• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Donald Trump announces he has COVID-19

wartutor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well some doctor is now getting millions to make sure they recover. Dont worry taxes will pick up the bill (aka you and me)

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How was I supposed to know you meant that? I guess I'm "dense" for not being able to read minds...
Well when I say stupid bullshit in this regard, one would hope I mean about all the dumb shit we typically argue about in politics (birth certificate, taxes, recordings of locker room talk, etc. etc.), ya know the stuff that really doesn't matter at the end of the day. And not the more serious shit.

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I suppose that's what you get when you try and downplay the virus, hold massive indoor events right now, and only rarely actually wear a mask.

Though the cynic in me has me wondering if this is a calculated lie, so he can pop back up 2 days later say he's better than ever and it was no big deal, and then use that as supposed proof that the dangers of this virus has been blown out of proportion.
no it's quite the opposite
he will try and sell a drug treatment or a vax o his retarded supporters and the q tardz
big pharma needs to convince at least 50 % of the country to take the vax
they know the country is divided and his supporters don't believe in the virus
recent polls found only 20% are willing to take their vaccine
they need to try and sell it
and they need to keep they hysteria going too for the second lockdown so they can get their
agendas passed , agenda 21 agenda 230 , the great reset

gregory-samba

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you... did you not read anything I typed?

If we are talking about the death rate just among those tested, it's 208,000 deaths divided by 7,310,000 cases in the USA. That's 2.8%.

If you want to talk about the estimated infection fatality rate (IFR) overall, it's about 0.65% according to the CDC.

If you want to talk about the estimated IFR for someone who is Trump's age, etc., it's about 4%.

I get the whole masks are important thing (at least in theory) but in my opinion with that there is so much inconsistency I am not sold on how effective they really are if at all for most people.

I wear them when I go to the store but based on what I see when I am out there the majority of people I see it probably makes no difference. They get their shopping cart then boom adjust their mask touch their ears, their face, etc.. And continue to do this while they walk around the store. A virus particle is only like 60 nano meters in size. if you are a kid who is shedding a ton of virus (unlike older people, from everything I have read they are not really efficient in doing this) and this kid is walking around a store with a mask on he is blasting 60 nano meter sized particles everywhere he goes. If you happen to walk in his path regardless of the mask (unless it is a real mask made for that stuff that the doctors use) you are going to breath in particles they have expelled. They land on the cart, you handle it and then touch your face and there you go again.

The act of wearing a mask could even make the virus spread more for a certain portion of the population. Due to bad execution of the safety protocol you have been told to follow. I am no doctor or surgeon but I bet mask effectiveness falls apart due to dozens of mistakes people inadvertently make while using them.

Your original quote that I responded to cited a 0.2% fatality rate, which is flat out wrong:

If you had just stated the death rate closer to reality, like 99% or so, I wouldn't have challenged your math.
That's why studies keep coming out proving your assumption wrong?

55% of coronavirus patients still have neurological problems three months later: study
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/5...-problems-three-months-later-study-2020-08-07

So we can all agree the death rate is no larger than 3%? Because, there's tons of percentages flying around. It's still not that deadly of a virus. 3% isn't that much, nor is 1%.

Also that % of people experiencing neurological problems, from what I've read in the past, are out of the people that were hospitalized and not the general overall population that had the virus.

I love how not wanting to freak everyone out is downplaying it. I also love how you guys lecture about the Trump rallies yet give a free pass to the rioters, looters. and protestors. And yes, the virus is being blown out of proportion for political reasons. If it was as bad as they say, they wouldn't have to cook the numbers by adding people who died of shootings and in motorcycle crashes to the Covid lists.

Now let's watch the so called loving and tolerant left get giddy at the thought of Trump dying while they paint the right-wing as hateful.

Spot on. The Democrats and Liberals rarely practice what they preach. They simply do whatever feels good or is convenient at the time. Asking them to take a hard moral chance on something is pointless as they change direction like the wind.

No, that incorrect picture was painted when the leftist dinosaur media when they had a stranglehold on the flow of info. And like the leftist dinosaur media, the picture is dying as people realize it is the left who hates everything America stands for.

Isn't it funny how the anti-war left went MIA under Obama?

Sounds like you "took the red pill". Most responsible people that work hard realize what the freeloading liberals are and what they stand for and want nothing to do with them. Liberals all share a common mindset that doesn't including taking responsibility for their own actions or doing the right thing.

Last edited by gregory-samba,

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
Trump announces he has the best cures, the best cures in the world. No one else has cure like he does.

042320_TrumpBleachCOVID19_DonkeyHotey.jpg

Last edited by SG854,
Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
So we can all agree the death rate is no larger than 3%? Because, there's tons of percentages flying around. It's still not that deadly of a virus. 3% isn't that much, nor is 1%.
Deathrate is below 1%. But thats not necessarily small, neither is 3%.

edit: redone math

Take a family with 4 grandparents, 4 kids of theirs (coupled up in twos), and 2x2 kids of their own (12 people) deathrate of 1% means every eighth family is loosing a family member to Covid. Or would mean if infection rate was 100%.

Here is your graphic comparing it it other causes of death:
https://nymag.com/intelligencer/202...of-u-s-coronavirus-deaths-in-one-graphic.html

edit: And that has a statistical issue tied to it. Deathrate amongst your elderly population is about 5% once infected. So that means, every edit: fifth family in the example would be affected. Every third, or second, if there are more people above 80 years old in your population. (but then the chance of a family still having all 4 grandparents, also drops)
-

Thats the argument if you look at 'human life loss'. If you are more pragmatic (and cynical) you look at life years lost, and those are not as high. But then again, the issue is not so much the deathrate, but the rate of spread.

Last edited by notimp,

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Also that % of people experiencing neurological problems, from what I've read in the past, are out of the people that were hospitalized and not the general overall population that had the virus.

Spot on. The Democrats and Liberals rarely practice what they preach. They simply do whatever feels good or is convenient at the time. Asking them to take a hard moral chance on something is pointless as they change direction like the wind.

Sounds like you "took the red pill". Most responsible people that work hard realize what the freeloading liberals are and what they stand for and want nothing to do with them. Liberals all share a common mindset that doesn't including taking responsibility for their own actions or doing the right thing.
First, I'd like you to concede that the "more tests equals more cases" argument is dead. At the very least, if you still disagree with me, I'd like you to at least articulate my point about percentages using the 100 people example so I at least know that you read my post and you understand what I'm saying.

As for the death rate, you are right that an overall death rate of 1-3% is not very high. The problem is that when you combine that death rate with its infectious rate, you get a lot of deaths. If we don't social distance, wear masks, etc. before a vaccine is released to the public, then pretty much every American is going to catch COVID-19. A 1% death rate of 328 million people is 3.28 million deaths, for example.

Purple_Shyguy

Trophies
XP
Country
I suppose that's what you get when you try and downplay the virus, hold massive indoor events right now, and only rarely actually wear a mask.

Though the cynic in me has me wondering if this is a calculated lie, so he can pop back up 2 days later say he's better than ever and it was no big deal, and then use that as supposed proof that the dangers of this virus has been blown out of proportion.

Didnt Black Lives Matters show its fine to do all those things though?

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last edited by Lacius,

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Didnt Black Lives Matters show its fine to do all those things though?
If your mean the large protests, I must have missed the part where I was in favor of things like those at a time like this (though for what it's worth, at least they were outside, and for the most part they were wearing their masks, so credit there. All the same, not something that should happen right now either)

Last edited by MikaDubbz,

gregory-samba

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First, I'd like you to concede that the "more tests equals more cases" argument is dead. At the very least, if you still disagree with me, I'd like you to at least articulate my point about percentages using the 100 people example so I at least know that you read my post and you understand what I'm saying.

As for the death rate, you are right that an overall death rate of 1-3% is not very high. The problem is that when you combine that death rate with its infectious rate, you get a lot of deaths. If we don't social distance, wear masks, etc. before a vaccine is released to the public, then pretty much every American is going to catch COVID-19. A 1% death rate of 328 million people is 3.28 million deaths, for example.

I'm not conceding to anything nor feel like repeating myself. You disagree with me and that's fine. The way things are designed now and the way the virus spreads wearing a mask and social distancing still isn't going to make the virus vanish. It can spread on surfaces and in the air. Being six feet from someone that exhales isn't enough if you simply walk behind them and then walk right into the air they exhaled. It's been shown to be on imported seafood too, so it can survive on stuff sick people handle for weeks.

While I agree that masks and distancing help a little bit, it's not a fool proof solution. The only fool proof solution would be to have an actual quarantine situation where everyone is confined to their residences and cannot leave under any circumstance. The facts are that the virus isn't that deadly so a real quarantine isn't really needed, but if this virus was actually really deadly that would be the only way to make sure it doesn't spread.

D

Deleted User

Enough of the BLM and liberal association. I'm a liberal and cannot stand BLM.

A common sense post from a Liberal. I am impressed.

BLM is a scam created by George Soros.

