• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Donald Trump indicted on federal charges related to handling of classified documents

• Thread starter Xzi
  • Start date
  • Views 8,768
  • Replies 169
  • Likes 9
Status
Not open for further replies.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It's pretty simple. It is hypocritical to claim to advocate equal justice under the law whilst simultaneously supporting/defending a narcissist/sociopath who has a long history of using his wealth, power, and privilege and a team of lawyers to avoid prosecution/conviction for countless criminal acts that would have landed most Americans in prison. A true advocate of equal justice would find Trump's Teflon legal immunity to be a chilling example of the opposite. However, such support makes sense under the notion that one's political goals are served by just such an individual, as long as they remain legally shielded, in clear disregard of such lofty ideological principles. Thankfully, after decades of stonewalling and millions in legal deflection, the charges and convictions are finally starting to catch up with the long list of crimes. Few Americans are able to afford this level of blatant inequality under the law. So, it would be better to be honest here and just say that equality under the law has the appearance of being a nice libertarian campaign slogan, while in practice Machiavellian political expediency is the true modus operandi.
…what? As I said, this is a power vested in the office of the presidency, not in Trump. It applied to Trump, it applied to Obama, it applies to Biden now - it’s part of constitutional law. If you think it’s bad law, I’ve got good news for you, there’s a built-in system for changing it, and it’s called the Supreme Court, or if you really want to shake things up, an amendment can be drafted - you just need support in Congress and state legislatures. Trump had executive privilege to move and disseminate any document that belonged to the U.S. government with no oversight, it was an inherent power of his office at the time, in the same way as giving someone a traffic ticket is an inherent power vested in a police officer. You can’t give anyone a ticket, but that’s not evidence of “inequality” - you’re just not a police officer, it’s not your job to do so. If you want to give people traffic tickets, you have a path to becoming a police officer - just apply. If you want the power to handle classified documents, run for president. Literally anyone who fulfils the criteria listed in the constitution can do that. I’m going to ignore the rest of the post because it’s moralistic rambling, and I have no interest in that - this is a thread about legal proceedings, not about Trump’s character.

• Haha
Reactions: tabzer

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
…what? As I said, this is a power vested in the office of the president, not in Trump. It applied to Trump, it applied to Obama, it applies to Biden now - it’s part of constitutional law. If you think it’s bad law, I’ve got good news for you, there’s a built-in system for changing it, and it’s called the Supreme Court, or if you really want to shake things up, an amendment can be drafted - you just need support in Congress and state legislatures. Trump had executive privilege to move and disseminate any document that belonged to the U.S. government with no oversight, it was an inherent power of his office at the time, in the same way as giving someone a traffic ticket is an inherent power vested in a police officer. You can’t give anyone a ticket, but that’s not evidence of “inequality” - you’re just not a police officer, it’s not your job to do so. If you want to give people traffic tickets, you have a path to becoming a police officer - just apply. If you want the power to handle classified documents, run for president. Literally anyone who fulfils the criteria listed in the constitution can do that. I’m going to ignore the rest of the post because it’s moralistic rambling, and I have no interest in that - this is a thread about legal proceedings, not about Trump’s character.
Trump is on tape acknowledging that he failed to even start the process of declassification while he was president, and also acknowledging the fact that he no longer has that power. Not much which can be done to refute that evidence.

WalterSlovotsky

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Trump is on tape acknowledging that he failed to even start the process of declassification while he was president, and also acknowledging the fact that he no longer has that power. Not much which can be done to refute that evidence.
More than sixteen THOUSAND posts.

Do. You. Have. A. Life?

WalterSlovotsky

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, much of it spent multitasking. Do you still have your virginity? Rhetorical question, of course.
Well, I DID create you. Not something I am proud of. But, your mom gave me her EBT card for a whole month, which was nice.

You need to speak to your real father more respectfully, son. We're going to have a talk about this if I ever come home. I am still getting a pack of smokes. Sorry for missing your ball game.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Well, I DID create you. Not something I am proud of. But, your mom gave me her EBT card for a whole month, which was nice.

