Not free. Most would probably be classified as 'Abandonware'. Meaning the software is no longer published, supported, or who owns the copyright isn't too clear.
Oh man the memories... I remember the first time I logged onto a BBS back in 93, and all I ever did for the next two years (until I got hooked on some new thing called the 'Internet'
) was download, download, DOWNLOAD.
I collected all the Apogee and Epic titles, perused various others as well.
Aside from the obvious classics (Wolf 3D, Doom, Commander Keen episodes 1 thru 6, etc.), I'd have to say that Rise of the Triad is one seriously underrated game.
EDIT: I also HAVE to namedrop Tyrian, which is still fun to this day.
Alone in the Dark (The creepiest game ever)
Abuse
Indiana Jones and the last Crusade/ Fate of Atlantis
X-Wing/ Tie Fighter
Wing Commander 1&2
All Sierra Games
Twinsen 1&2
my fave:
Nighthawk F-117A Stealth Fighter 2 -- one of the earliest best flight-simulator ever made! fortunately i still have a copy from the floppy-disks but lost the bulky manual. btw the speaker sound of the aircraft itself is annoying!
others:
Airborne Ranger
Albion
Alley Cat
B-17 Flying Fortress
Bass Tour
Battle Chess
Budokan
Buzz Aldrins Race into Space
Centurion
Commander Keen series
Dangerous Dave series
Deus
Digger
DOOM series
Duke Nukem 2
F-19 Stealth Fighter
Grand Prix Circuit
Hind
Ignition
Motor City
Ocean Trader
Pizza Tycoon
Prince of Persia
Quake series
Test Drive
Top Gear 2
Transport Tycoon
Wolfeinstein 3D
X-Com series
.. others i might have forgotten
err..
Fatal Relation
Paradise High
The Maid's Story
Three Sister
True Love
.. i'm just curious back then, really.. i was a boy for God sakes!
sorry if some games weren't from DOS, coz im not really remember them well
I just bought Duke Nukem 3D for DOS. Have to say: most bad-ass classic game played by me. Also the most wrong classic game I have played. But not too wrong. But there are strippers and posters in just about every level. So I suggest parental control (built-in).
After being announced last week, the first of two broadcasts is set to go live later today with a stark focus on The Legend of Zelda and its 40th anniversary...
It's that time again folks, an update for the Switch and Switch 2, and a surprisingly big one at that! At lease for folks on the Switch 2. The most notable feature...
It is with a heavy heart that I announce the departure of our beloved Chary from the position of Chief Editor. Chary took over early 2021 and has done a wonderful job...
The second of a two-part special, a more traditional Nintendo Direct is set to air today. Unlike the Zelda Direct the contents of this one is still relatively up in...
After an accidental leaking of their review video from Linus Tech Tips last week, we somewhat knew that news on Steam's latest VR venture was imminent. Today the...
Over the weekend a number of Switch and Switch 2 related subreddits came alive with people reporting bans on their Switch 2 consoles out of nowhere. The error code...
After more than a year, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe has gotten a fresh update with a focus on the Switch 2, and it's surprisingly meaty. For those Switch 2 players, they'll...
Announced a few days ago, Nintendo of America have today launched their Customer Appreciation Sale. Featuring 30% discounts across a wide range of popular first-party...
It's been something of a quiet week in the gaming space, with the deluge of big hitters trying to find their place before GTA 6 launches really kicking off next week...
The PlayStation 5 scene has received a massive breakthrough with the public release of Relapse, a new exploit chain developed by Nathan Fargo in collaboration with...
After being announced last week, the first of two broadcasts is set to go live later today with a stark focus on The Legend of Zelda and its 40th anniversary...
It's been something of a quiet week in the gaming space, with the deluge of big hitters trying to find their place before GTA 6 launches really kicking off next week...
It is with a heavy heart that I announce the departure of our beloved Chary from the position of Chief Editor. Chary took over early 2021 and has done a wonderful job...
The in-progress Switch port of the 2013 Rockstar Games Grand Theft Auto V has been forced to end progress after Take-Two Interactive has threatened legal action...
After an accidental leaking of their review video from Linus Tech Tips last week, we somewhat knew that news on Steam's latest VR venture was imminent. Today the...
The second of a two-part special, a more traditional Nintendo Direct is set to air today. Unlike the Zelda Direct the contents of this one is still relatively up in...
Announced a few days ago, Nintendo of America have today launched their Customer Appreciation Sale. Featuring 30% discounts across a wide range of popular first-party...
From my post earlier this week you probably already know which game I'm talking about. Fire Emblem released yesterday to some pretty rave reviews. Looking at...
A few days ago Chary stepped down as Chief Editor after 5 wonderful years, and everyone guessed the seat wouldn't stay empty for very long. Back in 2021 I proudly...
A court has ordered Reddit r/SwitchPirates moderator James Williams (of ArchBox fame) must pay Nintendo $4.5 million in a default judgment for copyright infringement...