Gaming Dragon Quest V: HotHB is coming out a month from now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rod

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
EDIT - 02/17/09: Game's out, European version. Piracy check's in, check Narin's topic for info of bypassing it:
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=135925

=====

942423_117299_front.jpg

GAME INFO
Name: Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride
Publisher: Square Enix
Developer: Arte Piazza, ChunSoft (original game)
System: Nintendo DS
Genre: Role-Playing Game

Part of one of japan's most well-known video game franchises ever, Dragon Quest V is going to be released for the first time outside of japan in February 17, 2009(US - EU scheduled for Feb 20) for the Nintendo DS. The game was originally released for the Super Famicom in late 1992, and received a remake for the PS2 in 2004. Probably the most story-based DQ game ever, the game is highly regarded by most fans as the series' best. In the game, you play the role of... (some story spoilers below, avoid them if you wish so!)
a nameless hero who's the son of Lord Papas (Phankraz in the US version), starting the game as a little lad, reaching all the way to adulthood and eventually getting married during the course of the game.

Dragon Warrior/Quest has never been a blockbuster franchise here in the western shores, a considerable opposite of the cultural status it has on the japanese people. It got a little more popular after the release of Dragon Quest VIII for the PS2, which revamped some stuff about the game while keeping the core intact, making it more appealing to diverse markets; as well as the confirmation of Dragon Quest IX for the DS and, more recently, Dragon Quest X for the Wii.

I'd have to say I'm pretty hyped for this. I played the original translated game on a Snes emulator some few years back, and trhoughoutly enjoyed it. I've been wishing to replay this forever, but now I'm glad I didn't, so I can experience it again on the DS.
What about you, fellow Tempers? What are your guys' thoughts about this game, or the series in general? Are you hyped for this as well, are you not, are you thinking of jumping in the DQ boat for the first time with this one? Come on, tell us! (well, that is, unless you're a mindless hating troll who has no respect to others' opinions whatsoever and is just looking for attention. In that case, don't post. We're not gonna quote ya, so don't try!
moogle.gif
)

MEDIA
2s97m6q.gif
REVIEWS
2s97m6q.gif

2s97m6q.gif
IGN UK 8.9: http://ds.ign.com/articles/952/952928p1.html (thanks, granville!)
2s97m6q.gif
IGN US 8.9 as well! http://ds.ign.com/articles/953/953411p1.html

2s97m6q.gif
IMAGES
2s97m6q.gif

942423_20090121_screen023.jpg
942423_20090121_screen013.jpg
942423_20090121_screen020.jpg
942423_20090121_screen024.jpg
942423_20090121_screen004.jpg
942423_20090121_screen017.jpg

Japanese trailer:

Speak it up, GBAtemp!
grog.gif
2s97m6q.gif

Goshogun1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am very excited about this game. I played about 6 hours of the Super Famicom version, and I can say that the storyline is very epic. I also loved being able to have monsters join your party if you wanted.

Honestly, I would have never dreamed that America would ever be playing DQ V in English. Let alone, a completely overhauled remake. I remember first reading about it in an issue of EGM, and thought it would come out here. Sadly I was mistaken, and we also missed out on VI. It's a good time to be an RPG fan. Especially if you own a NDS.

I am still working on DQ IV, so I won't be playing this one for a while.

xanth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DQIV was the first one I had played since I played through the first one, and it was a solid RPG. The plot and characters were kind of dull, but the gameplay made it enjoyable.

I'll definitely pick this up when it comes out. Only thing though, I had forgotten that this had a subtitle, and was kind of confused when I saw the title of this thread. I think the word "HotHB" is going to be permanently lodged in my memory every time I think of this game now.
biggrin.gif

Awdofgum

Wadofgum
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DQ IV was an awesome remake, I still own a working copy for the NES!
I can't say that I've been around that long though, it was my cousin's.

I'm pretty excited for DQV because it was never released in America for SNES.

InuYasha

Professional Coke Fiend
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Long as theres more recruitable monsters i'll be happy......and hopefully they do away with the monster level restrictions too....

cupajoe

Have a cup of joe!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
InuYasha said:
Long as theres more recruitable monsters i'll be happy......and hopefully they do away with the monster level restrictions too....
If I recall, there are more recruitable monsters... not sure about the level cap though.

Toni Plutonij

*has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Zane said:
Is this the game where you can customize your character? or is that the 9th game? =P anyway, i'm excited for this, i'm currently playing through the 4th one.
The game where you can customize your character so deeply is IX....this one is remake!

Tikker

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
DQ 3&4 were among my top 5 games of all time

I was very excited as a kid for DQ5 to come out, and was bitterly disappointed when it never made it to NA

I've been waiting like 20 years for this game now, and I'm going to play the ever living shit out of it

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Looking forward to it, hopefully it's a bit better and more advanced then DQ IV (which I enjoyed a lot, but it was too basic/pure for me to complete it...)

domo kun

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This game looks really good. I'm also hoping the Dragon Quest on Wii turns out good.

I wish I didn't open the spoiler box, I didn't know anyone actually used those for spoilers and not just jokes
tongue.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :rofl2: