Emulation Dreamcast Emulation?

JasonH

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have been following this forum for a few years now. I can recall talk of possible Dreamcast Emulation once the Kernel is hacked. That time has come and gone so I was wondering if there is an Emulator in the works or if it is even possible? Even if the Dreamcast isnt possible could another version of the DS Emulator or even N64 Jaguar Playstation1 to tweek out all the glitches. Just wondering if anything might be in the works and i highly appreciate the work you guys have done over the years.

Last edited by JasonH,

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I would love to emulate dreamcast on the wii u. My old phone could emulate it, so it is not a problem of power

Is Reicast for android similar in style to how Daedalus was for n64 on PSP? A bunch of hacks to get each game working, but not particularly accurate?

http://wiki.reicast.com/index.php/Reicast_Compatibility_List?wap2

http://daedalusx64.wikia.com/wiki/DaedalusX64_Compatibility_List

I would love to see more high end emulators for Wii U (N64/PSX/DC), but I just don't think it will happen for a long time :(

I hope I'm wrong though as Retroarch and URetro have already been touted.

Mr Objection

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Is Reicast for android similar in style to how Daedalus was for n64 on PSP? A bunch of hacks to get each game working, but not particularly accurate?

http://wiki.reicast.com/index.php/Reicast_Compatibility_List?wap2

http://daedalusx64.wikia.com/wiki/DaedalusX64_Compatibility_List

I would love to see more high end emulators for Wii U (N64/PSX/DC), but I just don't think it will happen for a long time :(

I hope I'm wrong though as Retroarch and URetro have already been touted.
well, first the n64 is very hard to emulate like other consoles, for example my phone can handle dreamcast games at 60 fps, but when I try to run saturn games, there is when lag comes, so I think is just a matter of effort

Last edited by Mr Objection,
Reactions: KiiWii

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know it can at least handle DS emulation very well, like with the DS emulator onI know it can at least handle DS emulation very well, like with the DS emulator on the VC (written by the company that wrote the MobiClip codec of all things), so accurate DS emulation won't be an issue, nor would Snes, GBA, pretty much anything up to N64 accurately. Now, PSX would be good to have as well. the VC (written by the company that wrote the MobiClip codec of al

Deleted member 42501

Trophies
XP
DC emulation has been shown to be quite smooth and exceedingly playable on less powerful devices so the code should, theoretically, be easy to port across to the Wii U if certain folks are sufficiently motivated and the kernel is already open.

I've often thought that members of the scene should release their homebrew like shareware, where you can leech it for free if you feel or toss a couple of bucks in the pot as a token of your appreciation for their efforts as I know I'd gladly contribute for there are some really talented devs out there that have all added to my overall gaming experience in ways too numerous to mention.

Would you chip in if that were the case?

A Plus Ric

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Listen.....it's been how long since we have had kernel exploit and how many emulators have we had yet? And not the no sound glitch ones. None. Face the facts. We probably won't see any, and if we do it will be I a long time as noone really cares about it. Get over it and move on.

Reactions: Deleted User

Mr Objection

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Listen.....it's been how long since we have had kernel exploit and how many emulators have we had yet? And not the no sound glitch ones. None. Face the facts. We probably won't see any, and if we do it will be I a long time as noone really cares about it. Get over it and move on.
The problem is that it takes too much time, something that people lacks

A Plus Ric

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Time, lol. Saying you have no time is an excuse not a reason. If you want to do something you make time. It's that simple. That's why they are "hobbies" you find time to do a hobby. To say you have no free time is to say you are lazy essentially.

Mr Objection

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Time, lol. Saying you have no time is an excuse not a reason. If you want to do something you make time. It's that simple. That's why they are "hobbies" you find time to do a hobby. To say you have no free time is to say you are lazy essentially.
Making an emulator demands lots of time, they prefer doing something more rewarding with their time

ScarletDreamz

[Debug Mode]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
its not the same to port an emulator to an Open Source device like Android, to a Console, take as example the NullDC-360 that continue the work on 2012, even when the RGH was already for quite some time. and again the project is/was/still a work in progress.

Here: https://github.com/gligli/nulldc-360 take a look for yourself.

A Plus Ric

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But if you really wanted to, you would. Lack of motivation or caring, and difference in coding are excuses for lack of interest. When you are interested, you do it. When you aren't really that interested, you go slow here and there, and don't care. Which is basically what I said.