You need to speak to your real father more respectfully, son. We're going to have a talk about this if I ever come home. I am still getting a pack of smokes. Sorry for missing your ball game.
Rhetorical means doesn't require a response, and in addition that was the worst comeback I've ever heard. Let me know when you graduate elementary school and you're allowed to curse occasionally.

WalterSlovotsky

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rhetorical means doesn't require a response, and in addition that was the worst comeback I've ever heard. Let me know when you graduate elementary school and you're allowed to curse occasionally.
Sixteen. THOUSAND. Posts.

And you want to call ME a virgin.

LMFAO.

Please. My boy. My son that I never wanted. Go outside. Touch grass. Feel wind and sun. Go meet a man or a lady.

This is just sad. THIS is your social outlet.

I mean with this every fiber of my being; NOTHING you can say to me, even if it were true, would be as sad and pathetic as your existence, sitting here proud of his status on a gaming forum that you have made SIXTEEN THOUSAND POSTS ON.

I am happy to give you this victory. It is more than obvious that you need it. NEED need it.

Please do not kill yourself. I am sure your life has value to someone.

Blocking you now. Enjoy arguing with yourself.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Sixteen. THOUSAND. Posts.

And you want to call ME a virgin.
Nothing wrong with being a virgin when you aren't old enough to drive yet.

This is just sad. THIS is your social outlet.
I've got several online and off, actually. Imagine not knowing what it's like being able to type quickly lmao.

Please do not kill yourself. I am sure your life has value to someone.
Was never even in consideration, but you're free to go play kickball blindfolded in the middle of a five-lane highway.

• Haha
Reactions: EthanB and KingVamp

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Haven’t listened to the tape, so I have no opinion on it. Timeframe will be very important to establish here, the relevant part is not when the recording was made, but when the documents were removed from their place of custody. The key thing to keep in mind is that Trump wasn’t exactly an expert politician when he was in office, so what he *says* can be at odds with what he was actually permitted to do. As I linked above, it’s unclear if he was even bound by any specific executive order - he was Chief Executive. As far as the constitution is concerned, the process is what the sitting president decides it to be, so if he was the sitting president at the time then that’s his recourse. I’ll wait and see how everything plays out rather than draw premature conclusions.

lolcatzuru

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looking into it, it does seem like there aren't any laws preventing him from running and even being the president while in prison. So yeah, kind of dumb.

I've yet to see any of that from him. Although he does appear to be incorrect here, I don't think that's the result of anything you just mentioned. I also have my doubts that he supports anything harmful happening to kids.

in fact not only are there no laws, there are also no info on declassifying docs either! weird!

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Looking into it, it does seem like there aren't any laws preventing him from running and even being the president while in prison. So yeah, kind of dumb.
Must’ve missed that post, but I’ll respond to it now. There’s historical precedent for running a presidential campaign from behind bars - that’s what Eugene V. Debs did in the 1920 election after being convicted under the Sedition Act, which is an extension to… the Espionage Act.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sedition_Act_of_1918

Even if Trump ends up behind bars for any of these charges, historical and legal precedent seems to suggest that he could still run.

lolcatzuru

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Depends on if they find him guilty of destruction of documents, which would prevent him from holding any future office.

not if he hires bleachbit.
Post automatically merged:

Must’ve missed that post, but I’ll respond to it now. There’s historical precedent for running a presidential campaign from behind bars - that’s what Eugene V. Debs in 1920 did in after being convicted under the Sedition Act, which is an extension to… the Espionage Act.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sedition_Act_of_1918

Even if Trump ends up behind bars for any of these charges, historical and legal precedent seems to suggest that he could still run.

the bigger question is what would happen if he won.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
not if he hires bleachbit.
Trump hired the pool boy to drain it into the server room instead. Every accusation is an admission with this idiot.

the bigger question is what would happen if he won.
If he even wins the Republican primary from prison it's time to move past that party entirely, it would lay bare the many flaws of a two-party system.

lolcatzuru

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Trump hired the pool boy to drain it into the server room instead. Every accusation is an admission with this idiot.

