Question Download section - why are the majority of downloads of my app still the older version?

Discussion in 'Site Discussions & Suggestions' started by hippy dave, Dec 4, 2018.

1. hippy dave
    OP

hippy dave BBMB

Apr 30, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Hi,
    I put my app in the Download section the other day, then not long after I updated it. The main orange "Download Now" button points to the latest version, the direct link in my forum thread is updated to point to the latest version, yet as I watch the numbers on the right of the downloads page, or in the history tab, more people are still downloading the first version than the latest update.

Am I doing something wrong? Is this gbatemp being weird? Or has someone on the internets somewhere posted a direct link to the older version?
    Cheers

2. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    I don't think the issue is GBAtemp download center, like you noticed the big button has the correct link, your thread too.
    People can access the History tab and get the old one (for archival purpose?), but it shouldn't be the majority of users who care about old versions.
    But I think the main problem is due to another website who made a release news about your tool, and didn't make a new one for the update, providing only the old link on their website.

hippy dave likes this.
  3. hippy dave
    OP

hippy dave BBMB

Apr 30, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Yeah I think you're right. One of the first hits on google was for a french site that links directly to the old release. Oh well.

4. wicksand420

wicksand420 GBAtemp Addict

Nov 13, 2016
    United States
    Maybe change the location of the old download so there link don't work on the french site?

5. hippy dave
    OP

hippy dave BBMB

Apr 30, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Nice suggestion but I don't think the gbatemp download centre is set up for that.

Maybe I'll try posting on their site later with google translate. It's not the end of the world anyway, the newer release is the same version of the app, just without the stray MacOS hidden files in the release zip.

wicksand420 likes this.
  6. wicksand420

wicksand420 GBAtemp Addict

Nov 13, 2016
    United States
    You always have to make sure people are getting the latest, to ensure that people aren't submitting bug reports for older versions. Maybe have someone who speaks french tell them to update there link to the latest version.

hippy dave likes this.
  7. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

GBAtemp Patron
    Quantumcat is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    There should be a link like github with "/latest" on the end which gets resolved to the latest version.

hippy dave and Cyan like this.
  8. Costello

Costello Headmaster

Administrator
    Oct 24, 2002
    can you edit the description for the old version, so as to indicate that this version is outdated , and provide a link to the newest version?

I am pretty sure it does that by default, without having to add anything to the URL.

Quantumcat likes this.
  9. hippy dave
    OP

hippy dave BBMB

Apr 30, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for the reply. That doesn't seem to be an option, I can edit the main description for the "resource", which contains all the versions, and I can edit the descriptions for updates, but I can't edit the version description for the original version. Whoever is downloading it from an external link wouldn't see a description from this site anyway, they've got this link which directly downloads the original version.

The nice big orange "Download Now" button on the download page automatically updates to the latest version link, but it still points to a specific version. On my history tab, the two versions' download links end in /download?version=35412 and /download?version=35414. I did just check whether changing it to /download?version=latest would work, but got an error page. Might be a nice feature to add?
    Thanks again.

Quantumcat likes this.
Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted