Dreamcast on Wii U possible?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Homebrew' started by Memfis, Oct 1, 2017.

1. Memfis
    OP

Memfis GBAtemp Regular

Jul 18, 2010
    Gambia, The
    The point is not to have a Dreamcast. The point is, to play Dreamcast games with the (Wii U) Gamepad. With my eyes I can't play on TV. I only can play with devices like Wii U Gamepad, 3DS, iPhone and so on.

So, for me the Virtual Console is a bless and that some guys made NES and SNES Emulators for the Wii U. I can experience again my old games. Without: No chance for me.

Last edited by Memfis, Oct 21, 2017
  2. NutymcNuty

NutymcNuty Don't drink too much!

Mar 24, 2015
    Canada
    Ottawa, Ontario
    i wouldn't say cheap as chips, I spent $20 on mine. not cheap as chips...

3. fatsquirrel

fatsquirrel GBAtemp Addict

Nov 11, 2013
    Most likely talking about physically getting a hard used machine from a BookOff or something or hes just saying that he paid 100$ for it, 80$ of which was postage and 20$ the machine.

4. wolf-snake

wolf-snake GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 5, 2009
    Mexico
    Lets add GTA IV into the mix and then we'll talk.
    In all seriousness if he haven't seen proper PSX and N64 emulators on Wii U yet then i doubth we will ever get one for the Dreamcast.

NutymcNuty and ploggy like this.
  5. Memfis
    OP

Memfis GBAtemp Regular

Jul 18, 2010
    Gambia, The
    Isn't this a working PSX-Emulator? (Didn't test it)

6. Dodain47

Dodain47 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 1, 2017
    Austria
    Yes, it is. The meta file in the link over at Wiidatabase is outdated though.
    I recommend you use the updated download link from our Wiisxr compatibility list.

Last edited by Dodain47, Oct 22, 2017
  7. duffmmann

duffmmann GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 11, 2009
    United States
    I remember that old POC, I was always curious if anything more interesting would come of it. He states in the description that what you see he was able to accomplish after only dedicating an hour of work to the POC.

Yeah overclocking the vWii is already proving quite promising. I've got launchers for Not64 and WiiSXR right from my Wii U's menu, and now even the likes of Conker's Bad Fur Day runs nearly flawlessly (aside from a strange box that pops up from time to time in the cutscenes), speedwise its perfect and the audio and video don't stutter in the slightest, I'm truly amazed, and that's without substantial work being added to Not64 and WiiSXR focused solely on what overclocking may now bring to the table.

8. Dodain47

Jan 1, 2017
    Austria
    Yep. Pretty amazing stuff @FIX94 did. :)

9. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    lol 3 times? you forget emulators are not multicore with the very few exceptions of like dolphin every single dreamcast emulator is single core so wiiu only has 1.24 ghz to work with.

10. Dodain47

Jan 1, 2017
    Austria
    I meant the Wiiu console as a whole is 3 times more powerful than the Wii. I think of the CPU,GPU etc..

11. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    your kidding right? its ppc same as wii the cpu on wi is 729 while on wiiu is tricore 1.24 ghz,for emulation tricore means nothing since emulators are all mostly single core so 2 cores are useless right off the bat then gpu makes no diference for emulation becuase 99% of the emulators just use cpu heavy load, the gpu is stronger yes but for emulation what you need is a cpu not gpu, barely any emulator overloads a gpu they all hit cpu enterily specialy emulators made for the consoles, they never have speed issues becuase of the gpu but always because not enough cpu speed.

Last edited by pedro702, Oct 25, 2017
  12. Billy Acuña

Billy Acuña GBAtemp Addict

Oct 10, 2015
    Mexico
    Tell that to NeoDS which is almost completly handled by the GPU.

13. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    like i said very very rare emulators are using gpu speed, no dreamcast emulator afaik is even using gpu for shit.

14. Billy Acuña

Billy Acuña GBAtemp Addict

Oct 10, 2015
    Mexico
    Emulators like SDL-based, RetroArch and direct ports? Yeah.
    Dedicated emulators like gpsp, snes9x for o3ds, Not64, WiiSXR and GX ones? Nope.

But at this point I don't think will be any dedicated emulators for the wiiu. But the fact is that is very doable to have full speed Dreamcast emulation for the wiiu.

15. Memfis
    OP

Memfis GBAtemp Regular

Jul 18, 2010
    Gambia, The
    I have registered me at http://reicast.com/forums to ask, if someone can fulfill me my wish to port reicast to Wii U (overclocked vWii).
    The problem is, that I dont get an activation e-mail. E-Mailadress is correct (GMX) Does anyone know how I can contact one of the admins?
    Username is the same as here.

16. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    reincast is an arm emulator, porting that to ppc will probably never happen due to months or years of work for a wiiu project that not even has n64 or ps1 working yet.

17. El 15

El 15 Member

Newcomer
    Apr 10, 2016
    Mexico
    I have a doubt about wiisx and wiisxr when tried to play final fantasy tactics on one of the first versions of wiisx it works perfect, and now with newer versions and on wiisxr it works very bad, controller issues ans music issues, I think if someone could copy some of the code of the first versions there was some good things there maybe the Wiisxr version could have a big improvement, i dont know where to let this information, Excuse my bad english im not native.

18. RepeatingDigits

RepeatingDigits GBAtemp Regular

Apr 9, 2015
    Chile
    Considering how mediocre Dreamcast emulation is on PC, I wouldn't hope for anything.
    I just bought an actual Dreamcast, best decision ever.

19. seanp2500

seanp2500 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 2, 2010
    United States
    hold up dreamcast pc emu is not mediocre. In fact in many ways it is superior. From res to fan made patches to controls. I would revisit this repeatingdigits I know I was very happy.

in terms of wiiu gosh I will hold my breath but I would love to see it happen. The dreamcast emu on xbox360 actually worked quite well!

20. Dodain47

Jan 1, 2017
    Austria
    The developer who coded Wiisx no longer support the emulator. Mystro256 took over and created Wiisxr. You can leave an Issue note on the projects githube page though i´m not sure if he reads them.

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted