Hacking Downgrading 4.2 to 4.1 Wii via Hombrew

nknave

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hi guys, I'm here to share with you all that I've been experimenting with my Wii (BootMii as Boot2 or else I wouldn't do it) and the new Firmware, I'm an enthusiast.

Well first of all, I tried the following to downgrade back to 4.1 and ended up as a brick.

WAD Manager 1.5

Uninstalled IOS70, reinstall all old IOS that I originally had when I had 4.1 installed.

After doing this, black screen, nothing booted, of course, I fixed with cBoot2/Wad Manager 1.4 patched.

My next attemp will be removing all STUBS and see if that has any effect.

Has anyone tried to this this in any way?

nknave

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Yup, I'm sure I did everything necessary, but didn't contemplate the new Nintendo Stubbs, which I will now, and I got a funky feeling SystemMenu481(4.2U) leaves some traces which prevents older SystemMenus installed.
wink2.gif

D

Deleted-171178

You do know AnyRegionChanger will do this?
Also, did you install IOS60 and 4.1 System Menu?

xzxero

♥bong milk does good for the brain♥
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i think you bricked because you uninstalled IOS 70.

try install v6174 of IOS 60 then the system menu of 4.1

nknave

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
xzxero said:
i think you bricked because you uninstalled IOS 70.

try install v6174 of IOS 60 then the system menu of 4.1

The method was like this:

Once all new is installed including stubs and IOS70 (must), I did the following.

Uninstalled IOS70 first, Installed IOS60, Installed SM4.1 and all other IOS......... = black screen.

I'm thinking it's either residues from 4.2 or the stubs might be making noise.

I'll try some stuff when I get home.

I'ts maily for knowledge purposes rather than downgrading for sure, I think 4.2 is fine in my book, and PreLoader is working
smileipb2.png

piratesmack

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you updated through Nintendo, you have boot2v4 (same version that the "lu64" wiis have) and downgrading will probably brick you.

comboace

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was also wondering about IOS61 since that was used as a bug fix for WM+ and that was for 4.1. I do know it's used for the shop channel.

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
@piratesmack - He can downgrade to 4.1 - or down to any menu 3.4 or newer...

@comboace: IOS61 is only used by the shop channel and the HBC. It has nothing to do with the WM+ fix. The 4.0 and 4.1 menu use IOS60.

Delete the stub IOS60 with ATD then install IOS60 v6174 and SM4.1 without removing IOS70. An unused IOS won't bother anything.

Stubs for IOS30,40,50 shouldn't cause any issue.

Also, I'm assuming you're overwriting the system menu, not uninstalling then reinstalling the older one. If you uninstall it, that's what's causing the brick (settings.txt goes missing when you do that).

markehmus

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
beegee7730 said:
You do know AnyRegionChanger will do this?
Also, did you install IOS60 and 4.1 System Menu?

did the nintendo update and installed new hackmiiv5 and could get anyregionchanger to do it it wouldnt run,
niether did firmware-downgrader-mod-1.24 and 7 hours of playing with apps on the new 4.2, so many apps dont work rite.

i did install the new boot mii prior so i just nand dumped then updated reinstalled bootmii,screwed around, hated it, recovermii to 3.2u.

yesterday morning i was on 3.2 without any homebrew, not even preloader or HBC,just have wiikey 1.9s.
last nite i tried everything mentioned above , now loving the new bootmii.
this was done on my spare wii in the closet as i love 4.1 and use it on my regular daily wii.

maybe today i may try the waninkoko 4.2 updater to see how it results with homebrew.
will firmware-downgrader-mod-1.24/AnyRegionChanger work?? does it matter since recovermii does??
ahh im nosey so maybe i will check

piratesmack

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
techboy said:
@piratesmack - He can downgrade to 4.1 - or down to any menu 3.4 or newer...

But to do that, he would have to downgrade IOS60 (4.0-4.1) or IOS50 (3.4).

I thought Boot2v4 won't run downgraded IOS's

xzxero

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
antonkan said:
Well, if you have system menu 4.2, you CANNOT downgrade to system menu 4.1 and below because 4.2 has boot2v4 rather than boot2. It will brick your Wii!
but if your wii originally can install bootmii as boot2, then you get recover that by installing bootmii v4
then you can possibly downgrade.
but as for those with bootmii as IOS and are on 4.2, i dont think there is a way of downgrading.

lettuce

Trophies
XP
Country
Well i downgrade from 4.2 to 4.1. (make sure you have ISO60 v6174 on your system first not ISO60 v6400) For safety measures make sure u have a backed Nand and boot2 install if possible. Heres what i did:

Used IOS-Downgrader
Downgrade to FW to 3.2 using cIos Downgrader
Run Waninkoko's 4.1 updater

xzxero

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
lettuce said:
Well i downgrade from 4.2 to 4.1. (make sure you have ISO60 v6174 on your system first not ISO60 v6400) For safety measures make sure u have a backed Nand and boot2 install if possible. Heres what i did:

Used IOS-Downgrader
Downgrade to FW to 3.2 using cIos Downgrader
Run Waninkoko's 4.1 updater
yea but i bet you used waninkoko's 4.2 updater and/or installed bootmii as boot2.

nknave

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
antonkan said:
Well, if you have system menu 4.2, you CANNOT downgrade to system menu 4.1 and below because 4.2 has boot2v4 rather than boot2. It will brick your Wii!

In my case, I'm not using Boot2v4 cause I never updated that part of my Wii (it is stupid to do this).

Remember that Boot2v4 started on Some Wii's with FW v 3.4, so if you Wii came with that version, all corresponding IOS to that version will run on your Wii and no bricks will Happen.

There is no Wii on a retail store that comes with a Boot2v5???? that only supports newer IOS that came with this latest update.

Basicly, yes you may Downgrade to at least 4.0 on any Wii without a fear of Brick (at your own risk).

Oh, and thanks for keeping up with the thread, With the help of some coments here I found out that my Wii wasn't booting cause I did uninstall the SM before reinstalling and settings.txt were lost and therefore, the black screen of death.

Cheers.
Please lock the thread.

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
piratesmack said:
If you updated through Nintendo, you have boot2v4 (same version that the "lu64" wiis have) and downgrading will probably brick you.

Pretty sure that only matters if you downgrade below 3.4. People need to get their misconceptions about boot2v4 sorted out.

0M39A

Trophies
XP
Country
quick question (its probably obvious but im tired
wink.gif
)

if i for some stupid reason update to 4.2 via nintendo, and get my boot2 updated to boot2v4, then run the hackmii installer and get bootmii back, would i still be able to use my old 3.2e nand backups with the new boot2 version?

cant imagine any reason i would need to, as i have been on 4.1 for a while now and have plenty recent backups of that i could use.

Thomas83Lin

Retro Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.thomas83lincodes.com
XP
Country
United States
FenrirWolf said:
piratesmack said:

Pretty sure that only matters if you downgrade below 3.4. People need to get their misconceptions about boot2v4 sorted out.

Not that i recommend downgrading, but i have a boot2v4 running older IOS's just fine

edit: If it matters though this wii does have bootmii installed to boot2 with the boot2v4, That might make the difference

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-