The leaders of the Democratic party stay in their gated communities safe while they encourage rioting. That shows they do not care about black people it was and is a tactic to get Biden elected. It may actual work so I must applaud them for being smart even if it's an evil smart.

Last edited by ,

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not conceding to anything nor feel like repeating myself. You disagree with me and that's fine. The way things are designed now and the way the virus spreads wearing a mask and social distancing still isn't going to make the virus vanish. It can spread on surfaces and in the air. Being six feet from someone that exhales isn't enough if you simply walk behind them and then walk right into the air they exhaled. It's been shown to be on imported seafood too, so it can survive on stuff sick people handle for weeks.
The problem is you haven't addressed my point about how "more tests means more cases" is a bad argument when the infection rate as a percentage of tests is increasing. You're just ignoring me. "Nuh uh" isn't a good counter argument.

D

Deleted User

When has he ever gotten any fallout for getting caught for anything?

I guess you've been in a coma. Dems have been trying to nail him with impeachments and fake news this entire term. Is it his fault their lies didn't succeed? Nope.

It's funny how Democrats accuse others of what they do. They're the ones who lie, so now they got it in people's minds that Trump is lying about having the virus. Sure it make a ton of since for him to be laying in a hospital bed before the election. That'll sure rack up the votes.

So you Dems believe in the virus until Trump has it now it's fake. Your logic is so screwed up it's hilarious.

Last edited by ,

omgcat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why isn't he taking hydroxychloroquine? I thought it was supposed to be a covid killer? Instead he's taking the other experimental drugs. Maybe his hydroxy claims were lies after all.

crimpshrine

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am curious for those in the USA how many know others that have had Covid-19 that are tied to you? I myself have had like 12 in extended family - outside of my house. Only 2 of them knew it was covid-19 at the time, 1 was back in April and was tested and 1 a month ago because they got tested at college. Major outbreaks in college, but in the state I am in 0 have ever needed to go to the hospital, less harmful then the flu statistically for that age group.

The other 10 was all from anti-body tests how they found out, it was a domino effect. 1 was at the doctor complaining about losing their sense of smell back in June from allergies and they gave them the antibody test and it came back they had antibodies. So then the light bulbs started going off for the others. And then they all eventually did the anti-body test. 1 of them was an adult who was 75 with COPD who just thought it was allergies at the time and it lasted like 2 weeks. All the others just thought it was common allergies at the time or that they ate something bad. (A couple had stomach issues back in May/June) I don't have a lot of faith in the 14 day quarantine unless they re-test, my relative in college (they require negative test to come back) did not test negative till like 24 days. This person was asymptomatic, with young adults like this it is not the least bit surprising they spread it so much and from everything I have read young people are like factories for this virus compared to older people. And I know at least 5 from work.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Why isn't he taking hydroxychloroquine? I thought it was supposed to be a covid killer? Instead he's taking the other experimental drugs. Maybe his hydroxy claims were lies after all.

The data is out there, you still trying to bark up that tree? Really makes you look like you have TDS by doing that. It works and has been shown to work in at least 70+ studies at this point. And is safe, you should be questioning why our FDA screwed up so bad.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • mthrnite @ mthrnite:
    run dmc and ice t for me
    +1
  • mthrnite @ mthrnite:
    i do have the marshal mathers record tho, it's good stuff
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I was listening to the Ice T Iceberg CD other day, good stuff
  • mthrnite @ mthrnite:
    i concur
  • mthrnite @ mthrnite:
    power is my fave tho, masterpiece
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Still waiting on that new ll album
  • mthrnite @ mthrnite:
    steve miller band got me into rock from folk and country
  • mthrnite @ mthrnite:
    fly like an eagle
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You guys ever heard of group out of detroit called "Top Authority"? They were good too.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Guess this is the power of genres they make you talk about other artists
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    What are you guys talking about?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Hamsters
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    People that do drugs
  • mthrnite @ mthrnite:
    I been listening to a f-ton of jrock and jpop lately
  • mthrnite @ mthrnite:
    mainly a lot of go!go! and cibo matto
  • mthrnite @ mthrnite:
    and old ass prog like atomic rooster and gentle giant
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Lil' hamster yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, Big hamster yawn
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Stop stealing his sayings
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, svebe
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sometimes when I poop I just think that's it?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The worst is when its a dry poop, then you spend 20 minutes and ha!f a roll of TP wiping. Its like wiping TP over a magic marker, just won't stop showing.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: The worst is when its a dry poop, then you spend 20 minutes and ha!f a roll of TP wiping. Its...