Drastic DS emu to be made open source.

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Flame, Jul 23, 2019.

1. bobmcjr

bobmcjr GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 26, 2013
    United States
    DraStic targets ARM and x86 only. The Wii/Wii U are not feasible to port to because they are PowerPC based, and I don't see anyone writing PPC JITs these days. The Vita is probably too weak, 444 MHz is pretty low. The OpenPandora was 800MHz, and it struggled a bit with 3D heavy games.

NoNAND likes this.
  2. Idontknowwhattoputhere

Idontknowwhattoputhere bruh

Jan 19, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Stop smoking cannabis
    wii u and wii scene is pretty much dead homebrew wise
    or why don't you port it ya self?

3. NoNAND

NoNAND The missing chip

Aug 22, 2015
    Antarctica
    And much like with the aforementioned systems the Wii U is weak and low powered, insofar that it even struggles with N64 games.
    Drastic emulation would perhaps perfom on estimate 25-30 FPS in heavy demanding 3D NDS games and who knows maybe a bit better in less intense (graphics-wise) games.
    Furthermore, like @Idontknowwhattoputhere said the Wii and the Wii U scene are dead meat by now. Long have they perished. To be frank the WII U scene wasn't as anticipating and as exciting in contrast to It's handheld counterpart--the 3DS and way off in popularity in comparison to It's predecessor the Wii.
    So long story short, don't expect anything new for the wii u henceforth.
    highly unlikely that anyone would be pouring their efforts and time into achieving such a task.

4. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    I don't know about best, but it's certainly the fastest (apart from maybe No$GBA, if you can even get it working properly with the game you want to play)

Knowing Exophase's past, I honestly didn't expect this from him. He has been kind of iffy when it comes to open source, I remember at one point breaking a license by withholding source code, which as far as I know he never remedied.

5. bobmcjr

bobmcjr GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 26, 2013
    United States
    Do you happen to remember exactly what source code was withheld?

6. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    I think I was confusing him with ZodTTD actually. Guy withheld the source code for pcsx4all, Exophase was the one calling him out (by requesting the source code in public), on the Openpandora forums (now the Pyra forums)
    So I guess Exophase is cool. ZodTTD on the other hand...

7. DjoeN

DjoeN Captain Haddock!

Oct 21, 2005
    Belgium
    Somewhere in this potatoland!
    Nice to read this, i bought it last month on my Android Tablet (Lenove TAB P10 4GB/64GB) where it runs perfect (Also on my Android phone (Moto G7+ 4GB/64GB) it runs perfect

8. the_randomizer
    This message by the_randomizer has been removed from public view by Quantumcat, Aug 12, 2019, Reason: Bickering.
    Aug 11, 2019
  9. Idontknowwhattoputhere
    This message by Idontknowwhattoputhere has been removed from public view by Quantumcat, Aug 12, 2019, Reason: Bickering.
    Aug 11, 2019
  10. the_randomizer
    This message by the_randomizer has been removed from public view by Quantumcat, Aug 12, 2019, Reason: Bickering.
    Aug 11, 2019
  11. Zyvyn

Zyvyn GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 9, 2017
    United States
    That would open up tons of choices though the DS is kinda hard to play with touch and all on emu

12. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    That's what Bluetooth controllers are for. I use a Moga pad on my LG Stylo 4 and it DraStic runs perfectly.

13. pasc

pasc Newbie

Ah! Noiiice ! Looking forward to many improvments.

14. Zyvyn

Zyvyn GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 9, 2017
    United States
    yes but what about games that commonly switch between touch and buttons

15. Humanity

Humanity GBAtemp Regular

Aug 9, 2019
    Norway
    I haven't played with DS emulators since back in the day when no$gba was the best one for full speed and DeSmuME still had a lot of work needed for games to run at better speed.

This looks good, though. If DraStic is as good as no$gba was.

16. Humanity

Humanity GBAtemp Regular

Aug 9, 2019
    Norway
    Is there a Windows version of DraStic?

I have only found Android

17. Flame
    OP

Flame Me > You

GBAtemp Patron
    Flame is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 15, 2008
    DraStic is now Android and coiuple other platforms, well once it is open sourced it can be ported to windows.

Humanity likes this.
  18. monkeyman4412

monkeyman4412 Gbatemp's moronic trash

Jun 16, 2016
    United States
    Darn, I can't come up with something edgy
    He says if possible, implying uncertainty and understanding that it may not happen.
    No need to be rude if you ask me.

Dartz150 and MythicalData like this.
  19. Idontknowwhattoputhere

Jan 19, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Your quoting something from over a week ago
    *grabs popcorn*

20. fanheavy

fanheavy Member

Newcomer
    Aug 17, 2019
    Serbia, Republic of
    Drastic ran perfectly on pretty much any phone I threw it on, it going open source will help other emulators and ports.

21. monkeyman4412

Jun 16, 2016
    United States
    Nice attempt at trying to redirect the conversation. Changing it so we won't discuss that you were being rude to someone else for no good reason.
    Cute. So what's next?

22. Idontknowwhattoputhere

Jan 19, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Your starting drama now ay?
    Another person on the ignore list

23. monkeyman4412

Jun 16, 2016
    United States
    :rolleyes:
    Okie. seems like you have issues if the first person that tells you that you're wrong, and then when you try to create a strawman and that said person rips it apart, and calls it out. Your response is to block..... how telling.
    Anyways doesn't change that you were being unnecessarily rude.
    Moving on I'm excited for one drastic comes on to windows, and hopefully on to wiiu and wii, one day someone maybe will. One day.

24. Axido

Axido GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 12, 2014
    Germany
    Ucking inally! :grog::yaynds:
    This is my emulator of choice when it comes to DS games, but playing it on my phone rather than an actual handheld console always made it feel kinda wrong. Hopefully, this will turn into Switch homebrew soon. I'd definitely welcome playing DS Pokémon games with fast forward enabled on a Nintendo device.

Now if this also meant that an ARM-optimized 3DS emulator was going to be in the works, that'd make my wildest dreams come true.

DraStic is mainly taking advantage of the ARM architecture, since it's the same, since the DS family of handhelds (as well as the 3DS family) is based on ARM. This is why you are capable of getting performances unrivaled by DeSmuME on smartphones and tablets. Iirc the Wii and Wii U do feature an ARM coprocessor each, but those are for handling IOS software (not to be confused with iOS by Apple).

Last edited by Axido, Aug 18, 2019