If he even wins the Republican primary from prison it's time to move past that party entirely, it would lay bare the many flaws of a two-party system.

i mean, not really, in fact its literally not the case here, the messiah himself even said it. I imagine he won't, as the powers that be won't let him, your girl just spelled out the writing on the wall just a few days ago and that does seem to be where its trending, but if by some imagination he did, then its the opposite, time to embrace the party even more, though i will agree with you the 2 party system is a poison in this nation ironically was started by the opposing team, and is one that has seemed to wear off yet.

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Problem is that pro trump judge who gave him a special master is presiding over the case,, I do hope garland tosses out the judge befoore the case it'll be a disaster if he doesn't but let me pain a bleak picture if he wins the election fist off let's say a red wave also occurs in congress too 1)trump will go full hitler seize full control over the USA 2) and the most dangerous part a second holocost (for a lack of a better term) but instead of ethnicity being the target political affiliation with democrats and independents (Don't forget MTG litterally tweeted to kill dems) THIS IS WHAT I FEAR THE MOST not WW3 i rather die from nuclear war than to live under thee iron fist of trrump

lolcatzuru

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Problem is that pro trump judge who gave him a special master is presiding over the case,, I do hope garland tosses out the judge befoore the case it'll be a disaster if he doesn't but let me pain a bleak picture if he wins the election fist off let's say a red wave also occurs in congress too 1)trump will go full hitler seize full control over the USA 2) and the most dangerous part a second holocost (for a lack of a better term) but instead of ethnicity being the target political affiliation with democrats and independents (Don't forget MTG litterally tweeted to kill dems) THIS IS WHAT I FEAR THE MOST not WW3 i rather die from nuclear war than to live under thee iron fist of trrump

well i hae some good news for you, you seem to be in some sort of fugue state, as there will be no hitler version of trump, in fact trump only really aligns with hitler in terms of pushing gobbelsesque injections but otherwise is pretty far removed from hitler. Secondly, you really arent gonna like what happens to the senate in 2024 so you may wanna look at real estate in other countries, and Lastly, theres no case here so the good news itll be over quickly.

lolcatzuru

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
guess i'll just pray for the destruction of the human race then (including myself)

i mean, you do you, i would recommend getting some help as i in no way condone the destruction of any race in any capacity, and thats come from someone who is generally votes to the right, but also because again, you seem to have some kind of problem that seems to be out of my realm of expertise to resolve.
Post automatically merged:

He's been a member for over 9 years, that's like 5 posts a day. Jesus do some math dude.

similarly, no he doesnt, just to clarify.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I imagine he won't, as the powers that be won't let him
It has nothing to do with "the powers that be," everything to do with the fact that nobody should be permitted to run again after being careless with nuclear secrets and military intelligence, or even worse, selling them to the highest bidder. That said, triggering the 14th amendment may require congressional action, at which point it would almost certainly stall. I have no doubt the Republican party, spineless as it is now, would allow Trump to run from prison or even Russia if he managed to maintain a slim lead over DeSantis.

Last edited by Xzi,
Reactions: KingVamp
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Good deal. I love Sun chips. I also love Rye chips, and had to order some from Amazon cause can't find in stores much anymore.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Fucking subways like that'll be $3
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Is funny how they replaced the $5 foot long sub, with a 1" wide $5 foot long cookie or cinna stick, cheap asses
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They still have but it's like $10 cookies honestly not a bad deal for $5
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Bidenomics
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    True, everything almost double nowadays
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    But I could go to Aldis and get a cookie pie for like $4
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or use your new cooking pan and make some, don't mind the Old leftover foods mixed in.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just eat plain flour around cops
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    thats Gluten abuse, they would shoot you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Depends on the color chart
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Wheat flour has a lower chance at survival
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Isn't wheat flour the whitest of the white?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Rye would get shot at sight.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Depends
    img_5941-1.jpeg
    everyone mixing their flour now days
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That's whole wheat, right? Because all purpose flour is also made from wheat.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm not a flour expert I just snort it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    There also is black rice flour, and its really black colored
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Bruh that's gray.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's ancientboi color
  • Veho @ Veho:
    You need to add some activated charcoal.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've seen some that are dark dark, my wifey uses it sometimes in her bs recipes
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I've seen some that are dark dark, my wifey uses it sometimes in her bs recipes