Dreamcast get 230v when it should have 110v

ymmij12

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Bought my first Dreamcast. Did not get much pleasure from it as I did not find out that it was a 110v system on it. Certainly if I had read the texts on the back then I would have known it was not 220v. I connected the cord and saw it start to make smoke from it. My question is if the fault will only be on the power part or have other parts also probably become broken?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It is too late in the day for me to be trying to figure out dreamcast PSU protection circuit and that will likely determine what, if anything, got fed onwards into the DC (which even then may or may not have survived or had something else burn out and be replaced easily enough).
However looking at step 5 of
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Replacing+Sega+Dreamcast+Power+Block+(Power+Supply)/1572
then the outputs it has are 12V, 3.3V and 5V. This means you should be able to do a PC power supply adapter easily enough as those are the same voltages such things produce, and pretty much any PC supply will do here as I doubt the dreamcast will draw more power than it can supply. I didn't see any guides to it online (not that I looked hard) but it should not be hard to take the classic "turn a PC power supply into a bench supply" type guide and throw wires around inside the dreamcast instead to see if it still works.

Reactions: ymmij12 and Uiaad

Uiaad

GBAtemp's resident guinea pig
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
a slightly cheaper alternative to a pc power supply may be a triple output switch mode power supply which at those voltages - going from memory the dreamcast draws about 22 watts

something like https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/embedded-switch-mode-power-supplies-smps/1227187/ should more than do, plus will probably fit inside the dreamcast case without too much modification - you can find cheaper chinese versions but check and double check the voltages and the amps needed on each power rail. More amps for the unit is fine ( as the dreamcast will only draw what it needs) but will probably have issues if you try to underrun it

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
a slightly cheaper alternative to a pc power supply may be a triple output switch mode power supply which at those voltages - going from memory the dreamcast draws about 22 watts

something like https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/embedded-switch-mode-power-supplies-smps/1227187/ should more than do, plus will probably fit inside the dreamcast case without too much modification - you can find cheaper chinese versions but check and double check the voltages and the amps needed on each power rail. More amps for the unit is fine ( as the dreamcast will only draw what it needs) but will probably have issues if you try to underrun it
For that kind of money there are some dedicated replacements already (most of the search I did came back with such things).

The PC thing was picked mainly as everybody has an old PC or a friend with an old PC (or possibly can go on the street and find and old PC), especially if they are also the sort of person inclined to lift a screwdriver as part of this. At that point a set of snips, some wire strippers and some wire is probably enough for a proof of concept "does it still work?", it might even take longer to remove the DC case if you have messed with PC supplies before.

Uiaad

GBAtemp's resident guinea pig
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@FAST6191 - I did say cheaper chinese ones are available usually for a matter of between £10 - £20, i mean it all comes down to expectation at the end of the day. i mean shopping about you can pick up a whole new dreamcast for about £40 maybe 50 with shipping

ymmij12

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
should try with a power supply from a computer. Have some pieces that are with my brother. Will go there to chop the Christmas tree

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ptLqnNMcQk