Mr Objection

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
But if you really wanted to, you would. Lack of motivation or caring, and difference in coding are excuses for lack of interest. When you are interested, you do it. When you aren't really that interested, you go slow here and there, and don't care. Which is basically what I said.
well, I see that you are very interested on doing something, so go and do it, it isnt as easy as you think. They work, have a live, so there isnt much free time to do something very difficult that takes a lot, but a lot of time

Last edited by Mr Objection,
Reactions: CJB100 and KiiWii
Trophies
Website
heyquark.com
XP
Country
Australia

Which is why I said. Don't expect one soon, if at all. They don't care enough. Lol ty for clearing it up

As an actual homebrew developer; I can give you some valid reasons. First, however, I'd like to point out the Chip8 emulator and the GameBoy emulator, both of which have been out for months. Go give their devs some love.
  1. A complete and utter lack of community support. "the wii u is dead; all the devs are useless; there's no homebrew; just move on" right before someone prints some colours to a screen and you're all over that for months, while I'm just left to my own devices in the background. You start to believe the stuff you're told, y'know. It's finally starting to collectively sink in to homebrewers, have you noticed it?
  2. The Wii U is a pain. That's why I love it. However, combined with point 1 it doesn't make for a compelling development system.
  3. The Exploit Shitshow. I hinted at this in point 1, but all this IOSU stuff is actually really annoying and we should all stop acting like its release will magically make all your dreams come true while simultaneously ignoring the dreams that have already been released. The devs keeping stuff private are only fuelling this fire. I understand there's a development cycle and a brick risk (and SALT is handling this excellently) but someone needs to change PR strategy, and the community sure isn't.
  4. The forum. There's a link in my signature to my attempt to fix this.
  5. Motivation/lack of interest/whatever. Partially my own fault, but also caused by the other points in combination.
  6. Sleep deprivation/possible depression. Completely my own fault. I'm working on it.
I'm no speaking for anyone else here, but I suspect they have similar issues too (maybe not that last one). Well, I hope that gives you some "valid" reasons; and hopefully you can realise that it's a number of factors contributing to stagnant development rather than being lazy.

As for the OP, I'm sure it's possible, but who cares? The Wii U is dead, after all. You'll all get your prized IOSU exploit, but you'll have alienated everyone you need to make it useful in the process. Seriously, can we just stop?

Mr Objection

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
As an actual homebrew developer; I can give you some valid reasons. First, however, I'd like to point out the Chip8 emulator and the GameBoy emulator, both of which have been out for months. Go give their devs some love.
  1. A complete and utter lack of community support. "the wii u is dead; all the devs are useless; there's no homebrew; just move on" right before someone prints some colours to a screen and you're all over that for months, while I'm just left to my own devices in the background. You start to believe the stuff you're told, y'know. It's finally starting to collectively sink in to homebrewers, have you noticed it?
  2. The Wii U is a pain. That's why I love it. However, combined with point 1 it doesn't make for a compelling development system.
  3. The Exploit Shitshow. I hinted at this in point 1, but all this IOSU stuff is actually really annoying and we should all stop acting like its release will magically make all your dreams come true while simultaneously ignoring the dreams that have already been released. The devs keeping stuff private are only fuelling this fire. I understand there's a development cycle and a brick risk (and SALT is handling this excellently) but someone needs to change PR strategy, and the community sure isn't.
  4. The forum. There's a link in my signature to my attempt to fix this.
  5. Motivation/lack of interest/whatever. Partially my own fault, but also caused by the other points in combination.
  6. Sleep deprivation/possible depression. Completely my own fault. I'm working on it.
I'm no speaking for anyone else here, but I suspect they have similar issues too (maybe not that last one). Well, I hope that gives you some "valid" reasons; and hopefully you can realise that it's a number of factors contributing to stagnant development rather than being lazy.

As for the OP, I'm sure it's possible, but who cares? The Wii U is dead, after all. You'll all get your prized IOSU exploit, but you'll have alienated everyone you need to make it useful in the process. Seriously, can we just stop?
You have reason, the idiots that always are saying wii u is dead, arent helping

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
we dont even have a damn nes emulator with sound working right and people are talking about dreamcast emulator i mean srs if the scene doesnt bother making even simple emulators you arent gonna see complex ones at all.

Reactions: Deleted User

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I hate myself