DS #1365: Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 08 (USA)

DjFIL

Trophies
Website
homepage.mac.com
XP
Country
Canada
the search begins to find this in 2 hours before i go to work. hope the controls are better then last year. something like touch swing golf would be acceptable.

edit: yay first post. also, my main download site all ready has it. yay.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
It's a bit stupid asking you to choose your hairstyle before giving you the option of taking off your cap to see what you're doing. Not actually played it yet trying to find a way to stop my guy looking like a member of Cypress Hill.

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
I just tried it, and it's awful.

It has controls like Touch Golf, but that's about everything positive.

The presentation is very lacking: the intro movie doesn't even have sound! The menu is acceptable.

Then the game itself: everything is pixelated and your ball goes through anything, including trees and buildings.

Avoid this worthless game!

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not played '06 or '07, but '05 was dreadful and from what I remember this is pretty much the same, controls have been improved slightly but the rest is just pretty bad.

The DS version of games would sell a lot better if time was spent on them.

DjFIL

Trophies
Website
homepage.mac.com
XP
Country
Canada
I'm really not too sure what so many people are disapointed about. Here's my personal review... after 9 holes at pebble beach, plus one hole of just messing around (testing collision detection, as a prior post mentioned).

Presentation/Menu... this is sure a bad way to be introduced to the game. the intro video has no audio, weird. the menus seam to have bad lag. the character creation is very limited when compared to any other version. there are 8 courses, not too bad for a ds game. 4 single player modes: play now, practice, tiger challenge, pga tour. 4 multiplayer modes: local wireless, nintendo wfc, download play, pass play. fair selection of options.

In-Game Graphics/Audio... it's not as clear looking as touch swing golf was, but it's not that bad either. pebble beach did look pretty accurate. during ball flight one screen is zoomed in, one screen is a wide view. a prior member said there was no collision detection, this isn't true... i was stalled properly by trees in my way... but there was invisible walls (at out of bounds line) keeping the ball from making it to buildings or further away trees. in-game audio isn't any thing spectacular, but it sounds just fine.

Gameplay... so thank goodness that ea went to a "touch swing golf" style mechanic. It works very well. Yeah my first two holes were way over par (+5 and +3) when i was getting used to the system, but on the 3rd hole and most of way through my 9th I was getting par (and one birdie, and one more single bogey). Reading the greens in the putting is very difficult, measuring distances based on the grid and the caddy suggestions doesn't always work. Nice note, i shut down my ds after the 9th hole, without saving. when i went back in to the game and choose "play now", it asked me if i wanted to continue... it auto saves after each hole, very nice.

Overall... it's the best tiger woods for the ds to date. but it may not be better then touch swing golf, except the fact that this includes Nintendo WiFi Connection play. they are going the right way with this series, but still have more work they can do.

I'd say a 7/10. Good game for golf fans to have.

sidneyyoung

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
I thought it was alright... loads of multiplay options

wfc
wirless 2 wireless
download n play
pass 2 person

i've enjoyed a couple of rounds on-line and enjoyed it

yooeee

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
well you do look at the good points even though they aren't that good. my impression was that it was rushed and didn't have full features. (i'm hearing that a lot about EA games)

i don't think it's worth playing if it's not ready for the public. if they sharpen everything up, have more of a guide in the career mode or something, allow you to zoom to see what customizations on your character you are making, etc., then they may get a decent game. but having certain parts don't make the game good. cool, pebble beach is accurately made. still, i don't want to play it b/c a course is accurate and the gameplay is horrible compared to true swing golf. 7 is actually way too high. max is maybe a 5, but I'd give it a 1 to 3 out of 10. it just looks bad when you release such a poorly presented game. a 7 means you should consider keeping it in your lineup of games. i really don't.

DjFIL

Trophies
Website
homepage.mac.com
XP
Country
Canada
a 7 for me i think is correct... as you said that means i have to be planning to keep it on my flash cart... and i am planning to keep it on there. yes there's some polish that could be done, but i find the game very playable and enjoyable even with it's shortcomings. i guess it's just i'm a golf game fan, and haven't any any ds golf fun since touch swing golf.

but i also agree with the fact that ea rushes their games, and their developers, to hit very strict release dates, no matter the quality.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1