bit of the game, I think I know what folks' problems are with the controls: they're approaching the game in the wrong frame of mind. I actually like the controls. I'm using the button configuration, and it works well for me. I would suggest that folks approach this game like they would Resident Evil 4, rather than a platformer. It seems to be modeled after RE4, too. If you think of the X-button as the R1-button (if you played the PS2 version of RE4), everything is very similar, except this game offers auto-aim, which is an inspired addition, I think. But like RE4, it has tank controls, with the camera always behind the back. I think if folks approach the game like they would a Resident Evil-style adventure game, they'll likely get more out of it.

I'm still very early on in the game, so my opinions are likely to change, but I'm enjoying it so far.

DespizingU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RE4 didn't have the tank like controls. It was every RE before it, they finally got the controls right in RE4. And if the controls in Instecticide are tank like, I'm not sure if I even want to play it. But I'll still give it a go. Maybe I'll find something about it that I like.

Vater Unser

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
irpacynot said:
It seems to be modeled after RE4, too.
It seems to be modeled after a fuckload of games
rofl2.gif

I see no originality at all in this game.
So you are a detective investigating against a crime ring...that's so new!
This game looks like it's based on a rubbish cartoon series from the makers of Totally Spies or something, only that it isn't, which makes it even worse...
Just where the hell did that hype come from?

jesterscourt

Not Brad.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not all bad, but hitting the X to exit conversations sometimes is a bit off and relaunches it, why cant I simply hit "B" to exit? Learn to BETA TEST DEVs. I mean, man. I'm digging the style, for some reason reminds me of Beyond Good and Evil and Grim Fandango. Not sure why.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: hot take: freddy fazbear's pizzeria simulator is peak fnaf