ROM Hack Dragon Quest X (Offline Mode)

Grimm

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is less of a request and more of an inquiry I guess.

This game is an online-only, Japan exclusive entry in the series. While it is playable on multiple systems (PC, 3ds, PS4, Wii) it has never had an English release. The language barrier aside, it is a great entry to the series but like so many online-only games before, eventually the servers will be shut down and the game will be unplayable.

An obvious hurdle is the necessary connection to the game server in order to play but the game does feature a completely offline prologue as well as an 'offline mode' story that comes (after the prologue) before the main game.

While it isn't much compared to the entirety of the game (at this point it is the original game and 4 expansions) it would still give English speaking players a way to experience some of DQX while simultaneously preserving a part of an otherwise doomed game.

I know that the 3ds version connects to the Nintendo servers with your Ninty id and certainly must connect to the Square Enix server to check your SE account as well but if these 2 checks could be bypassed the Prologue and Offline stories might be playable without the Square Enix servers allowing these parts of the game to live on past the life of the servers.

Of course an English translation, in any form, would be the icing on the cake.

Is there any real interest in a project like this?

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
First of all, MOST of the game is actually server-side, so it's impossible to play online without SERIOUS modifications OR custom servers (like most classic PC MMOs have), meaning your only two choices are to either modify the game to include all the stuff from the servers too or just duplicate the server by somehow finding the files needed to host one.

As for patch, like almost all MMOs, WAY too much text to even bother translating, it's like trying to translate games like World Neverland (originally a pseudo-MMO) needing SO much work even 20-people-large translation teams just went "nope" and even the official devs giving up instantly for the first 5 games! It's much easier to just learn Japanese to play it than actually translate DQX just for reference, so yeah, just play with google translate open:P

Grimm

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know that most of the game is online only.

Maybe I wasn't clear on what I was proposing.

My proposal is to modify the game so that you can bypass any kind of server checks in order to play ONLY the offline content (prologue and extended offline story)

Since the offline content is such a small part of the game it would mean a lot less text to translate, hypothetically making the job of translating it less daunting.

Again, not the entire game, only the offline parts.

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I know that most of the game is online only.

Maybe I wasn't clear on what I was proposing.

My proposal is to modify the game so that you can bypass any kind of server checks in order to play ONLY the offline content (prologue and extended offline story)

Since the offline content is such a small part of the game it would mean a lot less text to translate, hypothetically making the job of translating it less daunting.

Again, not the entire game, only the offline parts.
You don't get it, I'm not talking about the server checks or anything like that, the game actively downloads assets from the server for a LOT of things while playing, prologue and some other stuff are the only things saved console-side, reason the game isn't really that big space-wise when you install it. Also, even the offline parts aren't fully on the SD card either and need the server to work properly...

haliway

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
You don't get it, I'm not talking about the server checks or anything like that, the game actively downloads assets from the server for a LOT of things while playing, prologue and some other stuff are the only things saved console-side, reason the game isn't really that big space-wise when you install it. Also, even the offline parts aren't fully on the SD card either and need the server to work properly...

I do not think that this statement is actually correct. What the online does is to perform the interaction between the assets but the assets themselves are downloaded via installation or updates. Otherwise there will be no point to do updates if the logic was streamed or downloaded while playing. It does of course "download" / "display" the other players assets but everything that is static based like the PNJ etc. is most likely not.

If everything was downloaded while playing the response time and framerate would be very bad.

And don´t bring the streaming services to the table. That´s another story and that´s pretty much the display of a computer that you get on your screen (video streaming) nothing more plus the interaction with a controller.
No other way to perform streaming. No game especially MMO is able to provide a streaming service as this type of service is really expensive to provide (bandwidth, servers, interaction, auto scaling).

Last edited by haliway,

AustNerevar

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
proquestinations.com
XP
Country
United States
The extended offline campaign is still very playable through the original Wii version although the online services for the Wii has been disabled. In fact, another group had actually begun work on translating the PC version of the offline campaign but stopped due to that version no longer being available (I assume it was removed from the DQX launcher)

The offline portion is only like 6 -10 hours long, so it wouldn't be nearly as big a job as translating the entire MMO.

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This is less of a request and more of an inquiry I guess.

This game is an online-only, Japan exclusive entry in the series. While it is playable on multiple systems (PC, 3ds, PS4, Wii) it has never had an English release. The language barrier aside, it is a great entry to the series but like so many online-only games before, eventually the servers will be shut down and the game will be unplayable.

An obvious hurdle is the necessary connection to the game server in order to play but the game does feature a completely offline prologue as well as an 'offline mode' story that comes (after the prologue) before the main game.

While it isn't much compared to the entirety of the game (at this point it is the original game and 4 expansions) it would still give English speaking players a way to experience some of DQX while simultaneously preserving a part of an otherwise doomed game.

I know that the 3ds version connects to the Nintendo servers with your Ninty id and certainly must connect to the Square Enix server to check your SE account as well but if these 2 checks could be bypassed the Prologue and Offline stories might be playable without the Square Enix servers allowing these parts of the game to live on past the life of the servers.

Of course an English translation, in any form, would be the icing on the cake.

Is there any real interest in a project like this?
Its an impossible project as the entire 3ds version of the game was streamed off the internet. All the 3ds has is an app to connect the 3ds to the DQX server.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nintendo-insider.com/dragon-quest-x-adventures-3ds/

mikhaelcool7

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The game isn't even a game but just a 10MB app that connects you to their streaming servers. In order to progress further in the streamed game you would have to subscribe just like you would with WoW. The 3DS can't handle such high poly models so the game would run very poorly if someone just ported the game over. Pretty sure even the Switch has the streaming service too and isn't played natively.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: :shy: