• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Donald Trump impeachment investigation over Ukranian phone call...

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
For every problem a solution, eh? The bottom line is that Trump simply isn't intelligent enough to understand basic legal concepts or think through questions before responding to them. His mouth and his ego do the leading, which is precisely how he ended up breaking federal election laws in the first place.
That is the problem. I love when he speaks, but sometimes I would love if he could just shut up, and perhaps fire some unsavoury characters that are around him and do him no favours, particularly Rudy.

Reactions: Xzi

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The reason why the fifth exists is specifically to curb this kind of mentality - "if you don't do anything wrong then you have nothing to worry about" is what tyrants say when they want to justify blatantly evil acts. In a free country you have a right to speak and an equally important right to stay silent.

I could write a great deal of things Trump has said that would paint himself in that exact picture, but no one here is changing anyone else's mind, on anything. Period. It's all rather pointless really. Anyway. The right to free speech does not equate freedom from consequence when enacting upon said freedom. If you say something you shouldn't say, there will more than likely be consequences for it.

Reactions: IncredulousP

morvoran

President-Elect
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The bottom line is that Trump simply isn't intelligent enough to understand basic legal concepts or think through questions before responding to them. His mouth and his ego do the leading, which is precisely how he ended up breaking federal election laws in the first place.
It's precisely why he is the POTUS. Not sure where you liberals get that he broke any laws. I guess if your leaders feed you enough lies, you eventually believe them to be true. Such a shame...

Trump is a dumb dumb. His ignorance and ego is going to cost him.
His "ignorance" and "ego" is what made him as rich as he is now as well as the POTUS. I wouldn't call that being a "dumb dumb". Where's your tower with your last name on it?

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's precisely why he is the POTUS. Not sure where you liberals get that he broke any laws. I guess if your leaders feed you enough lies, you eventually believe them to be true. Such a shame...

His "ignorance" and "ego" is what made him as rich as he is now as well as the POTUS. I wouldn't call that being a "dumb dumb". Where's your tower with your last name on it?

Can you do me a favor and fact check how many bankruptcies Trump has filed? Have you seen his taxes to know exactly how rich he is? His father made him rich, and the electoral is precisely why he is POTUS, not his mouth or ego, nor the people of the USA.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
That is the problem. I love when he speaks, but sometimes I would love of he could just shut up. And perhaps fire some unsavoury characters that are around him and do him no favours, particularly Rudy.
If he listened to people who are more intelligent than him, he wouldn't be Donald Trump. Instead he started by packing his administration with bottom-of-the-barrel appointees, and he's fired several rounds of those, so now he's dug about twenty feet under the barrel to people like Giuliani. Eventually he'll run out of yes men to take the fall for him.

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the

I think all reviewers should stop reviewing video games talking about why they think a game sucks. I don't see them making millions making video games. Where's their millions? EA games is prohibited from being reviewed until you become a million dollar game designer yourself.

Reactions: Xzi

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I could write a great deal of things Trump has said that would paint himself in that exact picture, but no one here is changing anyone else's mind, on anything. Period. It's all rather pointless really. Anyway. The right to free speech does not equate freedom from consequence when enacting upon said freedom. If you say something you shouldn't say, there will more than likely be consequences for it.
"Freedom of speech doesn't mean freedom from consequences" is a fallacy parroted by people who do not understand the principle. In the spirit of freedom of speech the state should not penalise you for *words*, it should only penalise *actions*. Of course we apply a degree of common sense to the base principle, otherwise threats, libel and defamation would be legal, which they're not, but this is beyond the scope of this conversation. What's within the scope of the conversation is the fact that witnesses should not be coerced to speak as they have a constitutional right to stay silent if they so choose, and with the constitution being the equivalent of the Bible as far as law is concerned it could hardly be considered "obstruction", before someone draws that obvious connection. Trump is under no obligation to help an investigation into himself - quite the opposite, he has the right not to be involved at all so long as he doesn't take any action that deliberately impedes it. Inaction doesn't count.

morvoran

President-Elect
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Damn, you sure got me on that one. My face is red now, shit.
As long as you learned your lesson, I'll forgive you.

Can you do me a favor and fact check how many bankruptcies Trump has filed? Have you seen his taxes to know exactly how rich he is? His father made him rich, and the electoral is precisely why he is POTUS, not his mouth or ego, nor the people of the USA.
He's still rich, his father's dead, and the electoral voted him in because he isn't a corrupt evil doer like Killary "arkancide" Clinton.
His mouth and ego is exactly why he will win in 2020, also.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I think all reviewers should stop reviewing video games talking about why they think a game sucks. I don't see them making millions making video games. Where's their millions? EA games is prohibited from being reviewed until you become a million dollar game designer yourself.
If they want to make money, stop saying a game sucks because of some "underlying motive" or that it lacks "diversity". Plenty of game reviewers are broke because the company they work for doesn't pay them enough money, so they should freelance or start their own companies.
Are you making any money putting Trump down? I'm not making any money supporting him (other than all the policies that take less taxes from me, increase my earnings, etc.) and am far from a millionaire (half way there, but I don't consider that close).
I am not like the liberals here who would rather impeach a president that I don't like rather than support him to make the US better that it already is. The economy is booming (better than it has in over 50 years), unemployment is the lowest its been in decades, and even the lower class of people are earning more on their paychecks.

Last edited by morvoran,

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Trump owns approximately 500 businesses under The Trump Organisation umbrella, out of which 6 businesses went through corporate bankruptcy. This means his business ventures are 98.8% successful, which is a phenomenal result considering the fact that 20% of businesses fail within the first year, 30% in their second, 50% within the first five and finally 70% within 10 years. Attacking Trump on the grounds of his business sense is a fool's errand, he's high up on the list of the wealthiest Americans and he's still a billionaire, in spite of some financial difficulties in the past. Although the exact size of his fortune is undetermined, his net worth is in the whereabouts of $3 billion - a sizable sum.

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the electoral voted him in because he isn't a corrupt evil doer like Killary "arkancide" Clinton.
His mouth and ego is exactly why he will win in 2020, also.

Which is it? First you said his mouth and ego were PRECISELY why he is POTUS. Now you're agreeing it was the electoral. And why does it matter if his father is dead? He still became rich from his father. The evil doer business we will never agree on so we may as well not go there further. You never did the fact checking I requested.

"Freedom of speech doesn't mean freedom from consequences" is a fallacy parroted by people who do not understand the principle.

Untrue. Take earlier for example. People were 100% free to say as they wanted. Freedom of speech, correct? Yet people had consequences for what they said, despite that freedom. Warnings were issued, comments altered, someone suspended. Or how about someone go tell their boss what a complete piece of shit they think he/she is? Freedom of speech, but consequences. I don't think it's a matter of not understanding the principle whatsoever. I laid it out quite clearly and accurately. Freedom of speech does not equate freedom of consequence. Period. I'm not sure how it can be misunderstood by anyone. Shrug. :)

Reactions: IncredulousP

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Untrue. Take earlier for example. People were 100% free to say as they wanted. Freedom of speech, correct? Yet people had consequences for what they said, despite that freedom. Warnings were issued, comments altered, someone suspended. Or how about someone go tell their boss what a complete piece of shit they think he/she is? Freedom of speech, but consequences. I don't think it's a matter of not understanding the principle whatsoever. I laid it out quite clearly and accurately. Freedom of speech does not equate freedom of consequence. Period. I'm not sure how it can be misunderstood by anyone. Shrug. :)
You misunderstand. GBAtemp is a private organisation - we're in charge of the forum and we get to decide what discussions are allowed and what level of decorum is required to participate. If you said what you've said in the middle of the street, I would have no issues with you having your say. However, because you're saying it on this turf, I do have a say, and a part of my job is enforcing the rules of the board, which is what I did. There's a bit of a difference between a private forum and a public forum, or a private entity and the state. What you do in your own time on your own lawn, or in public, is none of my concern - that's not my jurisdiction and thus none of my business. I hope that illuminates it a little bit.

Reactions: Lacius

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
If they want to make money, stop saying a game sucks because of some "underlying motive" or that it lacks "diversity".
I wasn't talking about lack of diversity but thanks for that eye roll sentence you gave that seemingly came out of nowhere, Completely purposefully missing the point of my original post just so you can defend yourself. You are now reaching.

Last edited by SG854,

morvoran

President-Elect
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Which is it? First you said his mouth and ego were PRECISELY why he is POTUS. Now you're agreeing it was the electoral.
you must not know how the electoral college works. People in a state vote for who they want to be president, then the electoral college votes for that person giving them their electoral votes. Those people voted for Trump because they liked his message (that came out if his mouth) and his ego (they liked how he said what he wanted and didn't back down or apologize). In my opinion, this isn't really that hard to understand, but I guess opinions differ from one to another.

Now, we have Democrats that didn't like the fact that Trump won on his platform and message, so they are doing everything they can to impeach him for doing nothing wrong.

