Dragon Quest V: HotHB is coming out a month from now!

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by Rod, Jan 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Jan 18, 2009
  1. Rod
    OP

Member Rod GBAtemp Fan

Brazil
    EDIT - 02/17/09: Game's out, European version. Piracy check's in, check Narin's topic for info of bypassing it:
    http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=135925

=====

[​IMG]

GAME INFO
    Name: Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride
    Publisher: Square Enix
    Developer: Arte Piazza, ChunSoft (original game)
    System: Nintendo DS
    Genre: Role-Playing Game

Part of one of japan's most well-known video game franchises ever, Dragon Quest V is going to be released for the first time outside of japan in February 17, 2009(US - EU scheduled for Feb 20) for the Nintendo DS. The game was originally released for the Super Famicom in late 1992, and received a remake for the PS2 in 2004. Probably the most story-based DQ game ever, the game is highly regarded by most fans as the series' best. In the game, you play the role of... (some story spoilers below, avoid them if you wish so!)
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

Dragon Warrior/Quest has never been a blockbuster franchise here in the western shores, a considerable opposite of the cultural status it has on the japanese people. It got a little more popular after the release of Dragon Quest VIII for the PS2, which revamped some stuff about the game while keeping the core intact, making it more appealing to diverse markets; as well as the confirmation of Dragon Quest IX for the DS and, more recently, Dragon Quest X for the Wii.

I'd have to say I'm pretty hyped for this. I played the original translated game on a Snes emulator some few years back, and trhoughoutly enjoyed it. I've been wishing to replay this forever, but now I'm glad I didn't, so I can experience it again on the DS.
    What about you, fellow Tempers? What are your guys' thoughts about this game, or the series in general? Are you hyped for this as well, are you not, are you thinking of jumping in the DQ boat for the first time with this one? Come on, tell us! (well, that is, unless you're a mindless hating troll who has no respect to others' opinions whatsoever and is just looking for attention. In that case, don't post. We're not gonna quote ya, so don't try! [​IMG] )

MEDIA
    [​IMG] REVIEWS [​IMG]
    [​IMG] IGN UK 8.9: http://ds.ign.com/articles/952/952928p1.html (thanks, granville!)
    [​IMG] IGN US 8.9 as well! http://ds.ign.com/articles/953/953411p1.html

[​IMG] IMAGES [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Japanese trailer:

Speak it up, GBAtemp! [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Goshogun1

Member Goshogun1 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I am very excited about this game. I played about 6 hours of the Super Famicom version, and I can say that the storyline is very epic. I also loved being able to have monsters join your party if you wanted.

Honestly, I would have never dreamed that America would ever be playing DQ V in English. Let alone, a completely overhauled remake. I remember first reading about it in an issue of EGM, and thought it would come out here. Sadly I was mistaken, and we also missed out on VI. It's a good time to be an RPG fan. Especially if you own a NDS.

I am still working on DQ IV, so I won't be playing this one for a while.

3. Nocturnius

Member Nocturnius GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Might get it. Looks pretty cool. Though I am really interested in Dragon Quest IX. It looks great. [​IMG] Love DQ games so fun.

4. Toni Plutonij

Former Staff Toni Plutonij *has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!

Croatia
    So many news regarding DQV lately.. [​IMG]

I loved IV on NDS, and I loved III on GameBoyColor (if I recall well)..
    I didn't expect this to be released so soon!!

5. Raven Darkheart

Member Raven Darkheart The Radioactive Flamer

United States
    DQ 4 was a bit too buggy for my tastes
    if they ironed out most of the bugs in tis remake i'll play

6. xanth

Member xanth GBAtemp Regular

United States
    DQIV was the first one I had played since I played through the first one, and it was a solid RPG. The plot and characters were kind of dull, but the gameplay made it enjoyable.

I'll definitely pick this up when it comes out. Only thing though, I had forgotten that this had a subtitle, and was kind of confused when I saw the title of this thread. I think the word "HotHB" is going to be permanently lodged in my memory every time I think of this game now. [​IMG]

7. Awdofgum

Member Awdofgum Wadofgum

United States
    DQ IV was an awesome remake, I still own a working copy for the NES!
    I can't say that I've been around that long though, it was my cousin's.

I'm pretty excited for DQV because it was never released in America for SNES.

8. InuYasha

Member InuYasha Professional Coke Fiend

United States
    Long as theres more recruitable monsters i'll be happy......and hopefully they do away with the monster level restrictions too....

9. Zane

Member Zane Ace Wizard

Sweden
    Is this the game where you can customize your character? or is that the 9th game? =P anyway, i'm excited for this, i'm currently playing through the 4th one.

10. cupajoe

Member cupajoe Have a cup of joe!

United States
    If I recall, there are more recruitable monsters... not sure about the level cap though.

11. MicShadow

Member MicShadow GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    I loved Dragon Quest IV, except I got sick of starting over. I was like 'eh' after that.

So I cant wait for this one [​IMG]

12. Toni Plutonij

Former Staff Toni Plutonij *has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!

Croatia
    The game where you can customize your character so deeply is IX....this one is remake!

13. Zane

Member Zane Ace Wizard

Sweden
    Ah ok, doesn't matter i plan to try them both out anyway. =)

14. Tikker

Member Tikker GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    DQ 3&4 were among my top 5 games of all time

I was very excited as a kid for DQ5 to come out, and was bitterly disappointed when it never made it to NA

I've been waiting like 20 years for this game now, and I'm going to play the ever living shit out of it

15. Nadz

Newcomer Nadz Member

Australia
    I liked DQIV but restarting was a PITA

16. Hop2089

Member Hop2089 Cute>Hot

United States
    I'll wait for DQ IX to be released in Japan.

17. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    Looking forward to it, hopefully it's a bit better and more advanced then DQ IV (which I enjoyed a lot, but it was too basic/pure for me to complete it...)

18. Pizzaroo

Member Pizzaroo douchebag

United States
    2 weeks from now....

19. ZeroEXE93

Member ZeroEXE93 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I didn't like DQIV that much but I remember playing the original Japanese version of DQV and loving it. I'll probably buy it this time around when it gets released. [​IMG]

20. domo kun

Newcomer domo kun Advanced Member

Canada
    This game looks really good. I'm also hoping the Dragon Quest on Wii turns out good.

I wish I didn't open the spoiler box, I didn't know anyone actually used those for spoilers and not just jokes [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.