Hacking Downgrading emuNAND.

phalk

Handheld Maniac
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Is it possible to downgrade my emuNAND with sysUpdater?

On sysUpdater's github pages it says
"IMPORTANT: Don't run this with any sort of firmware spoofing enabled like Gateway mode/rx mode/whatever or it will brick!"

Does it mean it would brick my sysnand if I tried this?

I want to revert my emunand to version to 4.1 or 4.2, on a separate sd card, just for using an old DS Flash Card (r4igold revision C "doraemon", which was permanently blocked a long time ago).

If I can't do this, which is the correct way (if there is one)?

ps.: Already tried that unblocker CIA, didn't work for my flashcart.
ps2.: I don't have a 4.1 or 4.2 nand backup.
ps3.: I'm using rxTools.
ps4.: I don't have enough money to buy one.

Last edited by phalk,

fate6

Haha, I killed a Pumpkin!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
look up "bluecardfix.cia" or "FlashcardTimewarp.cia".
They will let you use your flash cart again but timewarp spoofs the whitelist to version 999 or something so it's never updated even if you update the whole emuNAND while the bluecardfix will just install the original whitelist thus it doesn't block anything, Downside to that is the system will think it needs an update.

EDIT: You said you tried one of these right? try the other? if that doesn't work then IDK.

Last edited by fate6,

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
There are two components to how the 3DS (both old and New) block DS carts: the first is the whitelist, as most people know. The second is TWL_FIRM, which is also known as the "DS" mode when you start a DS or DSiWare game. If downgrading the whitelist didn't unblock your cart, then the TWL_FIRM from 4.x did, when they updated it a long time ago. So the solution for your case, assuming your cart did work on the 3DS on such an old firmware, would be to downgrade the DS mode back to the one from 4.1 or 4.2 (or an even earlier one). No need to even downgrade the entire system or emuNAND. In fact, you can use 3DNUS to download and make a CIA for it. Its title ID is 0004013800000102 (source: https://www.3dbrew.org/wiki/Title_list#00040138_-_System_Firmware) for Old 3DS. You'd probably want version 3601 or 4625, since those are from before they added the EEPROM blocking stuff in 4.4 and onward.

That being said, I don't know if you'd need to install that to sysNAND, emuNAND, or both, but Nintendo does still keep old TWL_FIRMs on their update servers.

*Note that downgrading TWL_FIRM won't work on New 3DS, because there is only -one- TWL_FIRM available, and ones from the old 3DS will NOT work as far as I know, due to the hardware differences.

Last edited by daxtsu,
Reactions: phalk

phalk

Handheld Maniac
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
There are two components to how the 3DS (both old and New) block DS carts: the first is the whitelist, as most people know. The second is TWL_FIRM, which is also known as the "DS" mode when you start a DS or DSiWare game. If downgrading the whitelist didn't unblock your cart, then the TWL_FIRM from 4.x did, when they updated it a long time ago. So the solution for your case, assuming your cart did work on the 3DS on such an old firmware, would be to downgrade the DS mode back to the one from 4.1 or 4.2 (or an even earlier one). No need to even downgrade the entire system or emuNAND. In fact, you can use 3DNUS to download and make a CIA for it. Its title ID is 0004013800000102 (source: https://www.3dbrew.org/wiki/Title_list#00040138_-_System_Firmware) for Old 3DS. You'd probably want version 3601 or 4625, since those are from before they added the EEPROM blocking stuff in 4.4 and onward.

That being said, I don't know if you'd need to install that to sysNAND, emuNAND, or both, but Nintendo does still keep old TWL_FIRMs on their update servers.

*Note that downgrading TWL_FIRM won't work on New 3DS, because there is only -one- TWL_FIRM available, and ones from the old 3DS will NOT work as far as I know, due to the hardware differences.
Whoa, that's very useful, thanks man! Gonna make some backups here and try this ASAP.

Reactions: daxtsu

phalk

Handheld Maniac
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hmm the CIA file 3DNUS generated is invalid (tried with both FBI and BBM). Maybe it will work with DevMenu?

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it possible to downgrade my emuNAND with sysUpdater?

On sysUpdater's github pages it says
"IMPORTANT: Don't run this with any sort of firmware spoofing enabled like Gateway mode/rx mode/whatever or it will brick!"

Does it mean it would brick my sysnand if I tried this?

I want to revert my emunand to version to 4.1 or 4.2, on a separate sd card, just for using an old DS Flash Card (r4igold revision C "doraemon", which was permanently blocked a long time ago).

If I can't do this, which is the correct way (if there is one)?

ps.: Already tried that unblocker CIA, didn't work for my flashcart.
ps2.: I don't have a 4.1 or 4.2 nand backup.
ps3.: I'm using rxTools.
ps4.: I don't have enough money to buy one.
using ds flashcards in emunand is by many confirmed not to work the whitelist fix method mentioned by @daxtsu will however allow you to play your flashcard from sysnand

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
using ds flashcards in emunand is by many confirmed not to work the whitelist fix method mentioned by @daxtsu will however allow you to play your flashcard from sysnand

It seems to depend on the CFW you use (and maybe the card you have in general?). For example, I can use my Gateway blue card in emuNAND just fine with the white list downgraded.

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It seems to depend on the CFW you use (and maybe the card you have in general?). For example, I can use my Gateway blue card in emuNAND just fine with the white list downgraded.
probably does as my friend only needed to install the generic bluecardfix.cia to get his r4i to work again . . . while i had to mess with both whitelist files as you mentioned to get ak2i to work again
and thats just sysnand my ak2i still wont work from emunand

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
and thats just sysnand my ak2i still wont work from emunand

Ah, the Acekard, yeah, that would require downgrading TWL_FIRM on the old 3DS. Sadly, there's no way to make it work on the New 3DS that I know of. I guess if someone ever reverse engineers where they added the EEPROM check or whatever it was, then there might be a chance.

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah, the Acekard, yeah, that would require downgrading TWL_FIRM on the old 3DS. Sadly, there's no way to make it work on the New 3DS that I know of. I guess if someone ever reverse engineers where they added the EEPROM check or whatever it was, then there might be a chance.
no no . . . im on a o3ds
an og3ds (launch day purchase . . . downgraded from 10.3 btw)
and a 2ds (updated from 6.0.0-12U via sysupdater)
both with rxtools . . . and if i install them on my 2ds emunand when i load the ak2i it hangs for a long time and gives me an error
and when i tried on my dg og3ds it bricked emunand????
so i gave up . . . hopefully you can help . . . ?
You'd probably want version 3601 or 4625, since those are from before they added the EEPROM blocking stuff in 4.4 and onward.
but this interest me i believe i downloaded a file in the 4,000 range i did not know about an older one that would work . . .?

Last edited by wormdood,

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
(source: https://www.3dbrew.org/wiki/Title_list#00040138_-_System_Firmware) for Old 3DS. You'd probably want version 3601 or 4625,
one question if i install the 3601 version will i loose folders . . . i ask this because when i click the 4625 link on the page you linked i see this in a description
Ability to add folders

Probably the biggest new feature, this lets you organise your Home Menu with folders. Here's how they work. Select an unoccupied tile and select "Create Folder". Tap "Edit Settings" if you want to name your folder, but remember: only the first letter shows up on its Home Menu icon. The full name appears on the top screen when you tap the folder. Press your stylus onto an icon for a second and you'll 'pick it up'. Drag it over to the folder and take your stylus off the screen to 'drop' the icon into the folder. That's pretty much all there is to it. You can't put folders inside other folders, so don't try to nest them.

Video:

and i am also concerned with this
Ability to patch games

This is a big one. Nintendo has added the ability for games — both retail and download — to receive updates in the form of patches or free add-on content. Here's what will be available in future. Mario Kart 7 will get an update to address glitches. This update will be released in May, so don't go looking for it now. Mighty Switch Force! will get five extra levels and a quick-retry button, all for free.

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Alright. So, I have to downgrade that file with sysUpdater?

Should be fine, yeah. If you're going to do this on sysNAND, make a backup of your NAND, obviously, before trying it. Hell, make a backup of emuNAND too. Never know what you might run into. Always play it safe.

phalk

Handheld Maniac
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Should be fine, yeah. If you're going to do this on sysNAND, make a backup of your NAND, obviously, before trying it. Hell, make a backup of emuNAND too. Never know what you might run into. Always play it safe.

DAAAAMN! IT WORKED!

Hahahahahaha, you can't imagine how happy I am.

Used the 4625 one and updated sysNAND with sysUpdater (the one with memchunkhax).

I can't believe it worked! Hahahaha

PS.: Do you mind if I make a Tutorial to make this work for other people with your instructions? Proper credits will be given. :D

Reactions: daxtsu

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended