Downgrading emuNAND.

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by phalk, Jan 14, 2016.

1. phalk
    OP

phalk Handheld Maniac

Apr 23, 2009
    Brazil
    Is it possible to downgrade my emuNAND with sysUpdater?

On sysUpdater's github pages it says
    "IMPORTANT: Don't run this with any sort of firmware spoofing enabled like Gateway mode/rx mode/whatever or it will brick!"

Does it mean it would brick my sysnand if I tried this?

I want to revert my emunand to version to 4.1 or 4.2, on a separate sd card, just for using an old DS Flash Card (r4igold revision C "doraemon", which was permanently blocked a long time ago).

If I can't do this, which is the correct way (if there is one)?

ps.: Already tried that unblocker CIA, didn't work for my flashcart.
    ps2.: I don't have a 4.1 or 4.2 nand backup.
    ps3.: I'm using rxTools.
    ps4.: I don't have enough money to buy one.

Last edited by phalk, Jan 14, 2016

2. fate6

fate6 Haha, I killed a Pumpkin!

Aug 2, 2014
    United States
    [fate6@Canterlot ~]$
    look up "bluecardfix.cia" or "FlashcardTimewarp.cia".
    They will let you use your flash cart again but timewarp spoofs the whitelist to version 999 or something so it's never updated even if you update the whole emuNAND while the bluecardfix will just install the original whitelist thus it doesn't block anything, Downside to that is the system will think it needs an update.

EDIT: You said you tried one of these right? try the other? if that doesn't work then IDK.

Last edited by fate6, Jan 14, 2016
  3. daxtsu

daxtsu GBAtemp Guru

Jun 9, 2007
    Antarctica
    There are two components to how the 3DS (both old and New) block DS carts: the first is the whitelist, as most people know. The second is TWL_FIRM, which is also known as the "DS" mode when you start a DS or DSiWare game. If downgrading the whitelist didn't unblock your cart, then the TWL_FIRM from 4.x did, when they updated it a long time ago. So the solution for your case, assuming your cart did work on the 3DS on such an old firmware, would be to downgrade the DS mode back to the one from 4.1 or 4.2 (or an even earlier one). No need to even downgrade the entire system or emuNAND. In fact, you can use 3DNUS to download and make a CIA for it. Its title ID is 0004013800000102 (source: https://www.3dbrew.org/wiki/Title_list#00040138_-_System_Firmware) for Old 3DS. You'd probably want version 3601 or 4625, since those are from before they added the EEPROM blocking stuff in 4.4 and onward.

That being said, I don't know if you'd need to install that to sysNAND, emuNAND, or both, but Nintendo does still keep old TWL_FIRMs on their update servers.

*Note that downgrading TWL_FIRM won't work on New 3DS, because there is only -one- TWL_FIRM available, and ones from the old 3DS will NOT work as far as I know, due to the hardware differences.

Last edited by daxtsu, Jan 14, 2016
    phalk likes this.
  4. phalk
    OP

phalk Handheld Maniac

Apr 23, 2009
    Brazil
    Whoa, that's very useful, thanks man! Gonna make some backups here and try this ASAP.

daxtsu likes this.
  5. daxtsu

daxtsu GBAtemp Guru

Jun 9, 2007
    Antarctica
    Let us know how it goes.

6. phalk
    OP

phalk Handheld Maniac

Apr 23, 2009
    Brazil
    Hmm the CIA file 3DNUS generated is invalid (tried with both FBI and BBM). Maybe it will work with DevMenu?

7. wormdood

wormdood pirate booty inspector

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    behind a parental advisory sticker
    using ds flashcards in emunand is by many confirmed not to work the whitelist fix method mentioned by @daxtsu will however allow you to play your flashcard from sysnand

8. daxtsu

daxtsu GBAtemp Guru

Jun 9, 2007
    Antarctica
    It seems to depend on the CFW you use (and maybe the card you have in general?). For example, I can use my Gateway blue card in emuNAND just fine with the white list downgraded.

9. wormdood

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    probably does as my friend only needed to install the generic bluecardfix.cia to get his r4i to work again . . . while i had to mess with both whitelist files as you mentioned to get ak2i to work again
    and thats just sysnand my ak2i still wont work from emunand

10. daxtsu

daxtsu GBAtemp Guru

Jun 9, 2007
    Antarctica
    Ah, the Acekard, yeah, that would require downgrading TWL_FIRM on the old 3DS. Sadly, there's no way to make it work on the New 3DS that I know of. I guess if someone ever reverse engineers where they added the EEPROM check or whatever it was, then there might be a chance.

11. wormdood

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    no no . . . im on a o3ds
    an og3ds (launch day purchase . . . downgraded from 10.3 btw)
    and a 2ds (updated from 6.0.0-12U via sysupdater)
    both with rxtools . . . and if i install them on my 2ds emunand when i load the ak2i it hangs for a long time and gives me an error
    and when i tried on my dg og3ds it bricked emunand????
    so i gave up . . . hopefully you can help . . . ?
    but this interest me i believe i downloaded a file in the 4,000 range i did not know about an older one that would work . . .?

Last edited by wormdood, Jan 14, 2016
  12. wormdood

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    one question if i install the 3601 version will i loose folders . . . i ask this because when i click the 4625 link on the page you linked i see this in a description
    and i am also concerned with this

13. daxtsu

daxtsu GBAtemp Guru

Jun 9, 2007
    Antarctica
    No. Just downgrade TWL_FIRM and/or the whitelist and nothing else.

14. wormdood

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    . . . ok i just was little confused as to weather or not these things were in the mentioned file
    but i see now that page it took me to is labeled
    4.0.0-7

and the file is a lil older than that

15. phalk
    OP

phalk Handheld Maniac

Apr 23, 2009
    Brazil
    Alright. So, I have to downgrade that file with sysUpdater?

Edit: Is this brick-safe? lol

16. daxtsu

daxtsu GBAtemp Guru

Jun 9, 2007
    Antarctica
    Should be fine, yeah. If you're going to do this on sysNAND, make a backup of your NAND, obviously, before trying it. Hell, make a backup of emuNAND too. Never know what you might run into. Always play it safe.

17. Ruby Gloom

Ruby Gloom GBAtemp Maniac

Sep 25, 2015
    Dalvík, Iceland
    EDIT: Sorry, my computer loads stuff slowly. I didn't see all these posts. Carry on.

18. wormdood

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    same result on my 2ds damn you ak2i
    not gonna try the dg o3ds yet
    maybe i need to use another cfw . . . any good suggestions for o3ds besides rxtools ?

19. daxtsu

daxtsu GBAtemp Guru

Jun 9, 2007
    Antarctica
    You could try Cakes I suppose (no port of Reinand to O3DS/2DS yet).

20. phalk
    OP

phalk Handheld Maniac

Apr 23, 2009
    Brazil
    DAAAAMN! IT WORKED!

Hahahahahaha, you can't imagine how happy I am.

Used the 4625 one and updated sysNAND with sysUpdater (the one with memchunkhax).

I can't believe it worked! Hahahaha

PS.: Do you mind if I make a Tutorial to make this work for other people with your instructions? Proper credits will be given. :D

daxtsu likes this.