I wasn't talking about lack of diversity but thanks for that eye roll sentence you gave that seemingly came out of nowhere, Completely purposefully missing the point of my original post just so you can defend yourself. You are now reaching.
No, I was explaining why video game reviewers aren't rich to go along with what you said that had nothing to do with what I said prior to someone else. Just handing back what I was given.

Last edited by morvoran,

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You misunderstand. GBAtemp is a private organisation - we're in charge of the forum and we get to decide what discussions are allowed and what level of decorum is required to participate. If you said what you've said in the middle of the street, I would have no issues with you having your say. However, because you're saying it on this turf, I do have a say, and a part of my job is enforcing the rules of the board, which is what I did. There's a bit of a difference between a private forum and a public forum, or a private entity and the state. What you do in your own time on your own lawn, or in public, is none of my concern - that's not my jurisdiction and thus none of my business. I hope that illuminates it a little bit.

I still disagree. I could say anything I wanted in the middle of the street, or anywhere for that matter, and still have consequences for my own actions/speech. Agree to disagree on this one.

you must not know how the electoral college works. People in a state vote for who they want to be president, then the electoral college votes for that person giving them their electoral votes. Those people voted for Trump because they liked his message (that came out if his mouth) and his ego (they liked how he said what he wanted and didn't back down or apologize). In my opinion, this isn't really that hard to understand, but I guess opinions differ from one to another.

You must not understand how 3 million more votes by the people of the USA works. And for the record, I did not vote for Hillary. I can't stand her. Or Pelosi. Or several other Dems. Trump also spoke out against the electoral, saying it is unfair and should be done away with. That is, until he won because of it.

morvoran

President-Elect
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You must not understand how 3 million more votes by the people of the USA works. And for the record, I did not vote for Hillary. I can't stand her. Or Pelosi. Or several other Dems. Trump also spoke out against the electoral, saying it is unfair and should be done away with. That is, until he won because of it.
I understand how mob rule works as did our founding fathers which is why they created the electoral college.
Besides Google gave Hillary those 3 millions votes through voter persuasion. A Democrat doctor investigated Google's influence and found they gave Hillary a minimum of 2.6 million to 15 million extra votes that should have gone to Trump.
Trump would have won both the electoral and popular votes if it wasn't for big tech and the deep state.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I understand how mob rule works as did our founding fathers which is why they created the electoral college.
Besides Google gave Hillary those 3 millions votes through voter persuasion. A Democrat doctor investigated Google's influence and found they gave Hillary a minimum of 2.6 million to 15 million extra votes that should have gone to Trump.
Trump would have won both the electoral and popular votes if it wasn't for big tech and the deep state.
  1. That's not why the Electoral College was created.
  2. Google didn't give Hillary 3 million votes.
I'm pretty sure you're satirizing conservatives, but I had to interject.

Reactions: D34DL1N3R

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the

Now, we have Democrats that didn't like the fact that Trump won on his platform and message, so they are doing everything they can to impeach him for doing nothing wrong.

No, I was explaining why video game reviewers aren't rich to go along with what you said that had nothing to do with what I said prior to someone else. Just handing back what I was given.
Putting Trump down is a booming industry. People are making lots of money talking about Trump.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I still disagree. I could say anything I wanted in the middle of the street, or anywhere for that matter, and still have consequences for my own actions/speech. Agree to disagree on this one.
In the private sphere, yes. You might face ridicule from your peers for acting like a crazy preacher. Perhaps a police officer would perform a wellness check on you to verify that you're not a crazy person and this is just your hobby, but unless you were disturbing the peace in some weird manner, you'd be in the clear as far as the state is concerned. I'm not sure how to better illustrate this for you.

To put it into perspective, *you* as an individual can penalise someone for saying something you don't like, for instance by refusing to associate with them - that's well-within your freedom of association. You can stop talking them, you can stop going to their store, you can even organise a boycott if you want.

The government can't do that - the 1st prohibits Congress from enacting any law that restricts freedom of speech and expression. We make *small exceptions* from that rule by treating certain specific forms of speech as actionable or otherwise harmful - this includes threats of physical violence, calls to violence, defamation, libel etc., but those are few exceptions from a broad and overarching rule.

You can see it in motion if you've ever seen any "Change my Mind" memes - it would be illegal for the state to arrest Stephen Crowder just for sitting at a table and talking in public, but it is not illegal for you to not watch his show or associate with him based on something he's said.

Reactions: Lacius

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Cranesbill @ Cranesbill: I forgot I was in this group :skull: